What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A day of highs and lows. Lows were the cold, losing my pedometer and needlessly getting cold and wet walking the dogs. The highs - Ely market and the evening meal. At the market we purchased pheasants, partridges ( whole and breast only), wild duck, amazing cheese, beef dripping, brown prawns and best of all Octopus:):) Also found some Oppo in that Waitrose and some bargains not available in our local Waitrose.
Breakfast: Lots of tea - a 5.20 ish start will do that to a guy
Dockey : Starbucks almond milk latte with s/f caramel;
Lunch : Waitrose tea
Mid Afternoon: Walk in the cold wet rain then tea; should have looked at weather more carefully and put on waterproof overtrousers and walking shoes not trainers
Evening meal: 2 slices Serrano ham and 60 gms Cantaloupe melon; Chateaubriand steak with red wine jus; chargrilled veggies; Red wine (cheeky little Entre-Deux-M)ers); Goats cheese Gouda and Gruyere (that was amazing), walnuts, celery; Maybe Cognac or Madeira later
If I haven't thanked anyone for their wishes for our anniversary, thank you
Happy anniversary, seems like you have had an enjoyable day despite the cold x

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, absolutely freezing today, didn’t help being out trapsing through the pumpkin patch but it was a lovely day.
Coffee with cream first thing, no breakfast, not feeling hungry plus didn’t have anything suitable
Lunch at the farm, I went for the homemade soup, it was lovely, sweet potato and parsnip, Cappuccino
Almond milk cappuccino when I got home, drove through a sleet shower and a temp showing 3❄️
D beef burger, celeriac chips and a fried egg

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Happy anniversary, seems like you have had an enjoyable day despite the cold x
Thanks @jayney27 I think I bore it all with great fortitude - the day and the 34 years:angelic: Hope the motorway madness and washing didn't take the gloss off your amazing holiday . Sorry the pumpkin adventure was a little cold.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all
@ianpspurs your anniversary dinner sounds fabulous, must have cheered you up after your cold wet dog walk.

I managed to avoid being out in the wet, but did get pretty cold.

B: Mushroom and cheese omelette. Coffee and cream

L: wasn’t going to have any but felt a snack attack coming on so had 2 chicken drumsticks with a spoonful of homemade mayo. More coffee then about 20g Montezumas black then a handful of walnuts so I didn’t quite stave off the snacking.

D: DD chicken provencal ( basically a traybake with garlic, thyme, tomatoes, olives) and green salad with mayo.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Me too! A whole pot and copious amounts of cream can easily disappear in one.
I find the solution is to make sweet things I don't like and give them away! Yesterday was the Rocky Roads today stuffed rice krispie , marshmallow and peanut butter slices. I loath peanut butter but son, DIL and the grandsons love it (it's stuffed with Reeses peanut butter cups).

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A day of highs and lows. Lows were the cold, losing my pedometer and needlessly getting cold and wet walking the dogs. The highs - Ely market and the evening meal. At the market we purchased pheasants, partridges ( whole and breast only), wild duck, amazing cheese, beef dripping, brown prawns and best of all Octopus:):) Also found some Oppo in that Waitrose and some bargains not available in our local Waitrose.
Breakfast: Lots of tea - a 5.20 ish start will do that to a guy
Dockey : Starbucks almond milk latte with s/f caramel;
Lunch : Waitrose tea
Mid Afternoon: Walk in the cold wet rain then tea; should have looked at weather more carefully and put on waterproof overtrousers and walking shoes not trainers
Evening meal: 2 slices Serrano ham and 60 gms Cantaloupe melon; Chateaubriand steak with red wine jus; chargrilled veggies; Red wine (cheeky little Entre-Deux-M)ers); Goats cheese Gouda and Gruyere (that was amazing), walnuts, celery; Maybe Cognac or Madeira later
If I haven't thanked anyone for their wishes for our anniversary, thank you
Happy anniversary x

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all
@ianpspurs your anniversary dinner sounds fabulous, must have cheered you up after your cold wet dog walk.
The meal rose to adequate - once I decided to opt for the Madeira:angelic: Dog walk was my own fault for trying to punish my body for daring to show a 5.1 at 3.00:arghh:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Lidl are about to have a gin week
Only 1 week? - Julie manages 53 a year:angelic: Thanks for the good wishes - hoping to see if Lidl have a cheap (frozen) goose for Martinmas as I love the old traditions and idea of starting advent that early. Anyone know if Aldi have their wine advent calendar yet?

Last edited:
Reactions: Pipp and maglil55

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @jayney27 I think I bore it all with great fortitude - the day and the 34 years:angelic: Hope the motorway madness and washing didn't take the gloss off your amazing holiday . Sorry the pumpkin adventure was a little cold.
The motorway madness is already a distant memory, the washing mountain is diminishing as I type, my holiday will live in my memory for ever, I hope, it was wonderful, our next one is booked and nothing would keep me from spending time with my beautiful grandchildren, we were all frozen but I think I felt it the most having spent 10 days in glorious sunshine and temps in the low 30’s :)

Reactions: ziggy_w

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
B. Late night last night and underfed so fried egg, tomatoes, halloumi and a tablespoon baked beans, HiLo toast and peanut butter, black tea, black coffee.
L. Jerk fish cake and salad in cafe. Walked for 1.5 hours.
Afternoon tea at friend's home. Small scone with butter and apricot jam.
D. 2 Quorn sausages, carrot and swede mash,
peas followed by Greek yogurt and berries.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Happy Anniversary Mrs & Mrs @ianpspurs .

@maglil55 - I picked up the Lidl Christmas drinks programme booklet the other day. It "inspired" me to make a Gingerbread Gin infusion last night, then as that got going (in the SV bath) I decided to do the same with vodka.

I have filtered and bottled both now, although I haven't tasted the drinks, I did eat one lot of the infused ginger. Fabulous! Not quite gingerbread flavour, as I sort of made that up, a on the spur of the moment, so a work in progress.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Happy Anniversary Mrs & Mrs @ianpspurs .
I have filtered and bottled both now, although I haven't tasted the drinks, I did eat one lot of the infused ginger. Fabulous! Not quite gingerbread flavour, as I sort of made that up, a on the spur of the moment, so a work in progress.
Thankee kindly ma'am. I am sure you must have given the info before but is there a source to give temps and times for infusions or just guess?

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Bullet resistant coffee for breakfast.
Lidl roll with rare beef (reduced from M&S) and a bowl of homemade soup for a late lunch.
The rest of the beef in artisan sourdough for tea, with home grown cherry tomatoes.
You didn't ask about drinking, did you? {cough}

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Only 1 week? - Julie manages 53 a year:angelic: Thanks for the good wishes - hoping to see if Lidl have a cheap (frozen) goose for Martinmas as I love the old traditions and idea of starting advent that early. Anyone know if Aldi have their wine advent calendar yet?
The geese were in the freezers today. Didn't check the price though - sorry. Most of their Christmas range is in.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The geese were in the freezers today. Didn't check the price though - sorry. Most of their Christmas range is in.
Thanks. We have a proper fresh one ordered for Christmas but I am making an effort to go back to old traditions and goose at Martinmas appeals to me - idea of a feast to end the agricultural year and start Advent early.

Last edited:
Reactions: ziggy_w

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 6.1 FBG 6.4. Starting to stabilise again thankfully. Physio did a good job on my left leg and ankle yesterday. Still fairly loose but I need a couple of painkillers a day. Boys swimming starts again tomorrow but they're off on a spooky bug hunt first at a National Trust property. Time to start catching up on ironing again too. Ate too much today though.

B. 3 M&S 97% pork chipolatos, fried egg and 2 rashers crispy streaky bacon. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream.
L. After taking son shopping and doing my own more leftovers! Remains of the M&S honduran prawns, mozzarella pearls and the tuna, beans and red onion.
D. Usual cold cuts - slice each roast pork, ox tongue and Turkey with 1/2 slice ham. Sweet potato chips and coleslaw.
Also gave into a grenade bar and 5 strawberries.

Also thankfully had a good night's sleep as Inspector Rebus seems to have gone!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thankee kindly ma'am. I am sure you must have given the info before but is there a source to give temps and times for infusions or just guess?

When I did my first, I had a look around. There are quite a few sites "talking" about it.

https://recipes.anovaculinary.com/recipes/cocktails-beverages
https://www.sousvidetools.com/toolshed/the-sous-vide-christmas-drinks-guide/

The times and temperatures vary enormously, so I just sort of do my thing. To be clear, mind have all been clear spirit, and I haven't done anything involving cream, life pretendy Baileys, which would influence things.

Now, to be honest, I tend to go for 70c for between 2 and 3 hours, depending how intense I want to make the flavour. For example, my Ginammon I give 3 hours, and that is intensely flavoured, but then fr that, like most things, I'll dilute with a mixer or additional base spirit. I haven't made any large batches, but I'll likely do a couple of things for Crimbo gifts, for friends who have enjoyed their tasters. I just need to source some nice little bottles. :)

It's been a load of fun, and there's plenty alcoholic fruit in the freezer for deserts with icecream or cream.