"The Truth About Carbs"?

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Program just finished... all I can say is:

Let the revolution begin!

And welcome to the flood of new folks who will get here by googling "low carb diet diabetes" :)

Concordjan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not very good on computers!
I felt this was a very good program and hope my doctor and DN were watching!

pdmjoker

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It was very good - showing T2D can be reversed by diet alone, and eating "green carbs" rather than "beige" or "white" carbs. He also said we now know eggs are not unhealthy! And someone following the low carb diet increased their healthy HDL! Also said Royal College of Surgeons is rolling-out low carb programme! :) Yea!

pdmjoker

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Surgeons? Royal College of some sort anyway!!!

mazza 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I hope they roll it out to. I'd like to be a fly on the wall when the trainers on the DESMOND course have to change their dietary advice. When I told them about this web site and I was low-carbing, they thought I was mad and in denial that I was diabetic, and said that it was a progressive disease and I should eat potatoes, rice, pasta etc but in moderation. I'm glad I found this website. Thanks to all of you.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I hope they roll it out to. I'd like to be a fly on the wall when the trainers on the DESMOND course have to change their dietary advice. When I told them about this web site and I was low-carbing, they thought I was mad and in denial that I was diabetic, and said that it was a progressive disease and I should eat potatoes, rice, pasta etc but in moderation. I'm glad I found this website. Thanks to all of you.
I wonder how many years it will take for them to admit that they were in denial about giving bad nutritional advice to T2s?

Reactions: ziggy_w

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I wonder how many years it will take for them to admit that they were in denial about giving bad nutritional advice to T2s?

They never will. Best case scenario for them is that the poor advice is slowly forgotten amidst the 'congratulations' received for coming up with the idea in the first place.

Reactions: Concordjan and zand

pdmjoker

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
They will probably never admit they were wrong, just "better and more recent research has shown..." to avoid law suits etc. Sweden got around mercury in fillings by banning it on "environmental concerns" if say people were cremated.
@Rachox Thank you - I thought surgeons wasn't right!

Reactions: Rachox

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Royal College of Physicians I think they said?
Royal College of GP's.. apparently Dr Unwin has written a guide to low carbing which should be received by every GP in the country. He announced it at the PHC conference (at the Royal College of GP's) but asked everyone to keep quiet about it until the official announcement.. something like 52,000 GP's should be receiving advice on LCHF!

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
Ok don’t bite me ( I’m full of carbs!)

I wasn’t impressed

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
He left that juicy bit right to the end, glad I stayed instead of dashing to the loo :)

I enjoyed the programme. I just hope some of my friends were watching. They may now understand why I low carb

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
I don’t know. Maybe freezing bread Good carbs v bad carbs. I can’t put my finger on it. I read a tweet by Dr Unwin after the end of the show. He said Nearly all breads digest down into a lot of glucose I worry most of my patients won’t remember your freezing trick.....

I wonder did he bulk at that bit.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I don’t know. Maybe freezing bread Good carbs v bad carbs. I can’t put my finger on it. I read a tweet by Dr Unwin after the end of the show. He said Nearly all breads digest down into a lot of glucose I worry most of my patients won’t remember your freezing trick.....

I wonder did he bulk at that bit.

Freezing then toasting bread isn't a new concept. The idea has been around a long time. I have been doing it a long time (with low carb bread though). It doesn't get rid of the glucose but it does help with fibre, gut bacteria, and calories if you are trying to lose weight.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The program was really good with very few questionable bits. The one thing that annoyed me was the quote that this doctor guy had just 'discovered/invented this low-carb stuff' as if all the feedback we have been providing for years never happened; pure professional doctor arrogance. 'We' invented it over the last few years and if they had listened and used a decent scientific approach the medical profession would have discovered low-carb years ago. You begin to wonder what else the doctors are getting badly wrong....

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The program was really good with very few questionable bits. The one thing that annoyed me was the quote that this doctor guy had just 'discovered/invented this low-carb stuff' as if all the feedback we have been providing for years never happened; pure professional doctor arrogance. 'We' invented it over the last few years and if they had listened and used a decent scientific approach the medical profession would have discovered low-carb years ago. You begin to wonder what else the doctors are getting badly wrong....

I thought it was invented a couple of centuries ago as the only treatment available for diabetics.

Reactions: KK123 and rab5

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok don’t bite me ( I’m full of carbs!)

I wasn’t impressed
The "shout at the TV-ometer" was quite quiet for most of it.. For a generalist prog about diet it was pretty good I thought.
Not perfect (IMO) but a lot better than most. Glad they used Dr Unwin's cubes (teaspoons) of sugar to demonstrate how carbs turn into glucose in the body. I bet that shocked a huge amount of people. Some simple changes making a big difference and the 2 weeks weight loss was quite astounding in all 7 of them. If it introduces a few million to the concept of Low Carb it will have done a far better job than the "Eatbadly Guide" ever has and in only an hour.

Reactions: Zilsniggy and rab5

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I also liked the sugar cube section. Those people were astounded, and clearly had no idea. Mind you, neither did I before I found this forum. Let's hope the message gets through.

Reactions: Zilsniggy and rab5

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I agree, it was a good all round basic introduction to better nutrition. I did not shout once. Now we need a programme entitled 'The Truth about Fats' with emphasis on bad fats.