Police Cells And No Insulin.

dmcx3x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok I was arrested on Saturday for nothing what so ever. I basically asked a police his name and badge number because I was going to complain and he put me in the police van and took me to the station.

When I got to the station I explained I was on a night out and I have diabetes my insulin is in my bag. I didn’t take my insulin when I was out Incase of a sudden drop and hypo when I am out. I would have eating and done this when I was home.

It was around 3.30am when I got there and they told me they will get a nurse. I waited and started to feel the thirst come. I drank 6 cups of water in an hour I explained I need my insulin again. But no I had to wait till the nurse came they told me he wouldn’t be long. I pressed the buzzer again after being sick knowing I was starting to get ketons in my blood I needed more water they gave me one cup at a time I kept pressing it asking how long this nurse would be. My back became sore my vision was blurry. So scared I kept pressing this buzzer for water and explaining I need insulin now I have ketons I’m being sick can you not just phone me an ambulance ? They asked me do I need sugar??? That was the final straw I said please go and good hyperglycemia or ketons they told me no they turned my buzzer off so I couldn’t press it for help or water. This resulted in me drinking from the tap that says not drinking water. I was terrified. They told me they have CCTV on me if anything happens they will come in. I told them when I go into a coma that’s when I am going to get my insulin ?? Being sick even more every sip of water I took I asked for my insulin or an ambulance again they turned the buzzer off!! At 10am I finally got insulin with my blood sugar being 31 !!

Can I make a complaint regarding this?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
H @dmcx3x It doesn't matter how you ended up there, you need to make a complaint, that's shocking treatment, what if you fell unconscious but on their cctv it looked like you were asleep, would they of called an ambulance then or checked you at this time of the night.

You need to make a complaint to make an example of this, and thank goodness you are ok.

cassie091

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Clearly you have grounds for a complaint about the unacceptable treatment you received at the police station and you should proceed with that. However I do not understand why you delayed taking your insulin. Every T1D should carry some form of glucose on them to counteract a hypo. I carry glucotabs and glucogel.
Do you get a warning that you are becoming hypoglyceamic? I get a tingling feeling in my lips and now my left leg and sometimes my fingers. I also cannot recall the right word. If I am walking I might stumble or not walk in a straight line. Such warnings must not be ignored. Glucose tablets gradually restore your glucose levels.
For your blood glucose to rise so high you must have consumed something or else you had been without insulin for some considerable time. As T1Ds we are ultimately responsible for ourselves and have to anticipate any potential problems. You simply cannot delay taking insulin. The rapid acting insulins only act for a limited time. Once that time has run out your blood glucose levels will rise and rise rapidly. Maybe you need to speak to your GP or diabetes nurse in order to be able to gain better control of your condition.

Sophia78

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
H @dmcx3x It doesn't matter how you ended up there...

^^^This!! You owe no explanation as to why or if you should have been there. Those on duty owe you a duty of care. Breaking the law as a type 1 (not saying you did, just making a point) is not justification for witholding life preserving medication.
Echoing what others have said, PLEASE do formally complain and if you can then do try to get legal representation for doing so. Maybe you could contact DiabetesUK for help/advice?

Sophia78

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Clearly you have grounds for a complaint about the unacceptable treatment you received at the police station and you should proceed with that. However I do not understand why you delayed taking your insulin. Every T1D should carry some form of glucose on them to counteract a hypo. I carry glucotabs and glucogel.
Do you get a warning that you are becoming hypoglyceamic? I get a tingling feeling in my lips and now my left leg and sometimes my fingers. I also cannot recall the right word. If I am walking I might stumble or not walk in a straight line. Such warnings must not be ignored. Glucose tablets gradually restore your glucose levels.
For your blood glucose to rise so high you must have consumed something or else you had been without insulin for some considerable time. As T1Ds we are ultimately responsible for ourselves and have to anticipate any potential problems. You simply cannot delay taking insulin. The rapid acting insulins only act for a limited time. Once that time has run out your blood glucose levels will rise and rise rapidly. Maybe you need to speak to your GP or diabetes nurse in order to be able to gain better control of your condition.

That may be true although the reasons people who are type 1 do what they do vary. Maybe she is not hypo aware I just don't know, however at this point that conversation just distracts from the point that the police owed her a duty of care, they witheld insulin and then water from her and refused her medical attention for an amount of time despite being informed of her circumstances. This is simply NOT acceptable!
A conversation about how to manage her diabetes on a night out would most likely be helpful at some point but right now does not feel like the time to go into that.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have come across several instance over the years where the police are totally beyond any behaviour which could be considered appropriate for a democracy. Please report your treatment with as much detail as you can give - perhaps ask why the tap was labelled as not drinking water and ask what consequences might arise from you drinking it in an emergency situation.
Perhaps you could contact your local newspaper to see if they are interested in publicizing your treatment.

dmcx3x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi, I am hypo aware. I have a thing if I drink alcohol I go out on my way home eat a McDonald’s or take away and then do my insulin. It’s just a piece of mind for me as if I do my insulin go out alcohol always drops my blood sugar so I with hold it not my Levimer just my novorapid. But before they took me I had eat chips and cheese and had no insulin after.

dmcx3x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks everyone I am going to write out an email very soon. I also found this while searching online
IMG_2838.jpg
IMG_2837.jpg

I was showing three of these signs and nothing was done.

enzina

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pain, being dependent, egoistic people & jealousy
Absolutely shocking, i'm so glad you didn't end up even far worse!

Sadly i witnessed similar treatment on a psychiatric ward. One of my dearest friends is LADA, had a schizophrenic episode and the nurses at Lewisham hospital just refused to give her Novorap. She was constantly in high figures, it took several days for us (her friends) to convince the staff she needs the insulin, Lantus on it's own was'nt enough. I guess the nurses wanted to avoid that she has a hypo.

Both cases just shambolic.

Reactions: dmcx3x

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Does a police officer have to give you their name and ID if asked?

"Yes. If you were to ask me for my name and the station that I work. I can also give you an individual collar number

From a UK website

dmcx3x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does a police officer have to give you their name and ID if asked?

"Yes. If you were to ask me for my name and the station that I work. I can also give you an individual collar number

From a UK website

Yes I thought so I have been to see a lawyer today. The way he treated me is shocking. I have bruises all over my body my hand is totally numb. He took me away from the cameras and pinned me up against the van full force because he was being cheeky to me and I asked him his details. He has a reputation for it.

Reactions: kitedoc

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Well, laws in Australia demand it

Why were you pulled over? Breath test? What?

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am shocked that this can happen. I am horrified to think that this could happen to any of my T1 friends or family or even myself.

Reactions: ickihun and dmcx3x

dmcx3x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Why were you pulled over? Breath test? What?

I was out with my bf then a random girl tried to attack me when the police came he was so arrogant and was not listing to what I was saying he asked my name that I gave and I said infact can I have your name or badge number he told me no I said I am complaint about you. Next thing I am on a police van. I have never been in any kind of trouble in my whole life!

D

Deleted member 308541

I have always found that it pays not to answer a question with a question, such as "what is your name", with "what's yours".

"Move along, nothing to see here."
"OK".

dmcx3x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have always found that it pays not to answer a question with a question, such as "what is your name", with "what's yours".

"Move along, nothing to see here."
"OK".

Yes but I answered his question with my name not that I refused asking it is not breaking the law lol !

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes

I wasn't explicit enough. If you comply with their requests (ID, drivers licence), then you're entitled to ask them ... half the time cops openly volunteer that anyway, hence the mandatory name badges.

Seems @dmcx3x request was more than reasonable.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
An official complaint about your lack of insulin should be taken seriously and investigated, I'd probably write to your MP and your PCC (police & crime commissioner) as well, bruises I'd guess would be harder to complain about as the copper will say he used 'reasonable force' in arresting you, and if he suspected you were causing a 'breach of the peace' he's entitled to arrest you.

Good luck with your complaint, stick it out as whoever was responsible for preventing you from taking your insulin needs sacking.