What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Its been like it for so long now, you'd think my liver would know after 46 years not to do it lol :facepalm::facepalm:
this has been happening to me for about 8 months now ive tried injecting b4 i get out of bed taking extra with breakfast but nothing works i rise between 2/4mmol as soon as my feet touch the floor no matter what my readings are :rolleyes:

flexi06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It’s very different for unmedicated type 2s. @Mbaker s ketones reflect his being in nutritional ketosiss, which is very different to DKA. My own ketones are 3.8 this morning after 6 consecutive days of OMAD. Just means we are in fat burning mode.

On phone on train so difficult to post links but can send some later if you’re interested,

I am @Goonergal, I’m wondering if the reason I feel so exhausted and awful is possibly because I’m neither one thing nor the other. I think I have to get a ketone meter and commit to lchf- I’m sort of mchf ( anything from 50 to 100g carbs) I know if I have carbs I will feel better- yesterday I had 110g carbs and felt alive again with a little bit of energy. So I can only assume it’s coz I’m only halfway doing it- what do you think? I have not seen anywhere anybody saying they feel awful in lchf ( aside from carb flu-which maybe I’m going in and out of all the time) thanks

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am @Goonergal, I’m wondering if the reason I feel so exhausted and awful is possibly because I’m neither one thing nor the other. I think I have to get a ketone meter and commit to lchf- I’m sort of mchf ( anything from 50 to 100g carbs) I know if I have carbs I will feel better- yesterday I had 110g carbs and felt alive again with a little bit of energy. So I can only assume it’s coz I’m only halfway doing it- what do you think? I have not seen anywhere anybody saying they feel awful in lchf ( aside from carb flu-which maybe I’m going in and out of all the time) thanks

Hi @flexi06

This is the link I had in mind this morning. https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/ketosis

A clear overview of Ketosis. Also tagging in @karen8967

I’m pretty evangelical about a very low carb/ketogenic diet: I’ll happily bore anyone that wants to listen (as well as those who don’t) so my opinion should be seen in that light. You may well be right about being stuck between LCHF and higher carb low fat. It did take me a while to get over Keto flu/adjust to this way of eating (at least a month), but once through that haven’t looked back. I really do have so much more energy and on top of blood glucose control and weight loss, my lifelong chronic migraines have also gone (I have what I suspect will be my last appointment with the migraine consultant on Monday. He is going to be astonished).It’s really important not to be scared of fat and to make sure you get enough to sustain you and provide energy.

How long have you been cutting carbs and how long do your energy rushes after eating carbs last? Do you crash back down? That could also be part of the problem.

If you’re flirting with the idea of Keto, I’d say give it a whirl. What’s the worst that can happen? If you’re not feeling that great now, odds are you’ll feel better, or at least no worse and it can only do good things for your blood glucose control. Would advise committing to it and giving it a good go.

A ketone meter isn’t necessary (mine is a recent investment), but if you want one, you can get the Caresens Dual free of charge from Spirit Healthcare - http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/caresens-dual-blood-glucose-and-ketone-meter/

It measures BG as well as ketones, but I only use it for ketones as my other meter has cheaper strips. The meter comes with 10 free BG strips and 2 free ketone strips. Buying new ketone strips works out at just under a £ a pop.

Feel free to PM me if you want more detail. Although I’m shattered due to very little sleep last night so it may be the morning before I’m very active on here again.

Edited to add link. Also editing to say I see from your profile you’re on sitagliptin, so you may need to tread carefully with sharp carb decreases. I’ve never taken diabetes medication and don’t know anything about sitagliptin. There should be others on here who do.

Last edited:

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @flexi06

This is the link I had in mind this morning. https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/ketosis

A clear overview of Ketosis. Also tagging in @karen8967

I’m pretty evangelical about a very low carb/ketogenic diet: I’ll happily bore anyone that wants to listen (as well as those who don’t) so my opinion should be seen in that light. You may well be right about being stuck between LCHF and higher carb low fat. It did take me a while to get over Keto flu/adjust to this way of eating (at least a month), but once through that haven’t looked back. I really do have so much more energy and on top of blood glucose control and weight loss, my lifelong chronic migraines have also gone (I have what I suspect will be my last appointment with the migraine consultant on Monday. He is going to be astonished).It’s really important not to be scared of fat and to make sure you get enough to sustain you and provide energy.

How long have you been cutting carbs and how long do your energy rushes after eating carbs last? Do you crash back down? That could also be part of the problem.

If you’re flirting with the idea of Keto, I’d say give it a whirl. What’s the worst that can happen? If you’re not feeling that great now, odds are you’ll feel better, or at least no worse and it can only do good things for your blood glucose control. Would advise committing to it and giving it a good go.

A ketone meter isn’t necessary (mine is a recent investment), but if you want one, you can get the Caresens Dual free of charge from Spirit Healthcare - http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/caresens-dual-blood-glucose-and-ketone-meter/

It measures BG as well as ketones, but I only use it for ketones as my other meter has cheaper strips. The meter comes with 10 free BG strips and 2 free ketone strips. Buying new ketone strips works out at just under a £ a pop.

Feel free to PM me if you want more detail. Although I’m shattered due to very little sleep last night so it may be the morning before I’m very active on here again.

Edited to add link.
Sorry to sound so clueless but is a keto diet to help with weight loss or a lifestyle change for better control

Reactions: flexi06

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry to sound so clueless but is a keto diet to help with weight loss or a lifestyle change for better control

For me it’s both. Blood glucose control was the priority - my HbA1c was 108 on diagnosis so there was an urgent need to address it. Since all carbs turn to sugar in the blood it made sense to me to go as low as possible in carbs (I’ve never taken diabetes medication so that wasn’t an issue). Blood sugars have normalised and a very welcome side effect has been significant weight loss, although the use of intermittent fasting alongside Keto has been key to that.

Now I’m adapted to,this way of eating it’s for life!

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For me it’s both. Blood glucose control was the priority - my HbA1c was 108 on diagnosis so there was an urgent need to address it. Since all carbs turn to sugar in the blood it made sense to me to go as low as possible in carbs (I’ve never taken diabetes medication so that wasn’t an issue). Blood sugars have normalised and a very welcome side effect has been significant weight loss, although the use of intermittent fasting alongside Keto has been key to that.

Now I’m adapted to,this way of eating it’s for life!
Ive just had a quick read of the link you sent and found it very intresting .its not for me as ive got good control of bgs and im having a hard time trying to put weight on i eat between 30/100g of carbs a day x your weight loss has been amazing as seen via your picture you posted as i type 1 i will stick to what i know but never say never who knows in the future

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Well a half bottle of whiskey and a very convivial chat with my next door neighbors will probably ensure a good nights sleep I have now idea what my BG is at and to be honest don't really care so good night all see you in the morning.:):):)

Stemar 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Apricots In A Tin, a story Follows reason!!!. Yogurt,
Hi Everyone,
I hope your all doing as well as you expect to be doing, whilst dealing with this beast of a condition, we're all burdened with!!!

My BGL's this morning at 07.55 hrs were 7.8 which is okay at the present as they are going in the right direction, so I don't feel the Low Carb Bread I was having has an adverse affect on my BGL's as I had to slices last night with Tea, my BGL's went down again so great!!!