What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
He’s gorgeous.

Love the DLR. Have become very adept at nabbing the front seat!

Forum was also down for me on the website - very slow this morning too.

We weren’t nifty enough to get the front - next time maybe. I was very impressed with it though.
Glad the forum issues weren’t just me.

Reactions: neithskye

Geoffno6

Just thinking about the weirdness of my diet now.
3 - 6 eggs a day,
big pizzas with extra meat, mushrooms and egg and not eating the pizza base. Little tins of fish and mussels,
pots of cream and more cream,
pork pies with the crust removed,
loads of green salad,
all accompanied by ridiculous amounts of walking (over 25,000 steps yesterday and Thursday)
What I really miss though are the 3 bowls a day of cereal and porridge.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just thinking about the weirdness of my diet now.
3 - 6 eggs a day,
big pizzas with extra meat, mushrooms and egg and not eating the pizza base. Little tins of fish and mussels,
pots of cream and more cream,
pork pies with the crust removed,
loads of green salad,
all accompanied by ridiculous amounts of walking (over 25,000 steps yesterday and Thursday)
What I really miss though are the 3 bowls a day of cereal and porridge.

I miss porridge too, and cereal was always my go to snack if I was hungry. I thought I was being healthy!

Reactions: Geoffno6

fran57

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Liars, and cheats.
Hi all, me again lol, umm what do you say a high spike is, I understand that certain foods make sugar go up, but what would you consider the amount of the spike to know that food does not suit you, hope this makes sence, TIA x

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, me again lol, umm what do you say a high spike is, I understand that certain foods make sugar go up, but what would you consider the amount of the spike to know that food does not suit you, hope this makes sence, TIA x
The word 'spike' is very vague, isn't it? :)

The general recommendation (here on the forum) for T2s is that if a meal increases your blood glucose by more than 2 mmol/l at the two hour mark, then there was more carb in your meal than your body could cope with. So then the decision is whether to reduce the portion of carb, or swap the carby food for something less carby.

Lots of people use the word 'spike' for a rise in blood glucose, but I tend to call a rise a rise, and keep the word spike for something serious, like a short sharp increase from 5 to 12 and then back down again. But there really are no rules. A rise doesn't suddenly become a spike when it exceeds a certain number.

Certainly diet controlled T2s use it in a v diff way from insulin users. Now they can have serious spikes into the 20s and 30s :(

Reactions: Geoffno6 and DJC3

fran57

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Liars, and cheats.
The word 'spike' is very vague, isn't it? :)

The general recommendation (here on the forum) for T2s is that if a meal increases your blood glucose by more than 2 mmol/l at the two hour mark, then there was more carb in your meal than your body could cope with. So then the decision is whether to reduce the portion of carb, or swap the carby food for something less carby.

Lots of people use the word 'spike' for a rise in blood glucose, but I tend to call a rise a rise, and keep the word spike for something serious, like a short sharp increase from 5 to 12 and then back down again. But there really are no rules. A rise doesn't suddenly become a spike when it exceeds a certain number.

Certainly diet controlled T2s use it in a v diff way from insulin users. Now they can have serious spikes into the 20s and 30s :(
Thank you @Brunneria I get it now, x x

Reactions: Pipp and ianpspurs

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh wow, I didn’t know there was a Keto creme brûlée !!! And you can caramelise inulin!!! Pudding is looking up :)
thehealingspoon.com/instant-pot-keto-creme-brulee

Here's the recipe. It was the fact it was 9 mins in the Instant Pot that attracted me and I carried out experiments to get the right top - inulin was without doubt the best. Even better now Hubby has refilled my blowtorch. It gives a hard burnt toffee tasting top with that satisfying creme brulee 'crack'.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh wow, I didn’t know there was a Keto creme brûlée !!! And you can caramelise inulin!!! Pudding is looking up :)
Should also add if you don't have an Instant Pot they cook equally well in a water bath in the oven. Fill a container with hot water (not boiling) that comes about half way up the sides of the ramekins and pop them in the oven at about 180C for about 30 mins. There should be a bit of wobble still in them. Take them out of the oven but let them sit in the water bath for about another 1 hour then they'll need at least a 4 hour chill in the fridge. Cover them with cling film when they head for the fridge.

fran57

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Liars, and cheats.
Evening all, hope your weekend has been good.

B..2 boiled eggs, grated cheese and chia seeds
L..few pumkin seeds, and a bit of cheese, more of a snack really
D..2 salmon fillets, Cauliflower and Broccoli rice, cheese and a knob of butter
Drinks...3 cups of tea with alpro unsweetned almond milk...and water.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Still away but will catch up on yesterday before going out. Bed 5.3 FBG 6.2. Early rise yesterday to head up for an early train to York then over to Liverpool.
B. Took it with me as weekend train food is pretty useless. M&S egg and spinach protein pot and M&S chorizo crisps. Train coffee! and water.
L. More train coffee and an M&S individual cornish cove cheese.
D. Squid with garlic mayo followed by a bunless cheese burger with onion , bacon , tomato, mushroom and amazingly hotel had haloumi chips with chilli. Seems to be the in thing. Had 2 glasses of Prosecco, black coffee and 1 baileys as I' d done a fair bit walking. Walked to the world museum earlier and visited the Egyptian section, bug section, the shop and a wander in a park before the Terracotta Warrior Exhibition at 6pm. Very impressive place.

Reactions: ziggy_w and DJC3

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Lovely autumn day, beautifully sunny when splitting gnarled tree roots and dog walking. Took a gamble on some brisket which was reduced on Friday as it had more fat than usual - last chance for this cut - main reason was to make my own Pastrami form scratch. Marinated it yesterday and used both sous vide and instant pot, First time in my life I have finished even 2 slices of brisket! Marinade was a faff - red wine, balsamic vinegar, cider vinegar, liquid smoke, bay leaves, cinnamon, nutmeg, Worcester sauce, celery, tomato. shallots.

Breakfast: Tea - lots; I was up 4 hrs before Julie (Mrs P just sounds like The Domestic)
Dockey : Tassimo Americano with cream - tired after log splitting. That was not the right thing but LC madness takes a firm grip at times
Lunch : Mashed avocado; tin mackerel in olive oil; few slices red deer and garlic salami; salmon mousse - all mixed up; ½ CCB. Should have eaten main meal then had been up 8 hrs but Julie was up 4 hrs later and wanted to eat in evening.
Mid Afternoon: Tea - 1 slice prosciutto and 4 or 5 pringles
Evening meal: Last chance for brisket; Marinated overnight, sous vide cooked; roasted sprouts; spring greens; gravy from the marinade; glass red wine. Brisket doesn't do as much for me as Ox cheek but each to their own.

Last edited:

Geoffno6

thehealingspoon.com/instant-pot-keto-creme-brulee

Here's the recipe. It was the fact it was 9 mins in the Instant Pot that attracted me and I carried out experiments to get the right top - inulin was without doubt the best. Even better now Hubby has refilled my blowtorch. It gives a hard burnt toffee tasting top with that satisfying creme brulee 'crack'.

Thanks@maglil55

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Hope you’ve all had a good weekend.

@fran57 menu looking good.

@maglil55 you are really packing it in. Sounds like a good trip. I’m glad you managed a Baileys too.
@ianpspurs the hacking of tree roots is hard work - must have done your bgs no wnd of good. It’s lovely to see you use your wife’s name. I will continue to refer to Paul as Mr C ( oops!)

B: cheese omelette. Tea with almond milk.

2mugs coffee with cream during the morning.

L: roast turkey breast with creamy cheesy sauce and green beans cooked in garlic butter. Warm lemon drizzle cake and cream for pud.

D: not hungry yet, and it’ll be too late if I wait much longer so will probably have a few olives and walnuts while watching Strictly results.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all I’ve been playing catch up all day - disturbed night as result of difficult day and then , of course, crashed and woke up late but had busy day - as I had planned coffee with friends first thing and then working on current paid project - trying to get it completed for this month so time to get other family stuff sorted during next couple of weeks. But did catch up and do what I needed to do. Reward hopefully a long walk in sunshine tomorrow.
No breakfast as too late up just coffee with friends
Lunch cheese and mushroom omlette
Dinner steak, onion, tomatoes, mushroom sauce with glass of red wine followed by LC trifle
Thank you to all of you who sent hugs and wishes to me on my loss it’s really appreciated. What a lovely community this forum is. @DJC3 loved the photo of diabetic assistance dog he looks just like Cooper my youngest sons dog!

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Hope you’ve all had a good weekend.

@fran57 menu looking good.

@maglil55 you are really packing it in. Sounds like a good trip. I’m glad you managed a Baileys too.
@ianpspurs the hacking of tree roots is hard work - must have done your bgs no wnd of good. It’s lovely to see you use your wife’s name. I will continue to refer to Paul as Mr C ( oops!)

B: cheese omelette. Tea with almond milk.

2mugs coffee with cream during the morning.

L: roast turkey breast with creamy cheesy sauce and green beans cooked in garlic butter. Warm lemon drizzle cake and cream for pud.

D: not hungry yet, and it’ll be too late if I wait much longer so will probably have a few olives and walnuts while watching Strictly results.
I really enjoyed splitting those roots - 1 stubborn human versus a stubborn inanimate object:) Really don't like how obvious it is that I am 63 and wasted my years in the wrong job for me. As I said elsewhere, I only ever use Julie - even" my wife" seems demeaning. Olives and walnuts sounds good - but strictly, really??:arghh::arghh:

Last edited:
Reactions: maglil55

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmm, let’s see...

B: a VERY disappointing scrambled egg and bacon at a cafe pre-dog walk. Usually excellent, but bacon dry and hard, and eggs still visibly white and yellow. :( hopefully a one-off failure.
L: sliced roast leg of lamb in garden centre. Mr B sprung this on me. I had been planning tinned salmon, but he was salivating for a roast dinner.

I cunningly told the server that ‘I’m on a really weird diet at the moment (true) and I can’t eat fibre (true). At all (true). So can I just have the lamb? No veg?’

And bless her, she gave me a huge portion of plain lamb.

But of course this totally messed up my fat to protein balance, and have been trying to redress the balance ever since. Cream in coffee substitute, butter on a bit of brie... still not got there. Definitely not feeling as good today as i did yesterday when i got the balance spot on.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmm, let’s see...

B: a VERY disappointing scrambled egg and bacon at a cafe pre-dog walk. Usually excellent, but bacon dry and hard, and eggs still visibly white and yellow. :( hopefully a one-off failure.
L: sliced roast leg of lamb in garden centre. Mr B sprung this on me. I had been planning tinned salmon, but he was salivating for a roast dinner.

I cunningly told the server that ‘I’m on a really weird diet at the moment (true) and I can’t eat fibre (true). At all (true). So can I just have the lamb? No veg?’

And bless her, she gave me a huge portion of plain lamb.

But of course this totally messed up my fat to protein balance, and have been trying to redress the balance ever since. Cream in coffee substitute, butter on a bit of brie... still not got there. Definitely not feeling as good today as i did yesterday when i got the balance spot on.
Is the fat to protein balance a diabetes related issue or a separate problem - sorry if that is prying just tell me to *off

Reactions: zand

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I really enjoyed splitting those roots - 1 stubborn human versus a stubborn inanimate object:) Really don't like how obvious it is that I am 63 and wasted my years in the wrong job for me. As I said elsewhere, I only ever use Julie - even" my wife" seems demeaning. Olives and walnuts sounds good - but strictly, really??:arghh::arghh:

I doubt you wasted those years - I suspect you were a brilliant teacher and there should be more like you. I remember your post when you explained that your class clubbed together to get you that Shirt. Not something they’d have done if you’d been rubbish. You should feel proud of those years.

Have to disagree about Strictly too!

Reactions: maglil55

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Stuck to carnivore again today and BG back in range.

Glorious day in the sun at Kew Gardens. Back in shorts, although waterproof shoes would have been a good idea for the very heavy dew on the grass: mesh trainers = cold, wet feet!

Lunch - picked up at Tesco on leaving the gardens. Smoked salmon canapés - essentially bits of salmon and various types of mousse. Pretty good, although a bit messy to eat on the train.

Dinner - ribeye steak with garlic butter and halloumi and bacon fries. Fries were delicious. Thanks @maglil55 for the bacon idea.

Attachments

• 9CF890BD-0520-43CE-A7F1-58C430CD6BD6.jpeg
    9CF890BD-0520-43CE-A7F1-58C430CD6BD6.jpeg
    158.9 KB · Views: 179

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 loved the photo of diabetic assistance dog he looks just like Cooper my youngest sons dog!

Yes, he reminded me of your Cooper too! Absolutely adorable.

I was thinking of you today and your eldest son as I popped into Sainsburys - they are adverstising a ‘quiet hour’ shopping for people with autism and similar conditions. I don’t know if it’s a national initiative?