Type 2: What Do You Think About A Real Food Newcastle Diet And Intermittent Fasting Diet?

AllieRainbow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been having a think about how to tackle visceral fat. I have been looking at the Newcastle Diet, and wondering whether I could do that. My main issue with it is not the calorie restriction, but the idea of shakes, which makes me want to hurl just thinking about them - I like real food!!

I started to also consider the accidental fasting that happened on the second week of my experiment with fasting to target BG in order to get lower BG results, and also lose weight.

Then I started to think about how I could combine the two...a real food Newcastle Diet with Intermittent Fasting.

I have a potential plan which involves:

Monday & Tuesday - fast
88 cals per day for drinks - 1 x beef oxo with 15ml double cream - total 88 cals/2.6 carbs
Plenty of water + some salt
Wednesday through Sunday - feed (1085 cals/day < 20 carbs)
1 x coffee with 20ml coconut cream - 52 cals/2.0 carbs
Plenty of water.
OMAD - LCHF - protein, healthy fats, nuts, veggies + twist of salt - 1033 cals

Total weekly calories: 5601
Newcastle Diet: 5600

Edited to reflect ND diet of 800 cals per day - 600 cals shakes and 200 cals non-starchy vegetables.

What do you think of this?

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
https://www.amazon.co.uk/8-Week-Blo...&sr=8-1&keywords=the+8+weeks+blood+sugar+diet

However I expect that if you continue what you are doing you will get good results, so why change?

I don't think 1085 cals a day is a good option as it may slow down your met rate, as it is not low enough to put your body into fasting mode. Counting cals does not seem to work unless people get down to 800. Hence I expect unlimited very low carb food on none fasting days is best.

If you want to make faster progress take up HITT and/or restanance training.

Last edited:

AllieRainbow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am just looking at possible courses of action, and this forum seems like a good place to get feedback.

At the moment I am continuing with what I am doing, but it is early days yet.
I tried a one meal a day bacon and eggs 800 cal for a week last year I think.. not at home so can’t check. Far better than nasty shakes.. still had enough cals for coffee with cream.
I’ll look it up when I’m back home on Saturday if you like and send you through the details of what my days looked like.

AllieRainbow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I tried a one meal a day bacon and eggs 800 cal for a week last year I think.. not at home so can’t check. Far better than nasty shakes.. still had enough cals for coffee with cream.
I’ll look it up when I’m back home on Saturday if you like and send you through the details of what my days looked like.

Thanks, that would be great.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
We don't get a holiday from Diabetes.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I have been having a think about how to tackle visceral fat. I have been looking at the Newcastle Diet, and wondering whether I could do that. My main issue with it is not the calorie restriction, but the idea of shakes, which makes me want to hurl just thinking about them - I like real food!!

I started to also consider the accidental fasting that happened on the second week of my experiment with fasting to target BG in order to get lower BG results, and also lose weight.

Then I started to think about how I could combine the two...a real food Newcastle Diet with Intermittent Fasting.

I have a potential plan which involves:

Monday & Tuesday - fast
88 cals per day for drinks - 1 x beef oxo with 15ml double cream - total 88 cals/2.6 carbs
Plenty of water + some salt
Wednesday through Sunday - feed (1085 cals/day < 20 carbs)
1 x coffee with 20ml coconut cream - 52 cals/2.0 carbs
Plenty of water.
OMAD - LCHF - protein, healthy fats, nuts, veggies + twist of salt - 1033 cals

Total weekly calories: 5601
Newcastle Diet: 5600

Edited to reflect ND diet of 800 cals per day - 600 cals shakes and 200 cals non-starchy vegetables.

What do you think of this?

It all looks great on paper but sometimes real life gets in the way. I am coming around to the idea that it is good to mix things up a bit but there may be a danger of overcomplicating things to the point that simply enjoying food turns into some sort of laboratory experiment.

AllieRainbow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
https://www.amazon.co.uk/8-Week-Blo...&sr=8-1&keywords=the+8+weeks+blood+sugar+diet

However I expect that if you continue what you are doing you will get good results, so why change?

I don't think 1085 cals a day is a good option as it may slow down your met rate, as it is not low enough to put your body into fasting mode. Counting cals does not seem to work unless people get down to 800. Hence I expect unlimited very low carb food on none fasting days is best.

Have you got a source for the fasting mode comment - that is very interesting and I wondered whether upping the calories on some days would negate the whole thing.

AllieRainbow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Last edited:

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
They are called 'fasting mimicking diets' in the research and always seem to be between 600 and 800 cals. Sorry I'm have not got the reference but I think it was in one of Dr Fung blog posts.

600 seems to be as low as the researchers can go without too much mussel lose, but most of that research was done on lean people.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Allie if you look at some of the threads on the Newcastle Diet, I'm sure a number of people have done the diet without using shakes.

But you'll probably need to go back to low carb when you've done your ND stint, so is it really worth changing?

Robbity

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Ringi - could you link some studies identifying 800 calls as an important calorie count please?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@AllieRainbow - our colleague @andcol had astonishing results on his journey, which he wrote up. There's a link to,his journey in his profile signature.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/got-my-first-3-month-hba1c-results-this-morning.55719/

He also created quite a comprehensive tracker for himself, which he offered up for others' use:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/writing-bg-management-app.56644/
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B-z_UPs-Jl8aMTNrd0pMemd6Q2c&usp=sharing

If you look at Andcol's profile, his signature also contains his continuing HbA1cs

There appear to be many ways to skin this particular cat, provided your body is in a good state to repair itself. Not everyone can manage it for a million reasons, but it's worth a go, provided you don't think things are guaranteed

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@bulkbiker - I have just read through the thread you mentioned - I like the sound of an egg fast as I love eggs (and bacon) but I would be concerned about missing out on fibre and other nutrients form vegetables. However if of a short duration, like your, it shouldn't have too much of an effect.
I’m not convinced by the whole fibre thing. There are quite a few people who do so well with almost no fibre on zero carb diets me included.

AllieRainbow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Allie if you look at some of the threads on the Newcastle Diet, I'm sure a number of people have done the diet without using shakes.

But you'll probably need to go back to low carb when you've done your ND stint, so is it really worth changing?

Robbity

Thanks @Robbity - this is why I have put this thread up - it is good to get a cross section of opinion so I can clarify what I think about this. I am also not convinced it would be a good step by that would depend on potential benefits. I will say that the LCHF diet is how I prefer to eat so I don't think I would have big problems going back to my current way of eating.

My concern at the moment is making sure I don't slip into increasing portion sizes, which has alway been a problem, so a period of tight control might be helpful for that to re-train my concept of a portion size to be a bit smaller.

AllieRainbow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m not convinced by the whole fibre thing. There are quite a few people who do so well with almost no fibre on zero carb diets me included.

@bulkbiker I think it is hard to know what to think about what we should do when so much has been shown to be based on bad science.