Losing too much weight

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, your post left room for some ambiguity, which I just wanted to clear up, for my own understanding.

People are people, and just like some naturally fair haired people frazzle and burn in the sum, some, albeit a smaller number will tan beautifully and compound their gorgeousness.

In my view it is important that we understand at the outset of any regime that just because Janet or John round the corner achieved X or Y, it doesn't necessarily mean we will too - even family members adopting the same approach can vastly differ.

Interestingly, I attended a health even last week and for the first time, ever (I've done a few), there were several people rocking up to the stand I was on declaring they had reversed or put their T2 into remission. I was astonished, but to be honest, love him or loath them, people like Michael Mosely getting onto mainstream TV and radio talking about it is making a difference.

That said, when I enquired how those claiming remission/reversal (and I didn't ask them to define it for themselves), their approaches were very varied, and although loosely carbs were reduced, not, in their cases, as much as is often stated here.

These are interesting times in the world of diabetes, and in my opinion there's never been a better time to be diagnosed than now - if one had to be diagnosed at all
I do agree that my post was ambiguous. I also agree that these are very interesting times and there's never been a better time to be diagnosed than now.

It's interesting that we are all so different and that people are finding out what really works for them.

I have a friend who is T2 and has come off insulin by going vegan. She hasn't even gone low carb vegan but has gone very high carb vegan and very restricted calories. Basically she eats everything I don't but not very much of it and her blood sugars are in the 4s for a lot of the day. It's very puzzling but it definitely works for her. She also runs for miles. I knew I had to go down the low carb route because it was a way of eating that I like and could stick to - and there was no way l was going to take up running.

It is great that people are going into remission or reversing diabetes now. My medical records state that I am in remission. I actually don't class myself as in remission. I prefer to think of myself as diet controlled because that, to me, is very clearly what I am. Maybe in the future - when I can eat 50g of carbs and not spike my BS and stay high for hours afterwards I will call myself in remission. I have a horrible feeling that this may be years away for me - if ever.

I shouldn't complain though as I feel loads better now than when I was injecting and I do really love the huge range of food I can eat.

Reactions: Debandez

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
If anyone would prescribe me insulin I would take it like a shot in the hopes of "resting" my poor pancreas. Here is Jenny Ruhl on the subject: https://www.bloodsugar101.com/insulin-for-type-2-diabetes
A very informative article from Jenny Ruhl. It explains everything you need to know about starting on insulin. Very interesting also about the history of diabetes treatment. How scary that doctors in the past allowed their patients to run dangerously high blood sugars because research had not yet proven that lowering blood sugar could prevent complications.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, but also IMO you have managed your diabetes with lots of care, intelligence and determination. A good example!
Just wanted to say thank you. Also I couldn't have done it without the help of members on this forum. I have learnt so much on here and am still learning about this condition - a very valuable resource.

Lynnzhealth

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am in the same situation over here in Canada. I was 69 when I was diagnosed T2 in March 2017 and I weighed 156 lb, 11.14 stone, 70 kg. I was put on Metformin, but quit it after about 2 weeks. I started the Keto plan in May or June 2017 and my A1C went down to the normal range and my weight was 102 lbs this morning, 7.2 stone, 46 kg. I am only 5' 1.5" and I am still amazed at how small I am. My family and friends are astounded because they've never seen me this small. To be honest, I've never seen me this small. I almost forgot, I had bariatric surgery 39 years ago and only got down to 135 lbs. My top half is looking kind of scrawny, but trust me, my bottom half still has fat, but that's how I've always been. I was telling myself on my dog walk this morning that finally after 70 years I like my weight and hope I can stay this way for another 20 years. It took me so long to get here, but it took T2 to do it. I also want to keep that under control and I know starchy veggies, bread, sugar, flour spikes me even if I don't eat any of those things for months on end. My diabetic educator also told me NOT to give up anything, moderation is the key. Moderation does not work for me with those things. I do have to say that both my physician and DE are impressed with how well I've been doing, but they still don't advocate the LCHF lifestyle. There are too many people younger than me that are dying from diabetes and the complications that come with it because they are told to eat normally and take their medications or insulin. I wish the medical profession would get with the program and maybe so many people would be able to enjoy a longer life. I'm glad I found this thread today because I've been wonder how to NOT lose anymore weight. Thanks for this forum.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How scary that doctors in the past allowed their patients to run dangerously high blood sugars because research had not yet proven that lowering blood sugar could prevent complications.
Not just in the past, but right now.

Lynnzhealth

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For those folks on here that love bread I found a Keto-friendly Psyllium Husk/Flaxseed bread recipe that I've made four times so far and it's turned out perfectly (follow recipe carefully). Here is the link if anyone would like to try it. It's delicious and makes great toast. www.lowcarbmaven.com/the-best-psyllium-flax-bread/

ivan 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I lost 4 st. within 6 months.Cannot lose weight forever.
Start with more protein and fats.Two eggs for breakfast instead of one, fried on butter instead of boiled.
I love hazelnuts,full of healthy fats and calories.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Since sauces are difficult without carbs, I find grated cheese (highest strength mature Cheddar) rescues many a meal. Cheese also adds protein, fat and calories

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fill your boots with it!
Double cream does contain 1.5g carbs per 100ml, but also a lot of deliciousness. I would find it hard now to go back to skim milk in my coffee and even tea, not to mention on my Hartley's 10 cal jelly.

Keith_Simpson

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and given 3 months to do life style changes to avoid going on medication. I have been following a low carb diet and my levels seem to have come down (finger prick test not the 3 month one). I have lost a stone in weight and am now just under 8 stone. I really don't want to lose any more weight but don't want my levels to rise and have to take medication. Any advice please. Thank you.

Either you are not eating enough carbohydrate to produce sufficient glucose for your daily needs OR you have inadequate insulin to use the glucose that you do have, so your body thinks it hasn't enough glucose & then releases stored glucose that in fact is not needed. You will have to decide which because there doesn't appear to be any test to determine if you have adequate insulin to satisfy your normal requirements. If insufficient insulin is the problem then medication to reduce resistence may help but often these come with side effects. Only insulin is without side effects, if used carefully to avoid hypos & by the way is more likely to result in weight gain than loss. More importasnt though, insulin is the only thing that takes back control from the diabates. Unfortunately many GP's will not want to prescribe insulin for type 2, at least not at first. I was given metformin of course & immediately [the next day] developed Raynaud's syndrome [ice cold extremities] which lasted 6 months after I stopped Metformin but it did go back to normal in the end. This is not a recognised side effect. of metformin, probably because GP's will usually dismiss cold extremities as caused by diabetes itself as opposed to metformin.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Either you are not eating enough carbohydrate to produce sufficient glucose for your daily needs OR you have inadequate insulin to use the glucose that you do have, so your body thinks it hasn't enough glucose & then releases stored glucose that in fact is not needed. You will have to decide which because there doesn't appear to be any test to determine if you have adequate insulin to satisfy your normal requirements. If insufficient insulin is the problem then medication to reduce resistence may help but often these come with side effects. Only insulin is without side effects, if used carefully to avoid hypos & by the way is more likely to result in weight gain than loss. More importasnt though, insulin is the only thing that takes back control from the diabates. Unfortunately many GP's will not want to prescribe insulin for type 2, at least not at first. I was given metformin of course & immediately [the next day] developed Raynaud's syndrome [ice cold extremities] which lasted 6 months after I stopped Metformin but it did go back to normal in the end. This is not a recognised side effect. of metformin, probably because GP's will usually dismiss cold extremities as caused by diabetes itself as opposed to metformin.

Your first sentence. Not eating enough carb to produce sufficient glucose. One point is that of gluconeogenesis, another point is that the human body can do very well in the absence of carbs i.e there is no such thing as an essential carbohydrate or an essential level of carbohydrates.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was given metformin of course & immediately [the next day] developed Raynaud's syndrome [ice cold extremities] which lasted 6 months after I stopped Metformin but it did go back to normal in the end. This is not a recognised side effect. of metformin, probably because GP's will usually dismiss cold extremities as caused by diabetes itself as opposed to metformin.
I would tend to agree with the GPs that poor peripheral circulation is more likely to be due to raised bg than to Metformin. For years I suffered from Raynaud's and terrible circulation to my extremities, due I now believe to untreated raised bg levels (which were not high enough for pre-diabetes to be diagnosed). Around August 2017 I found out about my A1c of 41 and began reducing the carbs in my diet. More recently I chose to start Glucophage and have been taking the maximum dose for some while. I am now seeing a gradual but very gratifying reduction in these long-term problems with my hands. Before they looked as if the fingers had been dipped in red ink up to the second joints. Now they look almost normal.

IMO the fact that you developed this known diabetic complication the day after starting Metformin is coincidence. It would be a pity if people considering taking Metformin, usually considered a valuable and harmless med, were to be deterred by your story.

SheilaSalop

@Kiggy Just a suggestion, but why eat the Bran Flakes and bananas if they send you sky high? Could you face a 3 egg mushroom omelet or a couple of boiled eggs, or a full fat yogurt with 2 or 3 strawberries added? I found eating extra eggs, extra butter, cream and cheese helped me stabilise my weight. I also returned to an old habit of red wine in the evenings - plenty of calories in that, but no carbs!

Hi, I have watched some really good lectures [recommended on here] re low card diet and they make loads of sense but I have not been able to find anything on eating more fat an the effects on cholesterol. Can you point me in the right direction - good news about the red wine tho!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
There is so much propaganda about fat causing high cholesterol, and that it is going to be dangerous - someone made it up and repeated it so often that it just had to be true.
My own experience, and that of Dr Atkins, was that my cholesterol went down and the ratios improved when eating low carb and the fats which came along with the meat and fish, plus olive oil.
The oldest people tend to have higher levels of cholesterol than the ones who died younger.

Kiggy

I think T2s typically over produce insulin prior to and in the early stages of diagnosis.

Diagnosis is often because the pancreas has maxed out and can no longer over produce enough.

This is one reason that rapid weight loss and reversal of Insulin Resistance can effectively reverse T2 if done in time. The pancreas is still fully functional (or nearly so) and once the demand for insulin falls all is fine.

However if you don't catch it in time and your pancreas has reduced insulin production then you are too far down the one way street. If you don't treat your Insulin Resistance then the pancreas fails further, and you are on the long traditional path to insulin injections, via drugs which wring that extra little bit out of a failing pancreas over a short(ish) period.

I had my IR tested and I had low insulin production and mild IR. Difficult to decide what these figures mean because on a keto diet the insulin demand is low so you would expect low insulin production. However I'm pretty sure that I'm not over producing insulin.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I have watched some really good lectures [recommended on here] re low card diet and they make loads of sense but I have not been able to find anything on eating more fat an the effects on cholesterol. Can you point me in the right direction - good news about the red wine tho!
Hi. I've read recently that only 15% of the fat you eat is converted to blood cholesterol. The liver is the main producer of cholesterol and there is no indication that it is influenced to any extent by the fat you eat whereas carbs are easily converted to fat by the liver. I think there is little reliable scientific evidence in any direction on this and as fat has a fairly complex metabolic route in the body it doesn't directly influence the liver. That's my amateur take on it!

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. I've read recently that only 15% of the fat you eat is converted to blood cholesterol. The liver is the main producer of cholesterol and there is no indication that it is influenced to any extent by the fat you eat whereas carbs are easily converted to fat by the liver. I think there is little reliable scientific evidence in any direction on this and as fat has a fairly complex metabolic route in the body it doesn't directly influence the liver. That's my amateur take on it!
My take on this is: We know raised bg is extremely harmful. We know eating more carbs than our body can handle raises bg. (And, yes, lots of other factors can also raise bg.) Currently we do not know how harmful raised cholesterol in our blood is. We do not know if consuming saturated fats raises cholesterol in our blood. Therefore I prefer to eat VLC in order to keep my bg as low as possible, and this involves me in eating far more animal protein and fat than before. I have to eat something, and it's not (mostly) going to be carbs.