Regular moderate exercise log

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I’ve only managed just over 10,000 steps. Very feeble compared to many on here but I think it’s ok for me at the moment.
This included 2 forays to the village Co op which is only 1.5 mile round trip, but it’s at the bottom of a very steep hill. Coming back up the hill with heavy shopping is tough going.
It definitely helps if I walk about an hour after eating - I’ve noticed a very nicely reduced bg when I’ve done this so my aim is to continue.

@johnpol I have been doing the core exercises you posted too. Only 1 set of each so far, and I cant lift either leg during the plank pose. I’ll keep trying though, thanks.
well done on trying them, but I would just do the plank at the minute until you can do two or three sets of each. The plank is a hard one to do any way without lifting legs!!! Keep up the good work though, Brilliant that you are trying it though.

Reactions: DJC3 and ianpspurs

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Last nights training session was squats, I actually managed to get under the bar and do "proper" squats that involved weights!!!! 15 sets of 5 working up to a 20kg plate either side!! Still dealing with a large amount of pain in my shoulders when getting under the bar, but pain is only temporary as they say. Its actually the first time I have squatted properly in over 5 years !! Happy Bunny today.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
well done on trying them, but I would just do the plank at the minute until you can do two or three sets of each. The plank is a hard one to do any way without lifting legs!!! Keep up the good work though, Brilliant that you are trying it though.

Many thanks for the advice @johnpol I’ll aim to increase the number of sets for now then.
It’s great to be able to do something without having to brave the gym.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal I would say not lazy just being sensible with shin splint problems and excellent step count over the last week

Yes, and they are a bit sore today. I have an MRI scan booked for 13th June but follow up appointment is late August! Was September, so asked for it to be brought forward. Still a very long wait!

Reactions: flexi06

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, and they are a bit sore today. I have an MRI scan booked for 13th June but follow up appointment is late August! Was September, so asked for it to be brought forward. Still a very long wait!
Yes, the wait for follow up from my MRI is July 17 but I had the scan May 16th. With no advice on what exercise to do/avoid goodness knows what damage I could do in the meantime. I assume if you have had shin splints before you have some idea of precautions but the delay does seem excessive. Be careful is the best I can say.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, the wait for follow up from my MRI is July 17 but I had the scan May 16th. With no advice on what exercise to do/avoid goodness knows what damage I could do in the meantime. I assume if you have had shin splints before you have some idea of precautions but the delay does seem excessive. Be careful is the best I can say.

Agree! It’s so frustrating having to wait. I’m erring on the side of caution. Can’t imagine that ordinary walking can do too much damage, but going to hold off on walking football with its sudden twists and turns. Weights in the gym also fine as not doing anything that stresses the shins.

How is your back holding up?

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Agree! It’s so frustrating having to wait. ... Weights in the gym also fine as not doing anything that stresses the shins.
How is your back holding up?
My back is fine thanks. I never consider it a problem but as they couldn't find anything conclusive with lower legs they decided to look at the lower back. In some ways I hope they find something and can give me a solution.
Today has been swimming for inadequate old farts and basic 11K steps. Swimming was better. made more progress with some quality individual coaching which pushed me to do a little more.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
11k steps for me too which included my trip to the Co-op and slow trudge back uphill.
Am about to start the core exercises before bed.

Long drive back from Cornwall tomorrow so not much exercise then I should think, but at least I’ll be back on the exercise bike at home.

tsouza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys! Kudos to participants. I too will chirp in with my modest performance. It is only a month back that I decided to stick to daily walk+jogging. Have crossed 12,000 steps. Have tried to include climbing about 5-6 flights of stairs, outdoors and in my 7-floored apartment building. The net result has been visible. BG levels are more in control, and the general good-feeling, with less tiredness, is encouraging.

Last edited:
Reactions: johnpol and flexi06

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yippee! Back to usual self (which could be worrying) having concluded last week as a one-off bug ultra-nasty, but also body decreeing it needed a rest.

Re-adjusted work day targets walking for a bit, until mid-July or Mammoth Pre-Summer Work List Completed!

Also reminded self I am only, in fact, competing with self...

Reactions: kev-w

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Last nights training session was chest, Bench press felt terrible a truly pathetic 100kg 5x3 and felt sooo heavy, my fault for doing it after squats on Monday night as my shoulders still feel dead. But some things in the gym are never easy, and you have to push yourself sometimes (just my opinion :) ) finished off with decline press 110kg 5x5 then the arms with D/B curls 25kg 4x8 and done!! Home for a rest.

Reactions: Goonergal and kev-w

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
. But some things in the gym are never easy, and you have to push yourself sometimes (just my opinion :) ) finished off with decline press 110kg 5x5 then the arms with D/B curls 25kg 4x8 and done!! Home for a rest.
@johnpol well done for working through a tough session. There seems to be a theme running through the last 4 posts. Determination to keep positive and keep doing all you can to stay active and deal with diabetes on your own terms. Huge respect for you all @tsouza, @flexi06 and @Japes.

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@johnpol well done for working through a tough session. There seems to be a theme running through the last 4 posts. Determination to keep positive and keep doing all you can to stay active and deal with diabetes on your own terms. Huge respect for you all @tsouza, @flexi06 and @Japes.
Thank you but I have never known anything different to be honest, my feelings was always if training was easy then everyone would do it, you have to push on even on the days when nothing is going well. over the years I have dealt with some injuries, and if I'm honest, it's took some recovering from the stroke and after nearly three years I'm starting to feel like me, as far as training is concerned, but you just have to push on.

Reactions: kev-w and DJC3

flexi06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Ianp I’ve just been reading some stuff by dr Benjamin bikman and he mentions muscle building as a sink for bg, I don’t know what ur abilities are but I guess it could mean any body part like ( ahem) arms etc. Any possibility of small hand weights? It might help your current consternation:)

Reactions: ianpspurs

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ianp I’ve just been reading some stuff by dr Benjamin bikman and he mentions muscle building as a sink for bg, I don’t know what ur abilities are but I guess it could mean any body part like ( ahem) arms etc. Any possibility of small hand weights? It might help your current consternation:)
Hi @flexi06 I like Bilkman he advocates meat eating! I do have weights both free and a weight machine but at the moment I am waiting for MRI scan results before doing anything much/at all with them. I have some good core exercises which are back friendly given by @johnpol and some great advice for a swimming execise given by @kev-w .
Today I decided to walk more. Two 1 hr plus walks and general pootling about 21k steps.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
5.5K steps plus nearly 300miles ( driving back from Cornwall, not walking)

Did 20mins on exercise bike with 3 x 30sec intervals at top resistance

Off to bed in a mo and will do the core exercises first. Hopefully more than 1 set each tonight.