What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

Terrytiddy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all 4.1 for me this morning :) Had a shock last night, I had a couple of brandy's with ice checked my Bg and it was 2.7!!! :wideyed::nailbiting::eek: Had some chocolate to bring it back up! Not had a drink for weeks so just goes to show how it can affect you. Will be keeping off it now.:smug: Have a good day all :)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 definitely a thing but you may need to make your own - I was assuming you already knew about chocky coated coffee beans v garlic.

These are much too high but gives you the idea https://www.hotelchocolat.com/uk/chocolate-coffee-beans.html

No: education sadly lacking there. I’ve only heard of chewing parsley to neutralise garlic, but I hate parsley.

No Hotel Chocolat near me sadly but I do have HC buttons. Do you suppose the beans used are just regular roast coffee beans or are they roast in a particular way to make them more edible?

Reactions: ianpspurs

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No: education sadly lacking there. I’ve only heard of chewing parsley to neutralise garlic, but I hate parsley.

No Hotel Chocolat near me sadly but I do have HC buttons. Do you suppose the beans used are just regular roast coffee beans or are they roast in a particular way to make them more edible?
@DJC3 I always remember just sucking em rather than eating. First came across the idea from French lady - superb cook very heavy hand with the garlic

Reactions: DJC3 and geefull

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
4.4 today steady rain since the middle of the night here, the plants will be soaking it up with a bit of luck. ;)
Great numbers as usual @geefull, Rain eh, none here since at least last week in May and none forecast 18th and even then 18% chance of a thunderstorm so more harm than good - #harvestgate. That'll teach em to grow the wrong crops

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 I always remember just sucking em rather than eating. First came across the idea from French lady - superb cook very heavy hand with the garlic

I have crunched them when Ive had them before - after dinner in restaurants etc.
I’ve been out and bought a bag of medium roast beans and found that 5 HC buttons is sufficient to coat a decent sized scoop of beans, enough to last me several garlicky meals I think.

It remains to be seen if they’ll spike my bg - I discovered this morning that a cup of coffee does just that. I’ve suspected as much for some while but never managed to test in the absence of other influences before.

Life is never simple is it?

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It remains to be seen if they’ll spike my bg - I discovered this morning that a cup of coffee does just that. I’ve suspected as much for some while but never managed to test in the absence of other influences before. Life is never simple is it?
@DJC3 Interesting that coffee does that to you. I have read of people testing and finding results showing bg going both ways. It would be interesting to know what happens to others on here or in the daily menu thread. Oh, turns out I have a blue waistcoat already as part of the suit from my son's wedding last summer - didn't wear it at 40c in Skiathos:angelic:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I knew it! I just knew you’d have one!
Always used to wear one to work. Story goes, the roughest school I ever came across the kids said we respect Mr Reynolds (who wore suit with waistcoat) cos he respects us by dressing smartly. I never forgot that!

Edit: Turns out I left said waistcoat in Skiathos - Mama Mia

Last edited:
Reactions: DJC3

Ziggy2017

Type of diabetes
Type 3
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes and injections
Morning all 4.1 for me this morning :) Had a shock last night, I had a couple of brandy's with ice checked my Bg and it was 2.7!!! :wideyed::nailbiting::eek: Had some chocolate to bring it back up! Not had a drink for weeks so just goes to show how it can affect you. Will be keeping off it now.:smug: Have a good day all :)
@Terrytiddy hi terry just wondering is chocolate a good hypo treatment for you it never works for me

Reactions: Terrytiddy

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Always used to wear one to work. Story goes, the roughest school I ever came across the kids said we respect Mr Reynolds (who wore suit with waistcoat) cos he respects us by dressing smartly. I never forgot that!

Edit: Turns out I left said waistcoat in Skiathos - Mama Mia

Oh shame about the forgotten waistcoat - did you really take it on hols?
Nice story about respect: my husband taught for many years at a remand centre. He didn’t wear a waistcoat as it wouldn’t have been practical - he ended up in a tussle on the floor on many occasions. He did always try to look smart though, and never tried to be ‘down with the kids’ they’d have seen right through him in a second.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh shame about the forgotten waistcoat - did you really take it on hols?
Yes, I was under orders to take the full kit not to "spoil the girl's big day!" In the end everyone agreed it was too hot for a waistcoat and come packing time I was wearing too much tequila to care about a waistcoat.:angelic:

Last edited:
Reactions: DJC3