What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
5.2 today, lowest for a while. No late night choccy. But I did have a late 'dinner'. Cheese, peanuts and 1 x thin cracker. 9pm. Went out for lunch yesterday and didn't feel peckish til late.

Reply from my DN yesterday gave me hope (i thought she was ignoring my emails). All our Birmingham info is currently being circulated around the many hcp's in my 2 surgeries. They will be discussing in a clinical meeting. Not sure when but at least it's on their agenda. Very encouraging. She is also going to put about the monthly diabetic meeting at Tesco in the monthly newsletter. I will be seeing her face to face on the 16th Nov for my 6 monthly. I will need a truck to take me there with the file I have now! Not sure I will get through the front door! Apparently when I asked for stats on how many patients have reversed their diabetes (or put into remission) I'm the ONLY ONE apart from post bariatric pts. She was my mums diabetic nurse for about 10 years before mum passed away 11 years ago! Worrying stats. I hope they have booked me a double appointment as its going to overrun!!!

I'm soon going to email info to as many local surgeries as possible. And at the same time tout for a bit of business for the monthly diabetics meeting at the local Tesco. I'm doing a talk on my journey in January and i would like more than the 10 diabetics that were at the October one there if at all possible.

Awaiting an update from DCUK as to where they are up to with adding our booklets/videos to social media.

Awaiting an update from PR team as to what the next step is. I believe they are still trying to get our stories out there and spread the word. They are only a small team and are very busy so I can't pester too much!

Have a good day. Painting for me.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all,
Hugs to those dealing with hypos.

I'm 5.4 this morning.
Good news today on the weight loss front , I've lost 4.4 lbs (2 kg) this week.
My total loss so far is 52.99 lbs (24.04 kg), almost 4 stone.

Oh my word, that makes great reading (understatement) very VERY well done.

Ziggy2017

Type of diabetes
Type 3
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes and injections
Good afternoon everyone my fasting BG was 4.7 today I’ve been a bit forgetful these last few days but that’s probably due to my brother coming home for Halloween we are having a roast chicken dinner and a chocolate cake since he is here until Thursday and then he wants Chinese for dinner tomorrow night have a good day everybody

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all,

I'm 5.4 this morning.
Amazing weight loss so hearty congratulations. Please don't be offended to share this post for space saving purposes.
@HarrisonK hope the biopsy is not too traumatic and ends up being just an over cautious GP.
@dogslife What a story - in a very sad way it is a good job your mum is oblivious to the problems
@Providence 62 please pass on my best wishes for a speedy recovery to Mr P
@OrsonKartt The more you reveal of yourself the more I fin you an exceptionally well balanced person. You have prompted me to re-read some C S Lewis over advent - something stirred in my memory re method of exit.
@Debandez Please continue to keep us posted on your communications with nurseymcnurseyface ™
Anyone feeling forgotten please remember I am a bear of very little brain.
Hang loose mother goose:)

Last edited:
Reactions: UserABC2021

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning all,

I'm 5.4 this morning.
well done chronicle cat ;)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning all,

I'm 5.4 this morning.

Congratulations, Chronicle_Cat!

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do any of you old hands know if the cold weather, change of season, etc is meaning a lot of us are getting higher than expected FBG.

Reactions: karen8967

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
I really don't know, PenguinMum but my fbs are certainly on the rise without any obvious reasons.:confused:

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hope all goes well for you, HarrisonK.
@HarrisonK hope the biopsy is not too traumatic and end up being just an over cautious GP.

Thanks all, the doctor at the hospital seems to think there's nothing to worry about. He blamed the pain in my breast on the statins "I take for my diabetes". I pointed out that I don't take statins so he then became 'baffled' regarding the pain.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Do any of you old hands know if the cold weather, change of season, etc is meaning a lot of us are getting higher than expected FBG.
"
How Does Cold Weather Affect Diabetes?
The fall and winter are enjoyable seasons thanks to all the holidays. But they come with cold weather, which can have a negative impact on those living with diabetes.

By Susan B. Sloane, BS, RPh, CDE

It’s that time of the year again. The trees are changing colors, days are getting shorter, and it’s getting colder by the day. While the fall and winter seasons do have their upsides, they are definitely a challenging time for everybody.

As the days shorten, we experience less of the shining sun, which can be a real mental challenge. The lack of sunlight can be accompanied by increased levels of stress and tiredness. But autumn and winter also present those living with diabetes with real physical challenges.

Excessive cold stresses and strains the body. This stress often causes the body to go into a flight-or-fight mode, releasing hormones such as adrenalin and cortisol. These survival hormones cause the liver to release more glucose for energy, which can result in higher-than-normal blood sugar levels.

If you’re going out for a walk or to spend some time outside, you need to remember not to stay out long in the extreme cold, especially if you have any cardiac issues or neuropathy, to avoid injury. Similarly, the cold weather can make blood thicker and more prone to clotting which can pose dangers because of increased blood pressure.

As always, it’s of utmost importance to continually check your blood glucose to ensure you are within a healthy range. In fact, higher blood sugar levels make you feel warmer in cold temperatures since the sugar content in the blood makes it harder to cool down or freeze.

Cold weather can also affect your medications and diabetes supplies. Don’t forget to protect your insulin and testing equipment from extreme cold, and keep them indoors if possible. If your monitor won’t work, try warming it up under your arm for a few minutes. Sometimes hot tea or other hot liquid in a non-insulated container packed with your supplies will prevent equipment from freezing.

Insulin needs to be kept cold, but should not be allowed to freeze. Insulin is a protein and is therefore subject to degradation in extreme temperatures. If you see an unusual blood sugar reading that cannot be explained, you may want to try using a fresh bottle of insulin, as sometimes extreme temperature changes cause potency changes in this insulin.

Blood sugar levels are dependent on factors besides the temperature, such as hydration, exercise, and the food you eat, but hydration is probably the single most important element to help us stay healthy outdoors."

https://mydario.com/cold-weather-and-diabetes/

trick60

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning all,

I'm 5.4 this morning.

That's fantastic @Chronicle_Cat, congratulations on your weight loss.