Magnificent May Fast!

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Apologies for my disappearing act - I've had (and still do) some sort of minor bug, my computer has been playing up and I'm having to look after a little dog in pain from a bad back , and husband's gone off gallvanting so I'm on my own foir nearly a week... Result: I sort of gave up on my daily fasts! :banghead:

I feel a bit guilty as @lindajanice had a much more worrying time with her granddaugher - i hope she's OK!

I'm going to have a browse now to see what's been going of fast wise since Thursday... But well done and a Gold Star gold_star.png
for everyone who's taken part so far.

Robbity

Reactions: rab5

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
This morning My ketostix was a shade darker, reading 1.5 mmol/l. Another 0.5kg down in weight. My shoes are now too big and I have prominent ankle bones again the odema seems resolved.
I didn't eat until 1.45pm today, when I had Greek yogurt with some flaked almonds. I still don't feel hungry, and thankfully gastric upset has resolved. I will eat again before 6pm, probably some fish and vegetables with butter. Then not eat after this until midday tomorrow, when I have a feast of roast goose planned.

Frustratingly, I once again had fasting BG of 6.3 first thing this morning, then an hour later 8.4. Think this needs extra work, though all other readings today have been low 6s.
Great results.

Reactions: Pipp

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Some morning data and a record of the week

So this morning woke up to the following
FBG 4.1
Ketones 6.0
Weight 205.2 pounds
Body Fat 27.3
Visceral Fat 12
BMI 27.8

Start to finish comparison
View attachment 26724

The only really odd result is the body fat percentage which either means I have lost a lot of muscle (which I doubt) or my scales are a bit rubbish at measuring which I fear is correct..
The trick now will be trying to maintain the 9 pounds weigh loss!
Well done I picked up 4 kgs just to see how this felt - substantial. What's your goal(s), as you are nearing 200 lbs.

Reactions: ianpspurs

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done I picked up 4 kgs just to see how this felt - substantial. What's your goal(s), as you are nearing 200 lbs.
I would love to get to 13 stone - 182 pounds to have a bit of up and down room.. under 200 would be nice. Will be trying to maintain this loss in the coming weeks (or as much as I can).

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
May Fast: 5 Days 17 hours approx (137 hrs)

FBG Range for the fast 3.6 - 4.5

Ketones Range during Fast 1.8 - 7.4

Start End

Weight 75.05kg - Dropped to 71.15 Kg (loss of 3.90 kg)

11st-11.5lbs Dropped to 11st. 2.9 lbs (loss of - 8.6 lbs)

Body Fat 17.9. (Dropped to 15.9). -2

Visceral Fat 8.5. (Dropped to 7.5). -1.0

BMI 23.2. Dropped to 22.0 -1.2

I really enjoyed this fast first day was a gift second day was interesting but didnt feel hungry apart from a couple of times. As the fast went on it was easier by the hour. The interesting thing for me was although I had no hunger pangs I couldnt stop thinking, or looking at recipes on the net. I was constantly thinking about food. Not wanting it, just planning how I would break the fast. I even went shopping to pick food I would eat at the end. It didnt effect the way I felt but the urge to plan didnt leave me- 'weird'.

However I was aware that I was maybe pushing myself too far in relation to body fat v BMI v loosing too much weight etc etc. It got to the stage were I decided to cut it short as my thoughts were I had gone far enough. Others were saying I was looking 'gaunt'.

My refeeding plan went out the window only because I had a barbecue to attend I was quite good. (only had a sirloin and couple of leak n pork sausages lol) . However I had halloumi cheese chips bacon salad olives and brazil/pecan nuts before goin out.!!!!

My fluid intake during the whole thing was actually Pepsi Max... I have commented on this before, again I would not recommend it, but it felt good and helped with the fast. The water to P/MAX was probably 5% water 95% P/MAX..... Who knows what that did to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: vanillapie

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
HI @rab5
Interesting set of results and mirror mine pretty much.
My FBG range a bit higher 5.8-4.0
Ketones 0.3-7.0
Weight loss very similar at 9 pounds
My body fat appeared to go up.. which I have to doubt but my readings for that number have always done very odd things.
Visceral fat down from 13-12
BMI from 29.1-27.8

I started feeling a bit "off" the last couple of days not quite sure what it was but an odd feeling of semi bloating in the stomach.
Was very happy to have some bacon this morning followed by a lunch of pork belly and butter fried cabbage with salami. The pork belly was the best ever, cooked sous vide for 22 hours then grilled to brown it up. Soft tender and juicy picture attached...
IMG_1631.jpg

Reactions: jasmindesylva

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Quite update after breaking the fast yesterday.. maybe overdid the celebrations a bit but not so many bad side effects

FBG 5.2 back to "normal" quite quickly but that's quite normal for me and I may have a couple of high days coming
Ketones 5.9 still high even after a treat of Oppo with cream and some Cavalier 85% choc last night.
Weight 207 pounds so a bit back on but I feel less dehydrated this morning so that may have been a problem on the fast.
Body fat down to 26.7 again I think this may be a hydration issue.. drink more water and less coffee when fasting? rest are as per..
Now will transition onto carnivore/bacon experiment way of eating to see what happens next.

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
I go with prof Noakes...... drink when thirsty. B

Reactions: ianpspurs

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I go with prof Noakes...... drink when thirsty. B
Looking back I guess I was kinda thirsty with a nasty taste in my mouth for most of the fast.. next time I really should "listen to my body" duh!

Last edited:

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
Looking back I guess I was kinda thirsty with a nasty taste in my mouth for most of the fast.. next time I really should "listen to my body" duh!

Nasty taste might’ve been in ketosis

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
View attachment 26744

Don’t like berg as our picture

I feel frozen looking at that's picture.

About 98% of my diving has been in a 2mm shortie wetsuit and the balance in a 3mm full suit. I have worn and did own a dry suit, but sold it a couple of years ago, when it was clear it needed to be replaced anyway.

Reactions: rab5

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No matter how amusing the post, if it breaks rules has to go, folks.
Please be mindful, and give us mods a bit of a break.