What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal :eek: EEK at your rogue reading! :eek:

Tuesady nosh:

(Early) Breakfast; 2nd half of raw baby broad beans with stilton, lemon juice & zest, fresh mint, basil leaves, cress and a little olive oil. Coffee with almond Alpro and a little Truvia.

Lunch - just redcurrant & raspberry tea.

Dinner - Heck 97% sausages with sage leaves wrapped i streaky bacon ; cabbage mix (from pack) micowaved with a few added cranberries and a couple of teaspoons of orange juice. frozen blackforest berry mix with creme fraiche and a little Truvia. lemongrass & lime herb tea. Piece of usual choccie.

Bedtime cocoa with a mix of double cream & almond Alpro, with teaspoon of Truvia

Water which although I'm quite thirsty, I'm having trouble getting enough down..:banghead:

Yesterday (just!):
Breakfast: coffee, double cream, truvia, and a couple of spoonfuls of hazelnut chcolate muffin

Lunch: feta with black olives, Piccolo tomatoes, thai basil and olive oil; more hazelnut muffin with Halo Top vanilla ice cream; turmeric tea.

Dinner: pudding (as I wasn't really hungry so wasn't aiming to have a main course): what was supposed to be a lovely jjuicy Wlliam pear but disappointingly was a bit on the mushy side having passed its best. Herb tea & water
Post pear nap: decided I did need a main course so stir fried salmon and asparagus with creme fraiche , lemon juice and fresh dill sauce; 2nd pudding:wideyed: Oppo salted caramel ice cream with Sukrin Gold syrup and roasted salted pecans and an extra sprinkle of pink salt. Lemongrass & ginger tea.

Water & just a single piece of Lindt 85% today..

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hope you're OK now? xx
Yes thanks!

Just pulled the car over, bought pork pie. Ate. And Mr B took over the driving.

My hypos almost always seem to have 2 elements; lowish bg tipped over into a hypo by either physical exertion, stress, or having gluten on board. Which explains the unpredictable bit. This time it was probably the traffic (awful) on unknown roads and being under time pressure. But all fine within a few mins of eating, thanks. :D

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes thanks!

Just pulled the car over, bought pork pie. Ate. And Mr B took over the driving.

My hypos almost always seem to have 2 elements; lowish bg tipped over into a hypo by either physical exertion, stress, or having gluten on board. Which explains the unpredictable bit. This time it was probably the traffic (awful) on unknown roads and being under time pressure. But all fine within a few mins of eating, thanks. :D
The unpredictable element to that event is not good so glad it all ended well. I don't want a hypo but the idea of eating a pork game pie for genuine medical reasons appeals to me

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The prospect of eating a pork or game pie is horrendous for me. I have never been a pastry fan, with hot water crust being most unpalatable to my tastes.

A few weeks ago, we had a leftover mini porker in the fridge in danger of going over into the bin. As MrB wasn't fancying it at the time, I stripped it of it's little coat and chopped the filling into my lunchtime salad.

There was a delicate little pile of binnage left at the end. :yuck::yuck::yuck:

I'd have to be really desperate to repeat the experience, but such is the beauty of us all.

Reactions: ianpspurs

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Haha! I won't say that pork pies are a favourite, although the cheese and pickle ones are OK, and the brand makes a huge diff to the quality and enjoyment. But what amused me most about the whole thing was how my priorities ruled the choice. there I was, in a corner shop filled with the usual package convenience food - crisps, sweets, choc, fruit juice, lucozade, yada yada, and my hypo-brain bungled its way to choosing a pork pie?!?!? Haha! utterly bizarre! And lots of other choices would have avoided gluten, wouldn't they? But I had to home in on something with gluten.

Decision making was obviously affected.
So a good job Mr B was around to take over the driving.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Haha! I won't say that pork pies are a favourite, although the cheese and pickle ones are OK, and the brand makes a huge diff to the quality and enjoyment. But what amused me most about the whole thing was how my priorities ruled the choice. there I was, in a corner shop filled with the usual package convenience food - crisps, sweets, choc, fruit juice, lucozade, yada yada, and my hypo-brain bungled its way to choosing a pork pie?!?!? Haha! utterly bizarre! And lots of other choices would have avoided gluten, wouldn't they? But I had to home in on something with gluten.

Decision making was obviously affected.
So a good job Mr B was around to take over the driving.
Far too many Mr Bs to these comments lately. Who are they all, the public demands to know:angelic:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Far too many Mr Bs to these comments lately. Who are they all, the public demands to know:angelic:

You will find it enormously gratifying to learn that @Brunneria 's MrB and my own are quite different gentlemen. I don't do sharing in that regard, and I'm pretty certain Brunneria doesn't either.

It's be a bit of a long schlep.....

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
You will find it enormously gratifying to learn that @Brunneria 's MrB and my own are quite different gentlemen. I don't do sharing in that regard, and I'm pretty certain Brunneria doesn't either.

It's be a bit of a long schlep.....
That's the trouble with this country today no community spirit. That kind of sharing was all the rage during the war years - and we don't need to know about Mr B's schlep thanks:angelic:

Reactions: connie104

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you x A lot of people rely on me for various things so I just have to keep going. The boys introduced me to Baby Shark today - can't get it out of my head now. If you haven't come across it check it out on you tube.
I know there are periods when life throws everything at you, and you just have to carry on, you're doing brilliantly. Omg! Baby Shark is so funny. I bet it could become really annoying after about ten plays. I remember watching every episode of Fireman Sam with my nephew, again and again until he knew the dialogue from every one. Oh no, there goes the Baby Shark tune in my head again:arghh:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know there are periods when life throws everything at you, and you just have to carry on, you're doing brilliantly. Omg! Baby Shark is so funny. I bet it could become really annoying after about ten plays. I remember watching every episode of Fireman Sam with my nephew, again and again until he knew the dialogue from every one. Oh no, there goes the Baby Shark tune in my head again:arghh:
And now you've reminded me of the highly irritating Norman Price! (Although Baby Shark do do do do do still refuses to leave my brain)

Reactions: ianpspurs

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
To carry on with the pork pie theme....just been to Aldi where a lady recommended their pork pies to me. She said 'they're a bit naughty but at 91 I'm eating what I like now'! And yes she looked fab.
Oh and they had some halloumi chips in!!!! (two packs per customer, one saved for sister unfortunately). Looking forward to trying those. Thought about going round again with a false nose and moustache to buy some more but felt this may fall into the weird behaviour category.

Might as well put on today's food diary whilst here

Breakfast - Hi-lo toast and butter
Lunch - Ham, rollitos, olives, chicken bits and salad, strawberries and cream
Forthcoming Dinner - Beef stroganoff with veg
Snacks - Two squares of 85% lindt so far. Two 100% Hotel Chocolat buttons (as recommended)

Joy of joy. Hotel Chocolat is opening in my home town next year!!!!

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And now you've reminded me of the highly irritating Norman Price! (Although Baby Shark do do do do do still refuses to leave my brain)
Ha, ha sorry!

My nephew used to call him naughty Norman and was highly critical of his antics. Personally, I liked Elvis. Thank you very much....

showing my age:p

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Pork pies. Used to love the M&S mini ones. Totally moreish.

2.30am waking = tired and hungry all day. Rushed off feet at work and looking forward to the weekend.

Breakfast - ate part of planned lunch, bag of M&S pork crackling

Lunch - M&S Serrano ham and manchego cheese rollitos. Then went to cafe with colleague and had 2 fried eggs and bacon

Dinner - home later than expected and ditched planned steak in favour of more bacon and eggs.

Off to Pilates now - fully expect to fall asleep on the mat.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hope everyone had good days. It is starting to smell like autumn - kind of damp.
Had a lie in until 4.20 today. Food was simple (as usual) aimed at giving a few more carbs to aid sleep but not do too much damage to bg.
Breakfast: Tea
Dockey : Tea
Lunch : Avocado; Mackerel in olive oil; large salad with Parmesan shavings; Apple and walnuts and chia seeds; dressing of olive oil, ACV and psyllium husk powder
Mid Afternoon: Tea
Evening meal: Roast chicken with lemon and thyme; roast tomato and portobello mushroom;

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all - lots of plasters needed for me today @nd the usual bruises after several attempts at blood taking on both now sore arms - she got it eventually - and then ironically my flu vaccination led to unwanted bleeding I’m clearly very contrary and just hope I get the results I want in compensation! Oh well will hear in due course..
Breakfast rushed between drs and Pilates a mushroom and fried egg I had to eat I was starving and my bgs had gone down to 3.8 probably all that blood! Didn’t think Pilates would be good idea with very low bgs.....
Lunch veggie soup
Dinner beef stew with cauliflower and much needed glass of red wine followed by raspberry clafoutis with yoghurt
Hope everyone has had a good day.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening! :D

Decided to try and combine my carnivory with ketogenic macros as a trial ( a la Paleomedicina dietary guidance). Which means adjusting my meat:fat balance a bit. Not sure whether I will be able to completely give up dairy (even though I know it doesn’t really agree with me since I have a whey intolerance), but will see how I go.

So now need to eat my way through some cheese and yog and cream to clear the decks. O the hardship!

Lunch was a nice big chunk of extra mature cheddar, with butter. For the macros. :p
Much nicer than I expected. In fact, nicer than cheese and butter on any cracker I have tried. Which was surprising.

@Goonergal from a couple of things you have said, I am thinking that the Paleomedicina way of eating may interest you, too. Basically carnivore, no dairy, with an emphasis on ancestral-style meat choices. Once people have settled into it, they can gradually reintroduce some fruit (berries), veg and sometimes honey (!!!), but no sweeteners or grains, etc. Am thinking that this may be a way for me to gradually and tentatively reintroduce veg. In time. Guts permitting. :D

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh and they had some halloumi chips in!!!! (two packs per customer, one saved for sister unfortunately). Looking forward to trying those. Thought about going round again with a false nose and moustache to buy some more but felt this may fall into the weird behaviour category.

Joy of joy. Hotel Chocolat is opening in my home town next year!!!!

Great news! Halloumi chips back in Aldi, it’s a bit if a treck for me but definitely going to make the effort. I think the false moustache would be entirely forgivable.

Lucky you with a Hotel Chocolat coming to town

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all
Bit of a frustrating day food wise for me. Had arranged to meet friends for lunch at a trendy cafe so skipped breakfast ( apart from coffee and cream)
L: lots of perceived ‘healthy food’ at the cafe ( wholegrains and sourdough opennsandwiches) which gave me a problem, I picked 3 of the salads, roast cauliflower with cumin, broccoli with soy sauce and ginger, and roast aubergine with greek yogurt and pomegranate. It was all delicious but a massive plateful so quite carby in the end. Post meal bg 6.8 sadly.
D: DD creamy broccoli and leek soup with a fat head dough bagel and cream cheese. Last CCB with a decaf coffee just now.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@shelley262 how long does it usually take to get your results? I had to smile at your flu jab site bleeding after all the palaver of trying to get some out for your tests. Was a lipid panel included this time?

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@shelley262 how long does it usually take to get your results? I had to smile at your flu jab site bleeding after all the palaver of trying to get some out for your tests. Was a lipid panel included this time?
Hi will probably be next week DN seems to need to see and approve them before she presses the release button or rings me if not happy which happened with results previous times. Not sure about cholesterol - HCP didn’t know so said she was going to ask the DN will no doubt find out if get the dreaded call! It was almost funny the amount of blood pouring down my arm after the flu jab which was after the difficult to do blood draw! Could have been a comedy sketch.
If they don’t do cholesterol I’ll do private check in a week to keep an eye. All good fun hey!

Last edited:
Reactions: DJC3 and ianpspurs