pre-diabetes, fasting blood sugars.

• Thread starter catherinecherub
  • Start Date

ranireema

Hi all..I'm new to the forum..just a few doubts:
- For fasting bs levels, should we take the reading right after waking up(i.e abt 9hrs after dinner) or should we wait for the 12 hour fasting levels? which of these is the ideal one? TIA

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi all..I'm new to the forum..just a few doubts:
- For fasting bs levels, should we take the reading right after waking up(i.e abt 9hrs after dinner) or should we wait for the 12 hour fasting levels? which of these is the ideal one? TIA

FBG is measured after waking up and before eating anything. Dont forget that some people eat 3 meals/day others just 1 or 2 but the BG reading is still that taken after waking up. Best wishes for your future measurements.

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
84 mg/dl for me very early today. Thats equivalent to about 4.66 m moles/l

PreDiet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
83 mg/dl very early this morning. Pity others are not posting here, its not a competition but it is a good discipline.

there used to be a lot more last year , a lot of people have gone , I went into remission but have slipped back , like you say , this helps with discipline . Pre-Diet

Reactions: Prem51

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
there used to be a lot more last year , a lot of people have gone , I went into remission but have slipped back , like you say , this helps with discipline . Pre-Diet

So lets try and get it going again, this way we can help ourselves and hopefully others.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Pity others are not posting here, its not a competition but it is a good discipline.
Unfortunately discipline is not always enough. When I see a fasting reading that is higher than I hoped despite having cut carbs to the bone, the last thing I want is to read about other people's better results. In the same way, those of us who are physically disabled will presumably not be keen to read about other people's exercise programmes.

Last edited:

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Unfort

Unfortunately discipline is not always enough. When I see a fasting reading that is higher than I hoped despite having cut carbs to the bone, the last thing I want is to read about other people's better results. In the same way, those of us who are physically disabled will presumably not be keen to read about other people's exercise programmes.

I get the impression from your post of too much negativity and perhaps a tad too much self pity. I may be mistaken, but thats the impression. I am in my 76 th year have a few health problems of my own, one of which is cancer. Over the years I have seen plenty of people with better FBG results than mine, they also participate in more exercise programs than I could possibly manage physically. I have always been motivated by the good results of others and old enough to do the best exercise I can manage within the limits of my situation. My serious health problems began at age 46 and here I am still enjoying life almost 30 years later. I consider myself very fortunate in having reached my present age .The cancer is a bit of a ******, but we cant live forever.I always share the joys of others when I read how well they have done and hope that others will also be spurred on to try for bettering their troubles. Apart from spreading gloom and doom, I think that you could enjoy/celebrate what you have left of your health ie make the best of it instead of accentuating the negative.

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
"FBG" a couple of hours ago, 87 mg/dl . Adding back a couple of vegetables to my last meal of the day, bumps up the BG a bit. Will continue to see if things settle down with time, otherwise it will back to ca 10-12 grams carbs/day.

Reactions: Prem51

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How shall I put it, that would indicate that perhaps the problem is elsewhere ie "you take yourself wherever you go".
Do you believe that our bg levels are 100% controllable by our will-power and dietary choices?

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Of course I do not believe that. But I do believe that a positive mental attitude makes a difference as to how we enjoy life, although I do realise that some will need medications to correct biochemical malfunctions that mask these joys.

Reactions: Dean76

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My FBG has reduced a bit over the last 2 years to the point where it is nearly always below 6, problem is it rises throughout the morning and it appears there is little I can do to combat it. I try eating a little or not eating, it makes no difference. It can be up to 7 by 10.30am. I do a bit of exercise and it comes down, but then gradually increases again :banghead::banghead:.

Reactions: Pasha

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
My FBG has reduced a bit over the last 2 years to the point where it is nearly always below 6, problem is it rises throughout the morning and it appears there is little I can do to combat it. I try eating a little or not eating, it makes no difference. It can be up to 7 by 10.30am. I do a bit of exercise and it comes down, but then gradually increases again :banghead::banghead:.

Does that pattern repeat itself in the afternoon or evening. From what I understand we are more insulin resistant in the morning. My BG results show this clearly to apply for me. and like you, there is not much I seem able to do about it.

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No its just the morning. A small low carb snack such as a few nuts upon waking does seem to halt the rise a bit but not much.