What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

geefull

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
good morning all :)

4.3 today

flippin' heck it's freezing here, -2'C just now and the car is sitting there like a block of ice :(

fortunately it's going to be a day at home I think. I've got a couple of LC recipes I want to try before rolling them out for Christmas :)

Hope your day is going well :)

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all and well done @rhubarb73 on your tweet and weight loss. You look great.

6.2 today which is a bit disappointing, but nothing can ruin my mood - I’m going to see my 6yo granddaughter in her nativity play today. I can’t think of a single thing I’d rather be doing, she’s playing an angel ( some sort of joke by her teacher?) and she is so excited. She’s been practicing her 1 line all week. Must remember to take lots of tissues.
enjoy djc3 xx

Reactions: Geoffno6 and DJC3

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
6.0 today so getting there. A few celebrations over the past 2 weeks has seen it go into the 6s. Got another meal out tonight but the 3 courses I had at this restaurant last time kept me in the 5s after 2 (and 3) hours. I'm not worried....plus I'm designated driver :)

More good news today. I had this email from the extremely supportive PM at my surgery:

I have shared the piece about your weight loss that xxxx put together for you- and explained to both the CCG and the council that you would be interested in doing talks for Diabetics and how they can help themselves by losing weight etc. There is currently an initiative to signpost patients to what we are calling ‘social prescribing’ – things other than medication which will help them improve their lifestyles and their health.

Everyone is interested in working with you to put you in touch with patients and the council are interested in helping you to find a space to do that in- did you have any ideas of area/size of room etc. you would like. From the surgery we would offer some facilitation support, I will contact the PMs at other surgeries and ask if they want to invite people etc. when we have a plan. We will also speak to the CCG communications lead when he is back from leave to see what suggestions he has. At both Medical Centres - we could also supply refreshments (drinks- not biscuits which defeats the object!!) as well as a staff member- in the hope that you will also be happy to help us- by letting people know what surgery PPG you are representing- just a nice bit of marketing for us as a surgery- thanks

AND MY REPLY (THIS IS UNCHARTERED TERRITORY FOR ME, BUT I WILL GIVE IT MY BEST SHOT):

Hi xxxx I'm back home now and able to reply.

I love the sound of social prescribing. I had a thought, when someone is diagnosed as t2d a non medical referral kind of thing for a one to one chat with a fellow diabetic would be amazing (if pt wants one of course). You feel very alone when you have been diagnosed. Although xxxxxx is an excellent DN I did feel that after the initial appointment diagnosing me I just has leaflets to support me (no reflection on xxxxxx it's just how it is). There was so much to read. I was so upset, devastated to be honest knowing what my mum went through, and had I been offered a one to one with a diabetic, especially one that has 'reversed' the condition i know I would not have gone through weeks of uncertainty and emotional turmoil. I'm more than willing to help. It would be my pleasure. I might also be able to help with pts battling weight problems, not just diabetics. Just to understand how your body reacts to the food you put into it. What works well for losing weight and what doesn't. And why. It helps so much when you understand that.

I am unaccustomed to giving talks but I'm going to give it my best shot. I am passionate about the cause and this will hopefully give me the confidence to do this. If i help just one person I would be over the moon. I can make my talk in January an experimental one. It's going to be about my journey, my diabetes 'reversal' and weight loss. I'm going to prepare some handouts and some notes (My memory isn't what it used to be). I would obviously run them past you first. The low carb high healthy fat worked for me. Fat doesn't make you fat as people assume. When you cut down on carbs your body uses fat for its energy. Lots of research out there proving Ancel Keys theory wrong but I certainly don't want to go against the Drs advice to their pts, especially if they have other health issues going on. But I'm happy to say that this worked for me, but it might not suit everyone. And ask them to check with their gp before starting. Which does seem ridiculous as they may be moving from a completely unhealthy way of eating that they didn't have to ask the Dr about!!!

I don't know how much interest there will be. I feel many pts might just be of the mindset ''let me just take the tablets and eat what I like' which usually means it becomes progressive and they will require more and more meds to deal with the condition. I will tell as many people about my journey as want to listen. I was off again this morning, to my plumber who was servicing my boiler!!! Nobody escapes .

Great news that other people want to work with me including the council (they might think otherwise when they hear what I have to say about their roadworks in town .). It all feels so positive. When there is so much negativity out there surrounding diabetes and obesity I can put a positive side to it. It's not the end of the world when you are diagnosed. Just the start of a journey that can, as it did for me, become a blessing in disguise. I have never felt better. Obviously if it can be prevented that's so much better for the pt. Catching them before they get to pre diabetic stage is paramount and again maybe a chat with a diabetic may help.

I laughed at the biscuits comment. . there are some really nice low carb nibbles I could sort. Olives, nuts, little bits of cheese, and actually chocolate isn't off limits it's just that it would be a little bit of 85% choc. I could do low carb lemon drizzle cake (never bake but I feel things might be changing soon).

Its a work in progress. We can mould it as we go along. I'm yours to use. I've already been singing your praises on diabetes.co.uk saying how very supportive you have been. I'm all for marketing. Credit where credit is due too.

I have made good friends with many diabetics along the way including type 1s which is in another league altogether. Much more of a daily battle. So many are there ready and willing to help me. Apart from one lady, they aren't local but are ready to support me in any way they can. Most have 'reversed' their diabetes and in the same way as me. It isn't the only way, LCHF, but it certainly works for the majority of t2d and also helps t1d control their blood sugars. And needless to say, lots of weight has been lost. DCUK was a life saver for me. Literally.

Thanks again

Debra

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wish there were something like that where I live. But come to think of it there would be all sorts of HIPAA regulations as to patients' privacy. If it were done it probably couldn't be done through a doctor's office. It would have to be done through one of those online "meet-up" things. I think there are some of those in some areas but not in mine.

I had to Google this to see what HIPAA actually stands for; it's one of those acronyms that just get named but never really explained unless you read the very fine print!
HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996) provides data privacy and security provisions for safeguarding medical information.

When our father was really sick my sister and I couldn't even see his medical records without getting his signed permission even though his doctor knew me.

I think it's great that you can do this and that your surgery can and will support it.

Reactions: ziggy_w

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Quote for today
FB_IMG_1544025374430.jpg

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
6.0 today so getting there. A few celebrations over the past 2 weeks has seen it go into the 6s. Got another meal out tonight but the 3 courses I had at this restaurant last time kept me in the 5s after 2 (and 3) hours. I'm not worried....plus I'm designated driver :)

More good news today. I had this email from the extremely supportive PM at my surgery:

I have shared the piece about your weight loss that xxxx put together for you- and explained to both the CCG and the council that you would be interested in doing talks for Diabetics and how they can help themselves by losing weight etc. There is currently an initiative to signpost patients to what we are calling ‘social prescribing’ – things other than medication which will help them improve their lifestyles and their health.

Everyone is interested in working with you to put you in touch with patients and the council are interested in helping you to find a space to do that in- did you have any ideas of area/size of room etc. you would like. From the surgery we would offer some facilitation support, I will contact the PMs at other surgeries and ask if they want to invite people etc. when we have a plan. We will also speak to the CCG communications lead when he is back from leave to see what suggestions he has. At both Medical Centres - we could also supply refreshments (drinks- not biscuits which defeats the object!!) as well as a staff member- in the hope that you will also be happy to help us- by letting people know what surgery PPG you are representing- just a nice bit of marketing for us as a surgery- thanks

AND MY REPLY (THIS IS UNCHARTERED TERRITORY FOR ME, BUT I WILL GIVE IT MY BEST SHOT):

I love the sound of social prescribing. I had a thought, when someone is diagnosed as t2d a non medical referral kind of thing for a one to one chat with a fellow diabetic would be amazing (if pt wants one of course). You feel very alone when you have been diagnosed. Although xxxxxx is an excellent DN I did feel that after the initial appointment diagnosing me I just has leaflets to support me (no reflection on xxxxxx it's just how it is). There was so much to read. I was so upset, devastated to be honest knowing what my mum went through, and had I been offered a one to one with a diabetic, especially one that has 'reversed' the condition i know I would not have gone through weeks of uncertainty and emotional turmoil. I'm more than willing to help. It would be my pleasure. I might also be able to help with pts battling weight problems, not just diabetics. Just to understand how your body reacts to the food you put into it. What works well for losing weight and what doesn't. And why. It helps so much when you understand that.

I am unaccustomed to giving talks but I'm going to give it my best shot. I am passionate about the cause and this will hopefully give me the confidence to do this. If i help just one person I would be over the moon. I can make my talk in January an experimental one. It's going to be about my journey, my diabetes 'reversal' and weight loss. I'm going to prepare some handouts and some notes (My memory isn't what it used to be). I would obviously run them past you first. The low carb high healthy fat worked for me. Fat doesn't make you fat as people assume. When you cut down on carbs your body uses fat for its energy. Lots of research out there proving Ancel Keys theory wrong but I certainly don't want to go against the Drs advice to their pts, especially if they have other health issues going on. But I'm happy to say that this worked for me, but it might not suit everyone. And ask them to check with their gp before starting. Which does seem ridiculous as they may be moving from a completely unhealthy way of eating that they didn't have to ask the Dr about!!!

I don't know how much interest there will be. I feel many pts might just be of the mindset ''let me just take the tablets and eat what I like' which usually means it becomes progressive and they will require more and more meds to deal with the condition. I will tell as many people about my journey as want to listen. I was off again this morning, to my plumber who was servicing my boiler!!! Nobody escapes .

Great news that other people want to work with me including the council (they might think otherwise when they hear what I have to say about their roadworks in town .). It all feels so positive. When there is so much negativity out there surrounding diabetes and obesity I can put a positive side to it. It's not the end of the world when you are diagnosed. Just the start of a journey that can, as it did for me, become a blessing in disguise. I have never felt better. Obviously if it can be prevented that's so much better for the pt. Catching them before they get to pre diabetic stage is paramount and again maybe a chat with a diabetic may help.

I laughed at the biscuits comment. . there are some really nice low carb nibbles I could sort. Olives, nuts, little bits of cheese, and actually chocolate isn't off limits it's just that it would be a little bit of 85% choc. I could do low carb lemon drizzle cake (never bake but I feel things might be changing soon).

Its a work in progress. We can mould it as we go along. I'm yours to use. I've already been singing your praises on diabetes.co.uk saying how very supportive you have been. I'm all for marketing. Credit where credit is due too.

I have made good friends with many diabetics along the way including type 1s which is in another league altogether. Much more of a daily battle. So many are there ready and willing to help me. Apart from one lady, they aren't local but are ready to support me in any way they can. Most have 'reversed' their diabetes and in the same way as me. It isn't the only way, LCHF, but it certainly works for the majority of t2d and also helps t1d control their blood sugars. And needless to say, lots of weight has been lost. DCUK was a life saver for me. Literally.

Thanks again

Debra
Brilliant you are an inspiration

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

That's wonderful, I'm sure you will make a real difference in spreading the word about how beneficial low carb eating is. I smiled when I saw the reference to "no biscuits", at least they have the awareness some organizations lack :banghead: ...as long as they aren't serving fruit juice (diabetes UK.....) :facepalm:

As well, it will be so helpful for newly diagnosed people to have a chance to talk to someone who has been through it before. Too many people don't know anyone who has "been there".

(I was luckier than most - my best friend was diagnosed about a year and half before me. I saw her struggle with the Canadian Diabetes' plate method (like your Eatwell plate) for almost a year and then the sudden turn and normal levels after she switched to low carb eating.)

M

Member496333

Thanks again

Debra

Debra, you are a hero. If we keep getting the jabs in then eventually we can K.O. the absurd diabetes treatment orthodoxy.

Keep it up! :D

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Great timing for me and a great message that's very edifying for me today. I hate it when I don't have the courage to resist being pushed into something someone else wants me to do. Resisting makes me feel guilty, but I don't like it when someone at first seems so nice and sweet and "helpful" and then suddenly shows their fangs when you try to at least have some share in controlling the plan or situation.
I would make a horrid horse -- the harder someone nudges me the deeper I plant my feet.

So that is my convoluted way of saying that Karen's quote helped me stop and consider if going along with this fanged person would be a good journey towards whatever tomorrow.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Great timing for me and a great message that's very edifying for me today. I hate it when I don't have the courage to resist being pushed into something someone else wants me to do. Resisting makes me feel guilty, but I don't like it when someone at first seems so nice and sweet and "helpful" and then suddenly shows their fangs when you try to at least have some share in controlling the plan or situation.
I would make a horrid horse -- the harder someone nudges me the deeper I plant my feet.

So that is my convoluted way of saying that Karen's quote helped me stop and consider if going along with this fanged person would be a good journey towards whatever tomorrow.
Im glad it helped you saskia i dont rember if i mentioned i went through some bad times a few years ago and my friend sent me a little quote everyday and it really did help xx

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
FBG 9.6 this morning. A hour later I was sick as a dog! I think it's norovirus. Not funny at all.

Reactions: Freema

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Im glad it helped you saskia i dont rember if i mentioned i went through some bad times a few years ago and my friend sent me a little quote everyday and it really did help xx

Thanks for passing the idea on to us.

@DJC3 thanks for sharing that lovely story.

@Providence 62 get thee to a doctor. That sounds scary.