What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all. 5.4 today which in and of itself is very meh. However, after a bowl of strawberries and yogurt just before bed (after 45 mins exercise bike) and being awake for ages at 2.00 am seems a little better.
@Goonergal have a good family weekend; @DJC3 brilliant fbg; @OrsonKartt can you not have online access to medical records - makes a huge difference to conversations with the gatekeepers? Brave of you to share the data and interesting range of opinions re cholesterol. I am in the camp that says total above 4 is too high for me and I can't see the statin worry personally. It is definitely good to have a range of opinion.

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
Morning all. 5.4 today which in and of itself is very meh. However, after a bowl of strawberries and yogurt just before bed (after 45 mins exercise bike) and being awake for ages at 2.00 am seems a little better.
@Goonergal have a good family weekend; @DJC3 brilliant fbg; @OrsonKartt can you not have online access to medical records - makes a huge difference to conversations with the gatekeepers? Brave of you to share the data and interesting range of opinions re cholesterol. I am in the camp that says total above 4 is too high for me and I can't see the statin worry personally. It is definitely good to have a range of opinion.
Hi Ian

From what I read about cholesterol is that it is a marker , ie an indication that there is something askew in the body.... the idea about lowering the marker rather than dealing with the actual issue is to my mind maybe not such a smart move. There is much information on this Heres a blog I follow by Dr Malcolm Kendrick. Well worth subscribing to if you are interested . You may want to go back and look at earlier pieces to make sense of it but this as this is number 52 in the series which I'm sure will be a book quite soon.

What causes heart disease part 52
by Dr. Malcolm Kendrick

16th August 2018
t.

The problem that I always had with the LDL/cholesterol hypothesis was that it relied on a mechanism of action that sounded reasonable – if you didn’t think about it in any great depth. However, once you started looking at it closely, it become more and more unlikely. Namely, the idea that it is possible for low density lipoprotein to simply “leak” into artery walls, triggering the development of atherosclerotic plaques.

Reactions: Cumberland and DJC3

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Ian
From what I read about cholesterol is that it is a marker , ie an indication that there is something askew in the body.... the idea about lowering the marker rather than dealing with the actual issue is to my mind maybe not such a smart move. There is much information on this Heres a blog I follow by Dr Malcolm Kendrick. Well worth subscribing to if you are interested . .
Thanks @OrsonKartt. I agree it is a marker of underlying issues in a similar way to high bg levels. I am happy to alter my environment as regards diet and exercise in order to see that marker where I want it to be - which is basically what I have done over the past 3 years. As far as the "just a number" idea is concerned, my own take is that wishing it were so does not make it so.
Best wishes

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Thank you. I’m chuffed to bits - can’t figure it out but I’m not going to worry about the whys or wherefores. It’ll probably be in the 6s tomorrow and I wont understand that either!
5.4 is a good number - edpecially as you’re off metformin now. Being a data king have you noticed a setting of your fbgs since you came off a month or 2 back.
I’m still too wussy to come off even though my GP says I can.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. I’m chuffed to bits - can’t figure it out but I’m not going to worry about the whys or wherefores. It’ll probably be in the 6s tomorrow and I wont understand that either!
5.4 is a good number - edpecially as you’re off metformin now. Being a data king have you noticed a setting of your fbgs since you came off a month or 2 back.
I’m still too wussy to come off even though my GP says I can.
Don't think there is any noticeable settling just yet due to all the changes I am making. Looking back to March/April, before I was sidetracked, numbers were much better. 2 years ago today fbg was 6.2 day average was 5.7 and December a1c was 5.6 but I have very little confidence in much of a link between my readings and lab results. Enjoy your weekend and watch out for pirates - they infiltrate posts while you aren't watching :angelic:

Last edited:
Reactions: geefull

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
Thanks @OrsonKartt. I agree it is a marker of underlying issues in a similar way to high bg levels. I am happy to alter my environment as regards diet and exercise in order to see that marker where I want it to be - which is basically what I have done over the past 3 years. As far as the "just a number" idea is concerned, my own take is that wishing it were so does not make it so.
Best wishes
Absolutely my take as well... from my point of view I am trying to be as free from medication other than food and activity as I can... I will modify my diet and add in vitamin c as a supplement ( see https://www.dietspotlight.com/l-arginine/ for my logic on this)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't think there is any noticeable settling just yet due to all the changes I am making. Looking back to March/April, before I was sidetracked, numbers were much better. 2 years ago today fbg was 6.2 day average was 5.7 and December a1c was 5.6 but I have very little confidence in much of a link between my readings and lab results. Enjoy your weekend and watch out for pirates - they infiltrate posts while you aren't watching :angelic:

Yes, I guess it’ll take a few months of similar regime before you can make a proper comparison.
I’d be pretty happy with your numbers, but then I’m inherently lazy, and I have never liked competition, not even with myself. I know you’re not like that and will always push yourself to achieve more.
Trust you to notice the pirate comment. Lol! I really tried hard to delete it before anyone spotted it! ( hadn’t even been on the booze that night)
Have a good weekend too, all the Ps

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, 6.2 @ 7am had 3 egg omelette and 3 bacon rashers and @ 9am it was 5.2 , still new to all this bloodletting malarkey , I’m happy to stay below 7 while still experimenting .
welcome @trick60 Those numbers - especially the after (post prandial) one look good. I will tag the official greeter @daisy1 in case you have not been welcomed or need the info she will point you towards