What do u guys think about diabetic chocolate?

luv2spin

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
people who think they know about Diabetes, but they really don't
@Robbity

Congratulations

I sincerely applause you for being aware of this :)

if one compares the diabetic and the regular one's, the normal one has significanly less carbs and of everything.

but, I would not consume anything processed and which comes in a package!

unless, it was one piece of chocolate, or two or three...:), but, not any so called diabetics.

to be honest, I did not have any chocolate since ages, even centuries, as I have a very strict medical diet, it is not that I can not have it, I am scared of not stopping of eating it, them, all :):happy:

Last edited:

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I adore chocolate. I have the Hotel Chocolat 100% buttons, and break one into half a dozen bits. Three buttons (around 10g and 1g carbs) moe than satisfies this chocoholic’s cravings! They’re a bit much for a lot of people, but I’ve always been a dark chocolate fiend.

Reactions: Mal37

Mal37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Social situations
I eat Lindt 90% dark chocolate and I find that, if I take one square (okay sometimes two) and I break that square into pieces on a side plate to sit down with, then I feel as If I have eaten loads! It works! I also let each little piece melt in my mouth ... soooo good and chocolatey :D

Reactions: Alexandra100

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good old Polyols! Made that mistake once at Thorntons with some diabetic friendly treats-Never again,the toilet pan took some stick I can tell ya! :yuck::jimlad:

Clearing up the explosion in the pan is something I would rather not repeat. Once is enough!

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ewwwww!!!!! Diabetic chocolate tastes just like cardboard, I think cardboard tastes better :)
I remember way back when my gran used to buy me diabetic chocolate when I was a small child (so back in the early 80's ish), and omg that stuff was horrible, we had to pretend that I'd eaten it and enjoyed it so as not to upset said gran :)

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: urbanracer

luv2spin

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
@Robbity

"Diabetic Labeling" misleading pwd's as a marketing tool.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Robbity

"Diabetic Labeling" misleading pwd's as a marketing tool.
It was just a passing comment regarding advice - it's certainly not something I would have ever considered buying anyway as I prefer to eal real/fresh food.

Robbity

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
This thread reminded me of something I'd been meaning to share. (Sincere apologies to @steveis36 for hijacking)

Whilst in the Philippines earlier this year, I happened to see this stuff in a few supermarkets being marketed quite aggressively as Nutrition Powder forDiabetics.

View attachment 26636

That labelling system seems more comprehensive than ours in the UK.

Reactions: urbanracer

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
I think it would be a good idea

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For what it's worth I once managed to boot a diabetic Easter egg high enough to get stuck in my mums pear tree :) and anyone who sent me diabetic chocolates got them re wrapped for their birthday.

I may have swapped the contents of a box of sorbitol for custard powder once over.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would consider an alternative such as Whole Earth peanut butter (between 4.9 and 7 grams of carbs per 100), mash a few hazelnuts, grate in some dark chocolate and mix. I have done this with almonds and pecans - delicious and less than 10 grams of carbs per 100, so minimal per generous portion.

I can eat that whole Earth stuff straight from the jar :p

Simon84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can eat that whole Earth stuff straight from the jar :p

Yep,I'm guilty as charged for doing the same with that one too! Usually with my finger which goes down like a lead balloon with the missus and kids who were planning on making sandwiches with it the next day!

Simon84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m not :D

Not sugary perhaps but you look 'Sweet' to me Mel and remember that God only made a few perfect people...The rest He/She gave a working Endocrine system. (That's what I tell myself anyway) ;):D

luv2spin

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
@Robbity

real/fresh food; Excellent :)

"The food you eat can either be the safest & most powerful form of medicine...

...or the slowest form of poison."

as in addition to my reply statement for the thread;

So when someone gives me diabetic chocolate…

I know that they mean well. They’re trying to help.

I thank them for their thoughtfulness and kind gesture.

Then explain to them that diabetic is not necessary. That they can give the treats as a moderate piece of very dark and regular chocolate which gives me — the every-little-thing-gonna-be-alright kind of feeling.

And if they don’t want to listen and they keep giving me diabetic chocolate, there’s always the trash can.

~ luv2spin :):happy:

first14808

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Nah they are too sugary.

Hmm.. New Soylent Green, now with no added sugar! Suitable for followers of the carnivore diet!

I've offended a few 'go vegan to save the planet' types by pointing out that as far as the food pyramid goes, they ain't top. I can eat them, they can't eat me. Sometimes I need to work on my political correctness. Legalities aside though, main risk seems to be prion diseases, ie Kuru from eating brains. Which kinda begs the question why zombies don't die from that.. :p

And moving quickly back to topic & possibly a hazelnut in every bite.. How can we make a low carb spread using lovely high cocoa chocolate? Guessing some form of emulsifier would be needed to make it spreadable.