What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all
Late posting again as we’ve had a busy and exhausting day helpjngbyoungest daughter move out, and into her new flat. The house seems very empty now and I’m sort of regretting nagging her about all her clutter everywhere. I miss it now!!
Brunch: scrambled egg, smoked salmon, avocado

MAS: 1 rasher of bacon ( made everyone bacon butties and had a soare rasher)

D: 1/2 avocado with prawns and mayo. Small portion of cheese with a glass of red wine.

@jayney27 Happy Anniversary hope you had a lovely evening.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Does it intensify the broth if you leave it on Keep warm overnight? I was going to switch it off out of habit really.
I did wonder about the fattiness of lamb broth but couldnt bear to chuck all the bones out - like you said - its all experimentation at this time.

To be honest, as I start it a while after we have dinner, it’s easier to just let it run (on Keep Warm) than switch off and contemplate chilling hot stick or washing up. Easier to do that in the morning.

If the broth is fattier than you like, you can either skim it or chill them remove as much of the solidified fat as you want to.

I try to keep it simple and lazy.

Reactions: Geoffno6 and DJC3

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 I wondered about upping the tea level - made Mrs P add 240 Assam teabags to this week's order:angelic: Bone broth will be amazing even I could see IP was good for that and I am an IP sceptic. @shelley262 best wishes for the Cholesterol test. Just read an article in the Guardian that, allowing for the bias of the clownshoe writing it and taken together with Aseem Malhotra's crusade and the article on the demise of traditional recipes/home cooking makes sense to me.
Looking at the menus and culinary skills this thread shows we/you are definitely outliers. I am amazed how each of my sons has to do most or all of the cooking as their partners have nowhere near the skills or knowledge, @jayney27 happy anniversay for yesterday. All this talk of carverys has made me jealous. about here the good one we used for 30 years has gone to wrack and ruin.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/aug/15/age-of-obesity-shaming-overweight-people

Last edited:
Reactions: DJC3

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I try and fish the bones out before the broth goes solid. But am happy to leave it overnight before doing this. Then I pour it into containers and leave to go completely cold.

The fat always gets lifted off before I use it (can't stand a greasy moustache while drinking broth!) but I do like to leave the solid layer of fat on top of the broth while it sits in the fridge before use. Acts as a nice airtight seal and preservative, like the layer of fat they always leave on top of potted meat.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I try and fish the bones out before the broth goes solid. But am happy to leave it overnight before doing this. Then I pour it into containers and leave to go completely cold.

The fat always gets lifted off before I use it (can't stand a greasy moustache while drinking broth!) but I do like to leave the solid layer of fat on top of the broth while it sits in the fridge before use. Acts as a nice airtight seal and preservative, like the layer of fat they always leave on top of potted meat.

And of course, if the broth has gelled, it just lifts off, leaving the gel behind. :)

M

Moggely

B. 3 slices of bacon and 2 eggs with matcha green tea.L.Slice of quiche homemade with homemade coleslaw. D. Left over rissoles and an assortment of green vege. Plenty of fluids. Green tea,soda water with lemon ext.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No. I'm in Canada. I'm five hours behind you, so I've only had breakfast today so far. I also find I'm always full and just can't eat three meals a day.
I wondered if your daily menu was like a slow reveal picture. If you can thrive on 2 meals a day this lifestyle should be very comfortable for you.

Kingmidas

Off to Cyprus for a week on Friday - not overly worried about how I will low carb whilst there! Lots of meats, cheeses, salads, thick full fat Greek yoghurt and nuts will be really enjoyable! Shame I won't be indulging in lovely Cyprus potatoes, but I can cope with that. I don't drink much either these days so no problems there. I will be having a treat a day though whereas I usually have a treat day per week (Fat Friday as I call it )

I'll post any pics of any real triumphs I discover!

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Can of tuna with light mayo, diced green onions and cucumbers, and crumbled feta cheese. Yum!
I love feta cheese now, couldn't eat it before diagnoses, I think as our taste buds adjust to less sweet things we enjoy sharper flavours.

CoastGirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok, after over 2 years on this forum I think it is time for me to join this thread! I have no idea how you all eat so little during the day so thought I should put a few menus up and see what you think. Not sure I'll have the time to add each day so will see how it goes.

Today's menu is:
Breakfast - 2 coffees with slurp of double cream
Mid Morning - 2 Babybel
Lunch - mixed salad leaves, 3 baby toms, cucumber, half advocado, 5 olives and half an orange pepper with a tin of red salmon mixed with mayo
Snack - 1 handful of peanuts and 1 of almonds
Supper will be 2 large lamb loin chops, brocolli, wilted Swiss chard with crumbled feta and maybe a scoop or two of oppo or a couple of squares of green and blacks 85% chocolate.
Also a few cups of black tea and a couple of glasses of water.

I keep seeing inulin mentioned on here. Can anyone tell me what it is and what you use it for?

@ianpspurs, I really like the sound of your H/M treats, high fibre bars and, I think, you mentioned a flapjacks thing, do you have recipes you'd be willing to share?

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Off to Cyprus for a week on Friday - not overly worried about how I will low carb whilst there! Lots of meats, cheeses, salads, thick full fat Greek yoghurt and nuts will be really enjoyable! Shame I won't be indulging in lovely Cyprus potatoes, but I can cope with that. I don't drink much either these days so no problems there. I will be having a treat a day though whereas I usually have a treat day per week (Fat Friday as I call it )

I'll post any pics of any real triumphs I discover!
I was in Crete in May, this way of eating is very easy in Greece, as you say Greek yogurt, feta cheese, halloumi, omelettes for breakfast, bacon and eggs, mushrooms, stuffed peppers, salads and meats. I even indulged in some desserts, they were very small portions though. The hotel was also a spa resort so the food choices were very balanced and portion controlled. Would lovel to be there now enjoying the peace, quiet and wonderful food and Greek hospitality.

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I tried my first ever 24hr fast today and ate 1 meal at tea-time. I hadn't planned a fast, but I missed breakfast and then was busy through lunch, and I started to think 'what if I just wait till the 24hr mark?' Anyway, at the 25hr mark or thereabouts,I had two sage seasoned pork chops and some scallops fried with Chinese cabbage. Nice meal, and at no point in the day did I feel abnormally hungry. An interesting experiment: I think I need to try it again.

neithskye

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I love feta cheese now, couldn't eat it before diagnoses, I think as our taste buds adjust to less sweet things we enjoy sharper flavours.

I was only diagnosed last month, but a few years ago I noticed my taste buds and what I can stomach changed dramatically. I can't eat sweets anymore, and I can't stomach salt - even pasta sauce in jars is becoming too salty for me.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok, after over 2 years on this forum I think it is time for me to join this thread! I have no idea how you all eat so little during the day so thought I should put a few menus up and see what you think. Not sure I'll have the time to add each day so will see how it goes.

Today's menu is:
Breakfast - 2 coffees with slurp of double cream
Mid Morning - 2 Babybel
Lunch - mixed salad leaves, 3 baby toms, cucumber, half advocado, 5 olives and half an orange pepper with a tin of red salmon mixed with mayo
Snack - 1 handful of peanuts and 1 of almonds
Supper will be 2 large lamb loin chops, brocolli, wilted Swiss chard with crumbled feta and maybe a scoop or two of oppo or a couple of squares of green and blacks 85% chocolate.
Also a few cups of black tea and a couple of glasses of water.

I keep seeing inulin mentioned on here. Can anyone tell me what it is and what you use it for?

@ianpspurs, I really like the sound of your H/M treats, high fibre bars and, I think, you mentioned a flapjacks thing, do you have recipes you'd be willing to share?
Welcome to this wonderful little area of the forum. If you stick around you will see that I eat slightly more than some of the regular posters here, I haven't embraced fasting, occasionally I skip breakfast if I am busy, sometimes I don't feel hungry so give it a miss then too. I generally eat 3 meals a day, I also have snacks most days and I've lost almost 5 stone since January and achieved normal blood sugars so haven't up until now needed to fast, that may come, who knows. I enjoy what I eat and have found acceptable alternatives for things I no longer include in my diet, I am still discovering new foods and have no intentions of giving up on this way of eating, it suits me for lots of other reasons.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was only diagnosed last month, but a few years ago I noticed my taste buds and what I can stomach changed dramatically. I can't eat sweets anymore, and I can't stomach salt - even pasta sauce in jars is becoming too salty for me.
Hopefully by following this thread you will find inspiration regarding different things to eat and enjoy, good luck and welcome.

neithskye

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have no idea how you all eat so little during the day.

I was only diagnosed in early July and have only revamped my diet recently, but I'm finding with the foods I eat now, plus the increased fibre, I'm genuinely not hungry. I know it's not good to go a long time without eating but sometimes I just can't eat for 12 or so hours because I just feel full.

CoastGirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome to this wonderful little area of the forum. If you stick around you will see that I eat slightly more than some of the regular posters here, I haven't embraced fasting, occasionally I skip breakfast if I am busy, sometimes I don't feel hungry so give it a miss then too. I generally eat 3 meals a day, I also have snacks most days and I've lost almost 5 stone since January and achieved normal blood sugars so haven't up until now needed to fast, that may come, who knows. I enjoy what I eat and have found acceptable alternatives for things I no longer include in my diet, I am still discovering new foods and have no intentions of giving up on this way of eating, it suits me for lots of other reasons.
Thanks for your welcome @jayney27. I definitely feel better having eaten this way for over 2 years but I do occasionally have slips. We were on holiday in Cornwall recently and I succumbed to a couple of cream teas! Don't need to lose anymore weight and, in fact, sometimes struggle to maintain at around 59-60kg. Anyway, love reading other people's meal ideas as sometimes I definitely get stuck in a rut!

Reactions: DJC3 and ianpspurs