1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

pre-diabetes, fasting blood sugars.

Discussion in 'Prediabetes' started by catherinecherub, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Pasha

Pasha Prediabetes · Expert

82 mg/dl early this morning.

• Like Like x 1
  2. ranireema

ranireema · Newbie

Hi all..I'm new to the forum..just a few doubts:
    - For fasting bs levels, should we take the reading right after waking up(i.e abt 9hrs after dinner) or should we wait for the 12 hour fasting levels? which of these is the ideal one? TIA

3. Pasha

FBG is measured after waking up and before eating anything. Dont forget that some people eat 3 meals/day others just 1 or 2 but the BG reading is still that taken after waking up. Best wishes for your future measurements.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Pasha

84 mg/dl for me very early today. Thats equivalent to about 4.66 m moles/l

• Winner Winner x 2
  5. PreDiet

PreDiet Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

5.6 not bad , can't beat Pasha eh! lol , go Pasha go!!

• Like Like x 2
  6. PreDiet

PreDiet Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

there used to be a lot more last year , a lot of people have gone , I went into remission but have slipped back , like you say , this helps with discipline . Pre-Diet

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Juicetin

Juicetin Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

My Tee2 meter is reading consistently between 5.5 and 6 every morning.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Pasha

So lets try and get it going again, this way we can help ourselves and hopefully others.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Alexandra100

Alexandra100 Prefer not to say · Well-Known Member

Unfortunately discipline is not always enough. When I see a fasting reading that is higher than I hoped despite having cut carbs to the bone, the last thing I want is to read about other people's better results. In the same way, those of us who are physically disabled will presumably not be keen to read about other people's exercise programmes.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
    #589 Alexandra100, Sep 13, 2018 at 8:20 PM
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  10. Pasha

I get the impression from your post of too much negativity and perhaps a tad too much self pity. I may be mistaken, but thats the impression. I am in my 76 th year have a few health problems of my own, one of which is cancer. Over the years I have seen plenty of people with better FBG results than mine, they also participate in more exercise programs than I could possibly manage physically. I have always been motivated by the good results of others and old enough to do the best exercise I can manage within the limits of my situation. My serious health problems began at age 46 and here I am still enjoying life almost 30 years later. I consider myself very fortunate in having reached my present age .The cancer is a bit of a ******, but we cant live forever.I always share the joys of others when I read how well they have done and hope that others will also be spurred on to try for bettering their troubles. Apart from spreading gloom and doom, I think that you could enjoy/celebrate what you have left of your health ie make the best of it instead of accentuating the negative.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. Alexandra100

My point was that sometimes for some people even maximum / perfect motivation doesn't work.

12. Pasha

"FBG" a couple of hours ago, 87 mg/dl . Adding back a couple of vegetables to my last meal of the day, bumps up the BG a bit. Will continue to see if things settle down with time, otherwise it will back to ca 10-12 grams carbs/day.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  13. Pasha

How shall I put it, that would indicate that perhaps the problem is elsewhere ie "you take yourself wherever you go".

• Like Like x 1
  14. Alexandra100

Do you believe that our bg levels are 100% controllable by our will-power and dietary choices?

15. Pasha

Of course I do not believe that. But I do believe that a positive mental attitude makes a difference as to how we enjoy life, although I do realise that some will need medications to correct biochemical malfunctions that mask these joys.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Juicetin

Oppo Ice Cream, its pretty good and quite low carb.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Juicetin

My FBG has reduced a bit over the last 2 years to the point where it is nearly always below 6, problem is it rises throughout the morning and it appears there is little I can do to combat it. I try eating a little or not eating, it makes no difference. It can be up to 7 by 10.30am. I do a bit of exercise and it comes down, but then gradually increases again :banghead::banghead:.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  18. Pasha

Does that pattern repeat itself in the afternoon or evening. From what I understand we are more insulin resistant in the morning. My BG results show this clearly to apply for me. and like you, there is not much I seem able to do about it.

19. Juicetin

No its just the morning. A small low carb snack such as a few nuts upon waking does seem to halt the rise a bit but not much.

20. Pasha

Maybe some kind of physiological insulin resistance.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook