"The Truth About Carbs"?

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wonder if the show will live up to the title or not?

Apparently showing this week on BBC1, Wednesday 6th June, 8pm.

DexbL68W0AA3irN.jpg

Wish I could watch it - will probably take months to show up on Oz TV.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Oh I do hope it is based on science as opposed to dogma. I shall put this in my diary, thanks for the heads up.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m looking forward to it, but agree with @Guzzler I hope it’s science based.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I do so dislike the Fail.

Knowledge and research into the gut biome is in its infancy. Why not just eat real fibre instead of eating frozen reheated foodstuffs to get the resistant starch?
And I would love to know about these particular 'good' carbs that Dr. Xand speaks of. It is to be hoped that the Fail's journalist has made as good a job of reporting on the programme as he/she has on every other report in this rag.

Reactions: darenu and Ledzeptt

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And I would love to know about these particular 'good' carbs that Dr. Xand speaks of. .

It may mean good carbs outside the context of type 2 diabetes. It may also mean this current push from those avaocadoating a green diet and green protein. I suspect, though, it will be all about the fruit.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You know this bit about:

People often try to banish all carbs from their diets. As I know from personal experience, this can just make people miserable — and is therefore almost impossible to sustain.

I do think that if people knew what a vital thing this was, they would change their mindset about it. For example, my friend is lactose and cheese intolerant. She loves cheese. But recognizes that she cant have it without bad stuff happening. There are a illion other foods she can have. Taking her intolerance seriously improves her life, making the mindset to make that choice easy

If excess carbs were presented as the danger they truly are, the danger would be seen as sufficient to stop us eating them.

After all, the media dont use this argument bout smoking or alcohol to alcoholic, do they?

We train our small children to deal with not being able to have something, why is it seen as impossible for the majority of adults to do the same?

I think the bottom line is that the carbs problem is not given the seriousness it needs, due to pressure from the food lobby. The whole carbs thing is the same as the smoking thing in the 70's.

Last edited:

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can you not VPN into a computer in the UK?
Only method I have is Hide My Ass and I know from past experience that it doesn't work with Iplayer/BBC. If someone can suggest another method that doesn't cost a fortune, I'd be grateful.

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dr Xand is normally pretty good with the science (he often uses his twin brother as a guinea pig to demonstrate various concepts), and today's article on the BBC website looks very good indeed:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-44368601

It seems the question being asked here is whether carbs are bad for you, but why, which is a huge step forward in the debate.

The BBC are typically quite relaxed about their documentaries ending up on Youtube for free, and typically someone uploads them (either in 12 minute chunks or in their entirety) fairly quickly. I'll keep an eye out and post a link if I see anything.

Am quite excited about this.

Reactions: Guzzler

lindisfel

Expert
We might be disappointed,
they usually have to set up a two sided unequal debate.

However, as always, a pessimist wins! I shall either be right or really happy! :) ;) Derek

Last edited:
Reactions: Guzzler

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There are some interesting discussions on Facebook under the BBCs post about the programme. Have been putting my 2 cents worth in.

Am recording as I’ll be out when the programme starts. Will be interesting to see the approach they take.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-44368601

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I will have to make a note to watch it when its available in this part of the world