Teresa May

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
just checked the news on Apple feed and noticed the pm wearing a gown that shows her monitor (Libre?). Good to see prominent people being open. Maybe it’s old news but I didn’t realise she was diabetic . Can’t work out how to add the pic.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
C0B7733D-C8AC-4AD9-BA42-9D5673911B10.jpeg
Here it is!

Ian_Laye

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have the enormous luck to be T1, wear a Libre and a vicar’s daughter. I may have run through an occasional wheat field in my misspent youth, having grown up in rural Somerset. That’s where the similarities end.
Why would you say you have the enormous luck to be T1. Surly being diagnosed with T1 or T2 is life changing in a detrimental way.

Reactions: Anne999 and nytowl

Hoping4Cure

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
You'd be surprised at the amount of self-delusion there is out there that this condition is in any way beneficial. Yay you get to learn the hard way that eating carbs isn't good for you! Wonderful.

I've read such nonsense in several "feel good about your type 1 diabetes" articles and blogs and I find it infuriating and practically criminal.

Reading those articles makes me want to punch a hole through my computer monitor. This disease ruined my childhood and made my adulthood a living nightmare too. Thanks a lot, I feel so privileged. (I must be, of course, since I'm a white male).

Theresa May being the head of a party which actively wants to defund or underfund the NHS should make any sick person, or indeed any moral person, enraged at the sheer hypocrisy. She has a Freestyle Libre, great! What about all the other type 1s who aren't rich and can't afford it. Meanwhile she's making it harder for other type 1s to get it. To say that I hate her is an understatement. I loathe such craven and wanton hypocrites.

I can't get mine here in Canada despite having a script for it, since I work for myself and no insurance company will give me a group plan that covers it, and the basic drug plan doesn't think it's necessary. So I'm left with all the holes in my fingertips and lack of touch sensitivity and nasty surprises if I make a mistake or dare exercise a long time.

Last edited:

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Why would you say you have the enormous luck to be T1. Surly being diagnosed with T1 or T2 is life changing in a detrimental way.
Apologies for derailing the thread. I feel enormously fortunate to be diagnosed T1.
Alcohol, diet, lifestyle and complacency would have caused me far more health issues by now than diabetes has.
T1 has given me focus and a reason to take control of this one life we are given.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Apologies for derailing the thread. I feel enormously fortunate to be diagnosed T1.
Alcohol, diet, lifestyle and complacency would have caused me far more health issues by now than diabetes has.
T1 has given me focus and a reason to take control of this one life we are given.

I thought Mel dCP said that ? :confused:

Reactions: kev-w and therower

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You'd have thought she could afford to put a Blu-con nightrider on that sensor :p but I guess there's nowhere to keep her phone in the frock....

I don't feel fortunate but am aware of the health benefits from the moderate carb intake, healthy diet and exercise I've had for the last 35 years, when I see my mates and acquaintances these days I'm in a lot better shape on the outside at least :)

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can't get mine here in Canada despite having a script for it, since I work for myself and no insurance company will give me a group plan that covers it, and the basic drug plan doesn't think it's necessary. So I'm left with all the holes in my fingertips and lack of touch sensitivity and nasty surprises if I make a mistake or dare exercise a long time.

I had thought health care in Canada was free, but then I found out here, that you can see the doctor for free, but have to pay for medicines. Which makes Type 1 Diabetes probably one of the worst illnesses to have under a system like that.

Is no progress being made, politically, on this? it seems incredibly unfair.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Sarcasm?

T1 can do one. I hate it, it’s ruined my life.

I also hate being a vicar’s daughter due to the constant bullying I endured every single day of my childhood because if it. My first day at a new primary school? Got pelted with slugs by the other children.

I really, REALLY hate having to wear a device on my arm too, but appreciate it helps me manage the wretched T1.

Hope that clarifies.

Last edited:

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have the enormous luck to be T1, wear a Libre and a vicar’s daughter. I may have run through an occasional wheat field in my misspent youth, having grown up in rural Somerset. That’s where the similarities end.
Hope Master Mel puts the bins out though...

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had thought health care in Canada was free, but then I found out here, that you can see the doctor for free, but have to pay for medicines. Which makes Type 1 Diabetes probably one of the worst illnesses to have under a system like that.

Is no progress being made, politically, on this? it seems incredibly unfair.
If we have type one we do not pay for any of our treatment apart from the lottery that is cgm that is! I also have a bus pass because I am partially sighted (diabetes related).
Life is unfaiir and it is pointless to pretend that we can equalise outcomes for everybody.
I think some diabetes consultant once said of type one that it is the condition that 'demands most of the patient' and regardless of what I think of Mrs May politically I do admire those of us who do what we do in spite of diabetic challenges.