Uk night owl

tina_marie

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
patronising people an those who lie.
I'm having to book gp appointment AGAIN. I'm in excruciating pain when trying to walk. Tramadol isn't working, again. I need something else. Also I'm white as a sheet. Slept most of the day in bed with lergies from scarlet fever boy.
I think stomach problem is back too.
Bgs mostly in double figures... no matter how much insulin.
At dieticians this week. Hoping OK by then. Hoping to see gp Tuesday or Wednesday for a change in painkillers and for him to check stomach problem. He saw little one so I'll ask if all related.
I'm going to have to taxi it there and back. :(
We didn't go swimming due to lack of taxi fare. I just cannot walk right now. I feel like buying a wheelchair and wheeling myself.
I'm pretty sure Ron got his from Amazon , only because paperwork done by his OT got lost and Ron just got fed up of waiting . Only problem he has now is that he's no longer able to wheel himself due to pain in shoulder and arms .

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I'm pretty sure Ron got his from Amazon , only because paperwork done by his OT got lost and Ron just got fed up of waiting . Only problem he has now is that he's no longer able to wheel himself due to pain in shoulder and arms .
If it takes my weight I could buy it off you? Mind you physio would prefer I walked now painkillers have kicked in but they aren't ones in pain when out with kids for hours. He told me to pace myself so a chair could help me sit in a dry invironment instead of people's wet walls?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
If it takes my weight I could buy it off you? Mind you physio would prefer I walked now painkillers have kicked in but they aren't ones in pain when out with kids for hours. He told me to pace myself so a chair could help me sit in a dry invironment instead of people's wet walls?

There are ways to try-before-you-buy. Look into hiring a manual wheelchair from the Red Cross. It is a nominal fee.
Otherwise go to your Gateway To Care Office, register with them and and you get free chair/mobility scooter hire. Note. Because of cuts our local council suspended this free service so HelpTheAged took over, they charge a tiny fee for hiring scooters and chairs, you have to register with them, too, and if you would like to hire a scooter they insist on testing you first. The test is a doddle.

Edited to add. Most large supermarkets have chairs and scooters, some of them have to be booked ahead of time when busy (don't bother on a tuesday).
I am unable to get myself around a supermarket with a manual chair, it is just too painful. Your physio is right, stay on your feet as long as you can, it is really easy to get too used to a chair.

Last edited:

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
There are ways to try-before-you-buy. Look into hiring a manual wheelchair from the Red Cross. It is a nominal fee.
Otherwise go to your Gateway To Care Office, register with them and and you get free chair/mobility scooter hire. Note. Because of cuts our local council suspended this free service so HelpTheAged took over, they charge a tiny fee for hiring scooters and chairs, you have to register with them, too, and if you would like to hire a scooter they insist on testing you first. The test is a doddle.
I can hire daily in our shopping precinct, an automatic one but I need to still walk everyday to stay supple(ish).
I'm more stuck walking to parks with kids etc. Adventuring walks, off the road but then needing a dry seat which isn't on the floor or not good for posture.
What do you suggest? Your help is invaluable, to me. Thank you. :) :) :)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I honestly never knew diabetes could cause immobility. My physio was telling me how it effects every part of movement. Joints, muscles, ligaments, vessels, skin etc...
My back problem has really set me back. I watch video about how my S1 gets pinched causing scatica and muscle weaknesses. A none diabetic struggles but we have it harder. Humf. Trust me to have to struggle more. Getting older doesn't help either, I guess.
Your automatic wheelchair is it only purchasable by private funds or is there any help anywhere for a one for me to use in my neighbourhood? Or is that the one you suggested and by hire only?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I can hire daily in our shopping precinct, an automatic one bhttps://www.amazon.co.uk/Homecraft-Wheeled-Rollator-Walker-Brakes/dp/B002ECIM48/ref=sr_1_8_s_it?s=drugstore&ie=UTF8&qid=1527741826&sr=1-8&keywords=Walking+aidut I need to still walk everyday to stay supple(ish).
I'm more stuck walking to parks with kids etc. Adventuring walks, off the road but then needing a dry seat which isn't on the floor or not good for posture.
What do you suggest? Your help ihttps://www.amazon.co.uk/Homecraft-Wheeled-Rollator-Walker-Brakes/dp/B002ECIM48/ref=sr_1_8_s_it?s=drugstore&ie=UTF8&qid=1527741826&sr=1-8&keywords=Walking+aids invaluable, to me. Thank you. :) :) :)

Look into one of those gizmos (I think they are called a Diana chair). It is a small wheeled frame with a seat on it designed so that you can walk and rest when needed but you can't propel yourself in it. I will try to find a link for you.

Edited to add. Something like this but I have seen nicer ones and of course you would have to check sizes.
Sorry, I messed up putting the link in.

Last edited:

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Look into one of those gizmos (I think they are called a Diana chair). It is a small wheeled frame with a seat on it designed so that you can walk and rest when needed but you can't propel yourself in it. I will try to find a link for you.
I think @ally1 has just got one or similiar?

Reactions: ally1

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I honestly never knew diabetes could cause immobility. My physio was telling me how it effects every part of movement. Joints, muscles, ligaments, vessels, skin etc...
My back problem has really set me back. I watch video about how my S1 gets pinched causing scatica and muscle weaknesses. A none diabetic struggles but we have it harder. Humf. Trust me to have to struggle more. Getting older doesn't help either, I guess.
Your automatic wheelchair is it only purchasable by private funds or is there any help anywhere for a one for me to use in my neighbourhood? Or is that the one you suggested and by hire only?

You can get most of the standard stuff on the NHS by referral from your physio, occupational therapist or GP. The waiting times are horrible but anything from walking sticks to posh power chairs will be funded if deemed nnecessary.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies

Edited to add. Something like this but I have seen nicer ones and of course you would have to check sizes.
Sorry, I messed up putting the link in.
I've found this.
Is this what you mean?
https://www.rosscare.co.uk/lightweight-rollator-1468.html

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
You can get most of the standard stuff on the NHS by referral from your physio, occupational therapist or GP. The waiting times are horrible but anything from walking sticks to posh power chairs will be funded if deemed nnecessary.
I'll ask physio in July appointment. They are overworked in that department too. More patients than their monthly dairy can cover.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Yay!
How do i apply for free vat on amazon?
How do i apply for free vat on amazon?

Sorry lass, I can't help you with the VAT question. But I would stress again to check sizes.
Normally with VAT it is calculated before you pay so you could try going through the order without entering your payment just to see how it works. Good luck.

Reactions: ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Since taking painkillers I have blurry vision and very relaxed so I'm off to bed to try and finish my sleep.
Predictive texting is a god send when missing keys.

Reactions: Guzzler

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Btw. The Red Cross will deliver a manual chair to your home and pick it up when you are finished with it. I think I paid about £20 for six weeks but that was a few years back. Worth a phone call.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Aye, I was talking to Ally about one not so long ago.
Yes I have one, I call it a walker. Mine has a seat and once I got over the embarrassment, it's the best thing to have and made a big differrence

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Will be looking for something. I have bacterial infection from kids and I'm ill. Days like this I have no energy, not even for an electric wheelchair which still needs my reverse technique and precision, would help me cope. :(

Last edited:

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
My last post was a rambling of an unwell me.
An antibiotic course of tablets fill me 4 days later and I'm very well and just fighting thrush. Woken with it and a 3.6bg.
I will monitor it as my liver will be along in a mo with its liver dump. (3.20am in uk)

I don't suppose @Mike D is floating around for a chat?
I don't want to disturb @tina_marie and @eldergarth.

Yesterday a penny dropped.
Ive been asking my GP to increase pregabalin but he already had. And twice I've asked since physio mentioned it a few months back. Altho I distinction telling him I was on 150mg. He seemed to think I should have it increased. My regular gp is young and normally on the ball. So since asking him twice I was content to carry on as I was.... Still not pain free in walking thou but I'm guessing that's normal for me now. I find dihydrocodeine doesn't last long enough and I'm waiting for the 4hrs to pass to take the next dose.
Mind u lately I'm getting used to pain if not sitting or lying on a night, unless I want to take the maximum dose with paracetamol too. It was with ibuprofen too but older gp advised me to stop it when I td him I was using both paracetamol and ibuprofen with dihydrocodeine. I think my hba1c flagged up high. I'm not surprised as illness raised my bgs and sugar in ibs meds and sugar coated ibuprofen.
Neither wonder I've had to fight a sugar crave now and again.
My bgs are lowering with extra basal. God knows what my dns going to think of my doubled basal dose from Iron deficiency, infections and pain created higher bgs, hense high hba1c.
I have to work hard again to lose the weight and lower bgs for my up coming op and walking pain improvement. Mainly weight loss on low carb, low fat. Insulin to keep bgs low and no infections.
I'm well enough to do this again.
Swimming again on Wednesday..... hopefully.

Now I've treated thrush I'm airfilled empty stomach. I will find some cheese, for now. Then hoping to settle back to bed. Bedroom is a perfect temperature. 5yr old is in deep sleep. Hurray!