What do you miss the most before becoming diabetic?

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Before acquiring my diabetes " buddy " I used to get up in the morning and just go.
Nowadays I have to make sure my " buddy " is put in his place and understands that the day belongs to me and not him.:):)

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just to clarify the high tea issue; I'm Dutch, and an Anglophile. I loved antiques, romance, class, traditional British things (from your china patterns to royalty) from when I was a kid. (My mom's the same. The embodyment of Hyacinth Bucket, but less.. Hyacinth-y.) When we went for a high tea at our wedding, it was an expression of things I loved, and wanting to share them with our families. I can do without the food just fine. Weirdly enough, as I never thought I'd say that. ;) I just can't express that side of myself and share it with my loved ones anymore. Though I still adore my Earl Grey. ;) Food is sentiment, I guess. But I've spent some time looking at the venue's menu options today, and their barbecue buffet works perfectly with keto. And maybe it's my husband's time to share his preferences now. ;)

Reactions: Diakat

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
While I agree there are many different ways to celebrate being together, as mentioned, I do find that sentence depressing. Why find a substitute? I have been to a couple of meal celebrations and it was no problem to find something to eat, and the sheer joy of sitting down together (in one case in a garden centre off the M5 as it was the easiest place for scattered friends and relatives to get to), talking, eating and drinking is just wonderful. I realise it's your opinion, but in so many circumstances the 'breaking of bread' together (figuratively speaking) at a special occasion is precious.

I could not agree more. It is precious, and the older I get the more I come to appreciate this. I would never, ever, let diabetes control me enough to miss out on these special occasions. Maybe it is easy for me to say, at my age, but what is a sandwich or two or a slice of cake on a special occasion in the grand scheme of things? One possible spike? Soon gone.

Reactions: becca59

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I could not agree more. It is precious, and the older I get the more I come to appreciate this. I would never, ever, let diabetes control me enough to miss out on these special occasions. Maybe it is easy for me to say, at my age, but what is a sandwich or two or a slice of cake on a special occasion in the grand scheme of things? One possible spike? Soon gone.

I can honestly say in the year since my diagnosis that I haven’t ‘cheated’! I didn’t realise how ill I had been feeling pre diagnosis until after I’d been diagnosed when I started to feel better. Do these sandwiches and slices of cake occasions and the ensuing spike make you feel unwell later that day or even the next day? I never want a repeat of that fatigue and brain fog that I put down to just getting older.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I can honestly say in the year since my diagnosis that I haven’t ‘cheated’! I didn’t realise how ill I had been feeling pre diagnosis until after I’d been diagnosed when I started to feel better. Do these sandwiches and slices of cake occasions and the ensuing spike make you feel unwell later that day or even the next day? I never want a repeat of that fatigue and brain fog that I put down to just getting older.

I don't think I did in my first year. (except Christmas Day)

I don't "cheat" very often. Special occasions don't come along that frequently. However, I have only felt ill once - and that was after a pub meal of homemade steak pie, rich gravy, and chips. (on our last holiday) I won't be doing that again. I have had maybe 2 slices of Victoria Sponge with clotted cream ladled on top in the last 4 years and felt fine. I have had odd pieces of crusty bread with a meal out in a restaurant and felt fine. For me, stuffing myself silly would make me ill, like with the pie and chips, but small portions of "cheat" food wouldn't. I don't make a habit of it. ;)

Reactions: Rachox

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's not that I regard eating something that will raise my bg as cheating. It's more my perfectionism (for good and bad). I am sadly by no means an athlete, not even an ex-athlete, but the moment I heard of "the power of marginal gains" in the context of British athleticism, it made total sense to me. The satisfaction of seeing a low reading on my meter totally outweighs the pleasure (so fleeting) of eating something. And it's so much easier not to have to choose what off-limits carbs to eat, in what situations, how many? In her best-selling book "Strong Women Stay Slim" Miriam Nelson uses the word "inappropriate". So, a quantity of calories that would be appropriate for eg an active young man would be quite inappropriate for me. In the same way, certain foods high in carbs are inappropriate for me and the idea of eating them, ever, just feels to me plain wrong. I like to think that everything I eat is in some way good for me. I can see that your Victoria sponge, @Bluetit1802, is good for you because it makes you happy, but it wouldn't work the same way for me.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't think I did in my first year. (except Christmas Day)

I don't "cheat" very often. Special occasions don't come along that frequently. However, I have only felt ill once - and that was after a pub meal of homemade steak pie, rich gravy, and chips. (on our last holiday) I won't be doing that again. I have had maybe 2 slices of Victoria Sponge with clotted cream ladled on top in the last 4 years and felt fine. I have had odd pieces of crusty bread with a meal out in a restaurant and felt fine. For me, stuffing myself silly would make me ill, like with the pie and chips, but small portions of "cheat" food wouldn't. I don't make a habit of it. ;)

I side stepped having to make a decision about Xmas Day by having my foot op just before. I felt so rotten from the Morphine that I had no appetite!

Reactions: Alexandra100

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I miss the feeling of just get up an go now its get up eat inject plan trips i.e have i got enough insulin needles hypo treatments and thats just for a day out thats what i miss the spontinaety

Reactions: mountaintom

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I side stepped having to make a decision about Xmas Day by having my foot op just before. I felt so rotten from the Morphine that I had no appetite!

There is always next Christmas, and the one after, and many more after that. ;) I was also in hospital just before Christmas, rushed in as an emergency with blue lights flashing, so when I was let out I was determined nothing was going to spoil Christmas Day with my family.

first14808

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just to clarify the high tea issue; I'm Dutch, and an Anglophile. I loved antiques, romance, class, traditional British things (from your china patterns to royalty) from when I was a kid. (My mom's the same. The embodyment of Hyacinth Bucket, but less.. Hyacinth-y.) When we went for a high tea at our wedding, it was an expression of things I loved, and wanting to share them with our families. I can do without the food just fine. Weirdly enough, as I never thought I'd say that. ;) I just can't express that side of myself and share it with my loved ones anymore. Though I still adore my Earl Grey. ;) Food is sentiment, I guess. But I've spent some time looking at the venue's menu options today, and their barbecue buffet works perfectly with keto. And maybe it's my husband's time to share his preferences now. ;)

We Brits are weird. Traditional Brits don't have high tea, they have dinner or supper. That comes after dinner, or lunch. It's generally safe to assume tea is an evening meal, unless it's in a mug. Then it's strong with milk and 2 sugars. Unless it's dinner, then Earl Grey may be acceptable, but also try Lady Grey in the interests of equality. The Greys are also odd because of bergamot, which tends to create a circular reference, ie bergamot tastes of Earl Grey because Earl Grey's flavoured with it. And not much else.. Although on the things to avoid list, some nice marmalades include it..

But that digression aside.. I think I still miss bread the most. Mainly because it was so handy to put things on and make a quick sandwich. Or be the ideal compliment for sardines, mashing them on toast. Luckily my spud cravings have pretty much gone.

As for making a traditional high tea, there's still low carb options, especially this time of year. So salad + hot or cold meat cuts, like tongue, ham, beef etc. which also fit an afternoon/evening buffet option.

And as for lollies.. I used to make my own. Give some strawberries, pineapple or general fruit a quick zap in a blender, add to a lolly mold and freeze. So carb-wise, they skip all the added sugar. Consistency can be a bit harder, but if you get enough air into the mix while blending, they can turn out more sorbet-like. Especially if you make.. adult versions and soak the fruit in some rum, brandy, vodka.. :p

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You could take your own jam. Here’s a recipe. It’s a really good substitute IMO:
https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/instant-low-carb-raspberry-jam

It is. Try it with some clotted cream on a Lidl roll (no, I'm not jealous. Not at all. :p) and it's almost like a cream tea scone.

Good call @Rachox and @Sue192

Pic attached of tonight’s “scone”. Would ditch the vanilla extract if making the jam again, but actually the scone would be fine with just the cream or fresh raspberries would work just as well.

77458021-132B-433E-BADA-D1B62D4C39AC.jpeg

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

mountaintom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I miss not having to carry my man bag around. I hate that.
Food? As a T1 I can eat whatever I please. I would, however, like to “grab” a KitKat occasionally and not have to rifle through my man bag before I eat it.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other

luv2spin

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes