What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all, some excellent numbers today from lots of members. I am totally confused by my readings lately and not wanting to post numbers. I am concerned that being close to my HbA1C all my control will be wasted :arghh:
My rational side says that I am now sleeping until up to 3 hours later which makes my fbg at the same time as I previously tested for where breakfast would be. The numbers for later fbg match those non breakfast numbers not normal fbg.
Am I deluding myself in thinking what is happening is everything is as normal bg wise because unless I can't get back to normal whatever try.? The 2 other possibilities are that I am more ill than I think but the intensity I can exercise at don't fit that. Resting pulse is also going back down so that's ok. The worst case is I have lost control but numbers aren't that bad.
Anyone else ever experienced a similar situation?

Last edited:
Reactions: Cumberland

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Morning all, some excellent numbers today from lots of members. I am totally confused by my readings lately and not wanting to post numbers. I am concerned that being close to my HbA1C all my control will be wasted :arghh:
My rational side says that I am now sleeping until up to 3 hours later which makes my fbg at the same time as I previously tested for where breakfast would be. The numbers for later fbg match those non breakfast numbers not normal fbg.
Am I deluding myself in thinking what is happening is everything is as normal bg wise because unless I can't get back to normal whatever try. The 2 other possibilities are that I am more ill than I think but the intensity I can exercise at don't fit that. Resting pulse is also going back down so that's ok. The worst case is I have lost control but numbers aren't that bad.
I am unsure as to the answer but am going through a period disruption myself at the moment also, but it does occur to me that diabetes as a condition has variability and will sometimes just fluctuate and this you can not totally control so maybe even though you are maintaining your control of variables within a certain range the natural variability of the condition can alter the perceived and actual out comes of your efforts so your best option could be to patiently try and wait out the recent fluctuations till things beyond your control normalize once more. And not stress too much. Zen and the art of diabetic control?

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
And not stress too much. Zen and the art of diabetic control?
Wise words @JohnEGreen and sentiments I would probably apply to the rest of the world. Just becomes a little too personal when the subject is me:banghead: I am going through the whole gamut of tried and tested tricks so we shall see. My biggest concern is the proximity to HbA1C and potential impact after learning so much from members here over the past few months :bigtears:

Reactions: flexi06

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Am I deluding myself in thinking what is happening is everything is as normal bg wise because unless I can't get back to normal whatever try.? The 2 other possibilities are that I am more ill than I think but the intensity I can exercise at don't fit that. Resting pulse is also going back down so that's ok. The worst case is I have lost control but numbers aren't that bad.
Your fbgs were always excellent, 4s and 5s. Unless they have shot up into high 7s or higher I wouldn't worry.
Mine were usually in the low 6s, averaging 6.3, but in the last few weeks they went up to the high 6s and low 7s for no obvious reason. I'm not worrying too much, they are still in range.

If they did start getting into high 7s or above I would return to the drastic fasting I did when I was first diagnosed.
I think my rise is due to my weight creeping up, going on round my waist. I'm trying to reduce weight again to less than 150 lbs, I had gone up to around 155 lbs.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Your fbgs were always excellent, 4s and 5s. Unless they have shot up into high 7s or higher I wouldn't worry.
Thanks @Prem51 I am just quite confused about what I may have done or not done to cause the drift upwards in bg levels. I have wanted to increase sleep hours and reach bmi of 22 for some time just not with a rise in average bg. I don't want to make matters worse by either exercising when I should rest or going OMAD/Fast when smaller more regular meals would work better.

Last edited:
Reactions: Keesha and flexi06

flexi06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning all. Been playing catch-up with all the posts after two very busy days.

Thanks for all your hugs and wishes concerning the flooding. Surprisingly, all the water and residual mess had already been cleaned up the next morning. Things can be efficient here in Germany -- but they usually aren't (in spite of the reputation).

@JohnEGreen -- It's good that your fbgs are normalizing again. Hope your other levels will be returning to lower levels soon too. It must be really frustrating to see the increase in your medication having this effect.

@flexi06 -- I live in a city named Wuppertal in Germany (its claim to fame is the suspension railway), but commute to Cologn, where I work. Recently, we had unusually hot and humid weather for end of May with temperatures of slightly more than 30 degrees, but also lots of torrential rains and thunder and lightening.

@flexi06 -- You will probably start feeling more energetic if you decide to drop your carbs a bit more. This will allow your body will switch to primarily burning fat. Upping your salt intake (plus maybe taking extra potassium and magnesium) will usually help with the carb flu. (Ketosis does lead to lower water retention and with the water, your body retains fewer of these minerals).

@Mal37 -- My heartfelt condolences for your loss. It is devastating to lose a parent.

Blood sugars were 5.1 on Thursday, 5.3 on Friday and 4.4 this morning.

Thank you @ziggy glad ur flood got cleared up quickly- thanks for that info I feel it’s inevitable to go lower carb but am not looking forward to the extra attention I will have to give it- maybe it won’t be as bad as the thought xx

Reactions: ziggy_w

mojo37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you @ziggy glad ur flood got cleared up quickly- thanks for that info I feel it’s inevitable to go lower carb but am not looking forward to the extra attention I will have to give it- maybe it won’t be as bad as the thought xx

Love ur Betty Boop :)

Reactions: flexi06

flexi06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wise words @JohnEGreen and sentiments I would probably apply to the rest of the world. Just becomes a little too personal when the subject is me:banghead: I am going through the whole gamut of tried and tested tricks so we shall see. My biggest concern is the proximity to HbA1C and potential impact after learning so much from members here over the past few months :bigtears:

@ianpspurs, you have helped myself and others a lot so I’m sad to say I’m not nearly experienced enough to help you with an answer, but I understand your plight. I like a bit of control and to be doing everything so right but still have confusing numbers is horrid for you. Do I understand correctly that your numbers would be about the same if you had got up earlier and not had brekkie? In that case , surely it’s fine. Your body processes have not adjusted to your later waking. If I’m wrong about it all I can say is try to ride it out and be patient. We are often harshest with ourselves, try to think how you would advise someone else with the same problem. Chin up sweetie x

Reactions: Keesha and ziggy_w