Type 2 With Hypo's?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey guys,

I'm stumped. Maybe you know what's going on with me. Today was another weird one. I could accept that the heat from a couple of weeks ago caused a hypo, as circumstances were extreme, but today.... The weather was normal to cool. And I think my sugar should've been relatively high. So here are the things to consider:

I'm eating keto, 10 to 20 grams of carbs a day. Currently I'm suffering from hormonal migraines, meaning I'm on my period and using sumatriptan and paracetamol to keep the migraines under control. I've barely slept these past two, three nights due to the pain by my eye, usually meaning my liver keeps dumping me into sixes by noon if I fast. Today was very stressful, though it was a good kind of stress. (Doing a photoshoot for an aquaintance, but I'm people-phobic and extremely terrified of failing when expectations are high).

Normally, things that make you go higher, rather than lower, right?

I started trembling later this afternoon, after the shoot. We went to a zoo after the photoshoot, where my knees turned to rubber, and I freaked so badly due to getting stuck in a large, noisy and claustrophobia inducing crowd (bottleneck), that I actually started to weep. I'm 39! But I felt like a raw nerve, and got a panic attack like I haven't had them in months. Anyway.... I ate a soup with some carbs in, though I have no way of telling how many, and the trebling subsided a little, but it became worse again in about half an hour. I ate again, this time a sausage with a carby/sweet sauce and caramelised onions, made my way home, and finally got to my meter, which I'd left on the table because I didn't think I'd need it. Duh. I was at 4.2, but considering what I'd eaten an hour before I should've been in the upper sixes.... So I must have been quite low. Also considering the uncontrollable shaking, which I've only had when hitting the lower three's before.

Does anyone have any idea what might be up with all this? Because it was quite scary. I finally felt confident enough not to be glued to my meter and testing all the time, fingers finally healing, and now I'm kinda back to square one. I did do a lot of walking today, but that too probably should've pushed my numbers up rather than down. I dunno. Maybe you do? Thanks in advance!
Jo

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hard work, be it physical or more brain work always makes me drop, as does walking. Fear makes me drop as well, I suppose because fear is a lot of work for the brain.
I did do a lot of walking today, but that too probably should've pushed my numbers up rather than down.
Many people take a walk to lower their numbers, works for me. Do you have the experience it makes you go up?

Hope you feel better now and the rest of the day won't give you more nasty surprises!

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hard work, be it physical or more brain work always makes me drop, as does walking. Fear makes me drop as well, I suppose because fear is a lot of work for the brain.

Many people take a walk to lower their numbers, works for me. Do you have the experience it makes you go up?

Hope you feel better now and the rest of the day won't give you more nasty surprises!
I understood excersize could up bg. Usually I go down when I walk, but today there was a bit of speedwalking uphill here and there (Burger's Zoo), not my usual relaxed flat area walk... Thought that would get my liver involved with some dumping, but I guess not. Thanks! I'm just tired now, but nothing a bit of Netflixing with tea, and a good night's rest won't fix. ;)

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@JoKalsbeek , one thing to bear in mind is that hypo symptoms like trembling aren't actually caused by low blood sugar, well, at least not directly. When your body senses bg dropping too low, autonomic sytem responses kick in to raise it. One of the main ones is releasing adrenalin to tell the liver to release glucose. It's the adrenalin rush which causes the trembling, not the low bg. It's why people shake after a car crash even when bg is fine - adrenalin rush.

You've described a couple of events which you found stressful, the photo-shoot and the zoo. Sure, there might have been some actual low bg going on there, difficult to say for sure without a bg test at the time, but don't rule out the possibility that the trembling etc. was not a hypo but just a normal bodily reaction to an adrenalin rush brought on by the stress of the situation.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I like visiting zoo's, but not during summer holidays! Burger's zoo is wonderful, especially on a tuesday morning in oktober with grey weather. If you like zoo's and need even more quiet, people-wise than Burger's on a rainy day, try Landgoed Hoenderdaell or Aquazoo. The first is also host to Stichting Leeuw, dedicated to retrain former captive big cats to the wild or wildlife sanctuary, both are parklike with lots of greenery and big area's for the animals.
Enjoy your relaxed Netflix night!

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@JoKalsbeek , one thing to bear in mind is that hypo symptoms like trembling aren't actually caused by low blood sugar, well, at least not directly. When your body senses bg dropping too low, autonomic sytem responses kick in to raise it. One of the main ones is releasing adrenalin to tell the liver to release glucose. It's the adrenalin rush which causes the trembling, not the low bg. It's why people shake after a car crash even when bg is fine - adrenalin rush.

You've described a couple of events which you found stressful, the photo-shoot and the zoo. Sure, there might have been some actual low bg going on there, difficult to say for sure without a bg test at the time, but don't rule out the possibility that the trembling etc. was not a hypo but just a normal bodily reaction to an adrenalin rush brought on by the stress of the situation.
I am stressed all the time; it's my natural state of being, and usually, tremble free. So this was fairly different, but it is something to take into account. Thank you!

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions

What is described is very similar to how I feel when I have a hypo I am not on any blood sugar lowering medication am definitely not T1 or Lada am drug induced T3E but have been as low as 2.4 and was at 2.7 about a week or so ago and I do not understand why though have read that prednisolone interferes with the livers sensitivity to natural insulin but at times takes a little holiday as it where so the liver suddenly gets to see all that insulin the pancreas has been throwing at it and acts accordingly am not sure about that though. Don't know if the op is on steroids either.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I like visiting zoo's, but not during summer holidays! Burger's zoo is wonderful, especially on a tuesday morning in oktober with grey weather. If you like zoo's and need even more quiet, people-wise than Burger's on a rainy day, try Landgoed Hoenderdaell or Aquazoo. The first is also host to Stichting Leeuw, dedicated to retrain former captive big cats to the wild or wildlife sanctuary, both are parklike with lots of greenery and big area's for the animals.
Enjoy your relaxed Netflix night!

Oh, I LOVE Stichting Leeuw and Hoenderdaell...! We've adopted Vincent, the mountian lion who likes to poo in water. ;) I do think we'll probably visit him again sometime this year, but since my husband can't get time off for a while due to work stuff.... It'll have to be in the weekend. Usually we'd take a weekday for him and his compatriots. I've never been to Aquazoo, but we still plan to though. Rather enjoyed BestZoo: Tiny, but proportionately many big cats. I love cats of all sizes. Which is why I braved Burger's today, actually... The two new panther cubs were too irresistable! They're pretty much all we did see, because the rest was just too overwhelming. People, out in droves. Yikes!!! The perks of having a season pass eh: you can bail without having to feel guilty about the ticket money. In and out, just for the kitties. ;) We also have passes for Amersfoort, which is about 15 minutes from where we live. In the evenings, an hour before closing time when the park is practically empty, it's a nice place to just walk around... Haven't had the chance much this summer, but last year we did a lot of walking there. More to see than just a stroll through the neighbourhood, you know? And when the weather's miserable it's even better. Drowns the camera's of course, but it's sure nice and quiet then too. Needless to say, we also go to the Efteling when it's pouring or freezing out, haha. No people about!

Thanks again, also for the AquaZoo suggestion.... I do think we'll go sometime, if we get a chance to. Have a great evening!

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2018-08-26 at 20.02.05.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2018-08-26 at 20.02.05.jpeg
    707.3 KB · Views: 408

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What is described is very similar to how I feel when I have a hypo I am not on any blood sugar lowering medication am definitely not T1 or Lada am drug induced T3E but have been as low as 2.4 and was at 2.7 about a week or so ago and I do not understand why though have read that prednisolone interferes with the livers sensitivity to natural insulin but at times takes a little holiday as it where so the liver suddenly gets to see all that insulin the pancreas has been throwing at it and acts accordingly am not sure about that though. Don't know if the op is on steroids either.
No steroids right now, but they usually spike me for a little bit...

Reactions: JohnEGreen

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you on insulin or an insulin mimicking / producing medication? Or, do you think you might need re-diagnosing as LADA / type 1.5?
No insulin or anything. And they checked me for lada/mody when first diagnosed because my reaction to metformin was extreme. Just simpkeT2 here. So it's just odd... I guess... But then, I've never been normal. ;)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey guys,

I'm stumped. Maybe you know what's going on with me. Today was another weird one. I could accept that the heat from a couple of weeks ago caused a hypo, as circumstances were extreme, but today.... The weather was normal to cool. And I think my sugar should've been relatively high. So here are the things to consider:

I'm eating keto, 10 to 20 grams of carbs a day. Currently I'm suffering from hormonal migraines, meaning I'm on my period and using sumatriptan and paracetamol to keep the migraines under control. I've barely slept these past two, three nights due to the pain by my eye, usually meaning my liver keeps dumping me into sixes by noon if I fast. Today was very stressful, though it was a good kind of stress. (Doing a photoshoot for an aquaintance, but I'm people-phobic and extremely terrified of failing when expectations are high).

Normally, things that make you go higher, rather than lower, right?

I started trembling later this afternoon, after the shoot. We went to a zoo after the photoshoot, where my knees turned to rubber, and I freaked so badly due to getting stuck in a large, noisy and claustrophobia inducing crowd (bottleneck), that I actually started to weep. I'm 39! But I felt like a raw nerve, and got a panic attack like I haven't had them in months. Anyway.... I ate a soup with some carbs in, though I have no way of telling how many, and the trebling subsided a little, but it became worse again in about half an hour. I ate again, this time a sausage with a carby/sweet sauce and caramelised onions, made my way home, and finally got to my meter, which I'd left on the table because I didn't think I'd need it. Duh. I was at 4.2, but considering what I'd eaten an hour before I should've been in the upper sixes.... So I must have been quite low. Also considering the uncontrollable shaking, which I've only had when hitting the lower three's before.

Does anyone have any idea what might be up with all this? Because it was quite scary. I finally felt confident enough not to be glued to my meter and testing all the time, fingers finally healing, and now I'm kinda back to square one. I did do a lot of walking today, but that too probably should've pushed my numbers up rather than down. I dunno. Maybe you do? Thanks in advance!
Jo

Hello Jo - Firstly a huge well done for breaking out of your comfort zone and doing something incredibly different from your usual way of living.

I don't think any f us could really tell you what happened, as you have had so many things in play at the time. Just above you listed:
- Hormonal migraines
- taking medication for the above
- lack of sleep for 2-3 nights
- crowded environment
- stress/excitement of the photoshoot
- visiting a zoo afterwards
- possible hunger

When you relate your more usual way of living - very quietly, with few folks around, it sounds very very different.

I'd urge you to give yourself a bit pat on the back for doing all those things, and put the experience at the later part of the day down to "one of those things", but perhaps next time you do something like it, just have a bit of something to eat with you.

Jo, please don't lose sight of the positives in the day. Focus on those and move forwards.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello Jo - Firstly a huge well done for breaking out of your comfort zone and doing something incredibly different from your usual way of living.

I don't think any f us could really tell you what happened, as you have had so many things in play at the time. Just above you listed:
- Hormonal migraines
- taking medication for the above
- lack of sleep for 2-3 nights
- crowded environment
- stress/excitement of the photoshoot
- visiting a zoo afterwards
- possible hunger

When you relate your more usual way of living - very quietly, with few folks around, it sounds very very different.

I'd urge you to give yourself a bit pat on the back for doing all those things, and put the experience at the later part of the day down to "one of those things", but perhaps next time you do something like it, just have a bit of something to eat with you.

Jo, please don't lose sight of the positives in the day. Focus on those and move forwards.
Thank you...! I do hope it is just a matter of a "perfect storm"; a whole lot of stuff happening all at once with this as a result, not likely to be repeated in this bizarre combination. The shoot and the panther cub pics all turned out well, so it was thoroughly worth it.

Thanks again for the compliment. It's hard to see accomplishments when all you're really aware of are the limitations a mental illness like severe anxiety puts on your life. But yeah... I did kindof kick b*tt today, eh...

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
We've adopted Vincent, the mountian lion who likes to poo in water. ;)
I'll say hello to Vincent next time we visit! Probably later this year or early next year :)
I've never been to Aquazoo, but we still plan to though.
I like Aquazoo, but a little less since they got polar bears and crocodiles last year. I feel rather sorry for them. But if you go there, use 50 cents to get food at the skunks/raccoons and feed them to the kleinklauwottertjes a little further. The food sticks to their palates and they're just too funny when they try to get rid of it and beg for more at the same time :p (Please don't tell anyone I told you to do this)
Rather enjoyed BestZoo:
Have to try that one!
The two new panther cubs
Ooooooooooh <3 And love the picture!

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'll say hello to Vincent next time we visit! Probably later this year or early next year :)

I like Aquazoo, but a little less since they got polar bears and crocodiles last year. I feel rather sorry for them. But if you go there, use 50 cents to get food at the skunks/raccoons and feed them to the kleinklauwottertjes a little further. The food sticks to their palates and they're just too funny when they try to get rid of it and beg for more at the same time (Please don't tell anyone I told you to do this)

Have to try that one!

Ooooooooooh <3 And love the picture!
Thanks for the tip! Now I want to go there immediately...! But we're making it an early night, and they're probably closed now anyway. Thanks for making me laugh. You and the others made me feel better about the day... Time to catch up on some sleep. G'nite!

Reactions: ziggy_w

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the tip! Now I want to go there immediately...! But we're making it an early night, and they're probably closed now anyway. Thanks for making me laugh. You and the others made me feel better about the day... Time to catch up on some sleep. G'nite!
Good to know we've made you feel better, slaap lekker!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hormones play an important role in your daily life and routine, it is not all about glucose and insulin, as has been already said, adrenaline is often used as fight or flight. Then the other major hormone is adrenaline, from the glands. And so much more that can effect your health, oestrogen for women for example.
Stress, frustration, tiredness, sleep deprivation, will not help with your symptoms. Someone with anxiety, panic attacks, depression, can be effected by high circulating insulin levels.
The symptoms you described could be a hypo. There are definitely conditions that cause Hypoglycaemia even if you are T2, or like myself, non diabetic.
There are false hypos, the same symptoms are found, by a rapid rise in glucose levels, or a sudden drop or bouncing around after a carb laden meal. Very high glucose levels are similar in symptoms, that is why it is necessary to test, when you get the symptoms.
Walking, gentle exercise is really good for getting your blood glucose levels back down, too much and your body will require more glucose, hence the liver dump.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hormones play an important role in your daily life and routine, it is not all about glucose and insulin, as has been already said, adrenaline is often used as fight or flight. Then the other major hormone is adrenaline, from the glands. And so much more that can effect your health, oestrogen for women for example.
Stress, frustration, tiredness, sleep deprivation, will not help with your symptoms. Someone with anxiety, panic attacks, depression, can be effected by high circulating insulin levels.
The symptoms you described could be a hypo. There are definitely conditions that cause Hypoglycaemia even if you are T2, or like myself, non diabetic.
There are false hypos, the same symptoms are found, by a rapid rise in glucose levels, or a sudden drop or bouncing around after a carb laden meal. Very high glucose levels are similar in symptoms, that is why it is necessary to test, when you get the symptoms.
Walking, gentle exercise is really good for getting your blood glucose levels back down, too much and your body will require more glucose, hence the liver dump.

Thank you. For a moment there I was thinking of reactive hypo's, because contrary to what I'm used to now, I didn't skip breakfast in the morning. Had about 5 grams of carbs because it was going to be a very active day. But the odds are infinitesimal, and I realise that. (I did pass out cold once when I skipped food on a hot/humid day, about half a year befor I found out I was diabetic. But those things are too long and far in between to be indicative of an issue, I think.) False hypo's, I haven't had those since I got my bloodsugar down to the 4's, 5's and 6's, so that's a bit unlikely. I feel ill/hyper when I hit a seven these days. I so wish I'd brought my meter! Was just so tired of lugging it around all the time without really needing it anymore. Guess that showed me eh.

M

Moggely

Do you often skip meals @JoKalsbeek ?.Just curious because i have done this IF and no it isn't for me. I didn't do to badly on it but i did get very shaky and no my levels didn't go low. Normal for me in fact. Also got nervous as well. So it seems many can go without food and some even days, but for me it would make me shaky, nervous and quite sick. Sleepless wouldn't help either. I did have a bit of a giggle at you saying your not normal. I can relate to nervousness especially around people and depression but since getting into my 50's and now 60's i really don't get that anymore but still remember it. I think your normal.:p