urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Sooo, Therasense had the better products and Abbott had the clout, so back in 2004, A bought T for a cool $1.2 billion.

Thanks Scott - I was tempted to go with billions, but it looked a bit melodramatic really, when compared with £50 per sensor.

CEO reckons they are on track for a million users sometime next year.
https://www.drugdeliverybusiness.com/abbott-ceo-aims-for-more-than-one-million-libre-users-by-2019/

So at 26 sensors per user per annum, averaging let's say £40 a pop, that's gonna come out around £1.4bn turnover.

Plus, as I work in medical research I know that development hours are tax deductable (in the UK at least) because my employer never stops banging on about booking project time.

I think Abbott are doing OK.

Reactions: Ledzeptt

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
CEO reckons they are on track for a million users sometime next year.
https://www.drugdeliverybusiness.com/abbott-ceo-aims-for-more-than-one-million-libre-users-by-2019/

So at 26 sensors per user per annum, averaging let's say £40 a pop, that's gonna come out around £1.4bn turnover.

Plus, as I work in medical research I know that development hours are tax deductable (in the UK at least) because my employer never stops banging on about booking project time.

I think Abbott are doing OK.

Don't get me wrong, UR, I'd love it if it was cheaper for self-funders (and, indeed, ccgs who are funding it through script), but there's the hard reality that companies just wouldn't bother taking all the risks of bringing a product to market if they are not going to get a decent return on them.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Don't get me wrong, UR, I'd love it if it was cheaper for self-funders (and, indeed, ccgs who are funding it through script), but there's the hard reality that companies just wouldn't bother taking all the risks of bringing a product to market if they are not going to get a decent return on them.

Of course, - I am only suggesting that development costs to Abbott may not have been as high as some are thinking, and they've probably been covered by now.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
****, this sh*t is pretty expensive huh? £60 a sensor which only last for 2 weeks. So like over £1500 a year on sensors.

Don't know where you're buying them from but you can save yourself £40 a month by going to a Superdrug pharmacy.

James_Donnelly

Don't know where you're buying them from but you can save yourself £40 a month by going to a Superdrug pharmacy.
Oh I havent bought any, I don't use any this stuff. I just saw it was 60 quid on the actual freestyle website.

I'd maybe use it though if it was only 80 quid a month. Can I find it on the superdrug website?

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's actually 50 quid on freestyle - 60 quid includes VAT, which you can tick a box to say you don't need to pay it. I'll let others comment on the costs from physical pharmacies - but it won't be websites.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Oh I havent bought any, I don't use any this stuff. I just saw it was 60 quid on the actual freestyle website.

I'd maybe use it though if it was only 80 quid a month. Can I find it on the superdrug website?

No, you have to go to a store pharmacy and order it. My nearest Superdrug pharmacy usually takes 2 days to get them in. There's a limit on how many you can order although I've never had a problem with getting 2 each time. Not all Superdrug stores have pharmacies though, so worth a check if you have to travel to find one. Also available from other pharmacies like Boots but they are more expensive.

simonr1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People telling me "You can't eat this and You can't eat that." and of course " You don't look Diabetic!"
****, this sh*t is pretty expensive huh? £60 a sensor which only last for 2 weeks. So like over £1500 a year on sensors.
I get mine from ASDA...

simonr1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People telling me "You can't eat this and You can't eat that." and of course " You don't look Diabetic!"
It's actually 50 quid on freestyle - 60 quid includes VAT, which you can tick a box to say you don't need to pay it. I'll let others comment on the costs from physical pharmacies - but it won't be websites.
I get mine for £44 at ASDA. Have to sign a form. Also i think it depends on if the local heath authority prescribes them as they are not on sale where I live but where my Parents live they are.....

James_Donnelly

I get mine for £44 at ASDA. Have to sign a form. Also i think it depends on if the local heath authority prescribes them as they are not on sale where I live but where my Parents live they are.....
I have an Asda 2 minutes from me. Where do you get it from in there exactly? I didn't think they had pharmacies in Asdas?

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I have an Asda 2 minutes from me. Where do you get it from in there exactly? I didn't think they had pharmacies in Asdas?

Some do, some don't, you'll need to check. Mine refused to ask the store manager to set up an account with Abbott until somebody asked for them on prescription. I went in 3 times over a couple of months then gave up waiting.

James_Donnelly

I have another question. I have never used this before but may do so in the future. How does it work exactly? By that I mean, is the sensor providing constant info to the meter and alerts you if you are low or is it simple just the same as measuring yourself only you scan the sensor with the meter as opposed to pricking your finger to get blood? Because tbh, if it's the 2nd, then 100 quid a month just to avoid pricking your finger doesnt seem worth it haha

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I have another question. I have never used this before but may do so in the future. How does it work exactly? By that I mean, is the sensor providing constant info to the meter and alerts you if you are low or is it simple just the same as measuring yourself only you scan the sensor with the meter as opposed to pricking your finger to get blood? Because tbh, if it's the 2nd, then 100 quid a month just to avoid pricking your finger doesnt seem worth it haha
You have to scan get the data with Libre. However, you can buy a transmitter to sit on top of it which will Bluetooth the data to your phone every five minutes, and you can set alerts etc on that.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's not just the finger pricking advantage. It's the knowing whether you are going to go low or high, which are the main advantages. Plus instantly getting a reading, being able to do it in the night, or discreetly when out. Lots of people find the daily patterns useful, although I don't use that functionality.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Also, even if you don't scan for a while it automatically gives you up to the last 8 hours when you do finally scan, so it's awesome for finding out what your blood sugar is actually doing overnight. If it still worked for me I would willingly self fund, but unfortunately it doesn't at all.

James_Donnelly

I just looked at the website. It says it isn't measuring blood but fluid near the cells, and that it can be 5 minutes behind. 5 minutes behind isn't great for a hypo is it, so in that case if you were starting to feel low would blood measuring still be best?

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I just looked at the website. It says it isn't measuring blood but fluid near the cells, and that it can be 5 minutes behind. 5 minutes behind isn't great for a hypo is it, so in that case if you were starting to feel low would blood measuring still be best?

I thought it was actually 15 mins behind (though I could be wrong) and yes they do say if you're going hypo (or your blood sugar level is changing rapidly) then yes you need to actually do a blood test to find out what you're at.
I find it can be out by quite a bit either when it's showing low or high.

D

Deleted Account

There are many threads about the Libre on this site - it's worth having a look around.
But regarding your comments on hypos, there are two ways to look at it
- as has been previously mentioned, the Libre is not a replacement to finger pricking. The value is in the trends - the Libre can tell you if you BG is rising or falling and the history can be used to help adjust your insulin doses.
- if you have a hypo, it is too late. In association with other tech, the Libre can warn you when a hypo is predicted rather than when your BG has already dropped below 4.0. It can warn you, for example that your BG is less than 4.5 and you can then chec whether it is still falling sharply and react before you hypo.

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I was walking in the highlands with a friend who is also T1. We'd got to an appropriate flat spot for a bit of a breather, and I thought "time to test sugar" - and she thought the same.

I reached into my pocket, pulled out the reader, pressed a button, waved it against my arm, read the number, pressed the button again to turn it off and put it back in my pocket. Entire process less than 10 seconds I think.

She took her rucksack off, unpacked the fingerprint reader, took gloves off, assembled the strip into the reader, pricked, picked the blood up onto the strip, waited for the reading, packed everything away again, gloves back on, rucksack back on. That's quite a lot of faff.

It may not seem like it's worth the difference, but it definitely is - and that's just for the instant reading. I could also see whether I was going up or down and how fast, which the finger prick doesn't give you unless you do another a few minutes later.

In another thread you've talked about going hypo from exercise. If you're on an exercise bike, you can reach over to the reader, scan, check, done, all without stopping pedalling. (then munch some fast acting sugar if it's dropping). I can test while running. (I think I have managed to test while riding on the road, though I'd not necessarily recommend it and I do normally stop for that :)

It's a fairly massive step change in usefulness compared to fingerpricks. The add-ons that helensaramay mentions (eg miaomiao) take it to another level again, with the real time alerting (though if you read the warnings, you mustn't use them for that - the joys of open source software which hasn't gone through any medical approvals process).