What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi there - what sort of proportion fruit/gin ratio did you use? Plum gin sounds delicious.

It's 800g of plums, 200g of sugar substitute, 700ml gin.
I used Aldi gin. I pour a small amount over a lot of ice and sip it slowly to make it last. It's yummy and one of the few alcoholic drinks I have.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No breakfast. Was out early to hairdressers then gym. Probably should have done gym first, but I live and learn. Had mid morning coffee with cream after gym.
Lunch: bacon, egg, mushrooms and decaff black coffee
Didn't feel like dinner, but had peppermint tea and Greek yogurt for supper, with a few walnuts.
Drank lots of water, think that was needed after gym and bacon.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another cold soggy day. Had enough of it.

Same food as yesterday. Beef mince and oomi bolognese, awful soup and a bit less choc ;)

We’ve decided to eat out of the freezer for a few days, to clear a freezer drawer or two. Gonna be a cross between exploring a cave system and an archaeological dig. I’ve already been ticked off for not planning tomorrow’s defrost properly :rolleyes:. I mean, what’s to worry about? Defrost it. Identify it. Eat it. Hope to discover more of it in the next strata down... ;)

Anyway, mr B is in MY bad books :shifty: he put my cast iron skillet in the dishwasher. Now I have to start the seasoning again. From scratch. :meh:

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

@DJC3 -- I have to agree with the others -- the lamb breast roast really does sound delicious.

Today ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol.

Lunch: Two scrambled eggs with cheese. Some roasted vegetables (eggplant, mushrooms, bellpepper, zucchini), a quarter of a low-carb flatbread with goat cream cheese and smoked salmon.

Snack: Four squares of 95% chocolate, a Wiener sausage, a chunk of cheese.

Dinner: Half a serving of lamb, three tablespoons of lupin bean-hummus and three tablespoons of guacamole. A glass of red wine.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's 800g of plums, 200g of sugar substitute, 700ml gin.
I used Aldi gin. I pour a small amount over a lot of ice and sip it slowly to make it last. It's yummy and one of the few alcoholic drinks I have.

I hate to be a pedant, but could you share your technique, and how much your finished batch makes?

My feeling is that I would vacuum bag the ingredients, the drop them into the sous vide for maybe 3 hours, then refrigerate a day, before re-bottling, saving the fruit for on top of decent ice cream.

The other fruits I have saved after infusions (rhubarb, raspberries, cherries pineapple, ginger) have been absolutely delicious. Indeed I saved some infused cherries and raspberries in the freezer for the coming weeks. For all but the rhubarb, I haven't added sweetener, as I have found the fruity sweetness enough, but I can see how the sweeter option would appeal to many.

When I make an infusion, because it takes such a short time (just a few hours, if I accelerate the process in the water bath) I make very small batches - usually no more than around 300-350ml.

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I hate to be a pedant, but could you share your technique, and how much your finished batch makes?

My feeling is that I would vacuum bag the ingredients, the drop them into the sous vide for maybe 3 hours, then refrigerate a day, before re-bottling, saving the fruit for on top of decent ice cream.

The other fruits I have saved after infusions (rhubarb, raspberries, cherries pineapple, ginger) have been absolutely delicious. Indeed I saved some infused cherries and raspberries in the freezer for the coming weeks. For all but the rhubarb, I haven't added sweetener, as I have found the fruity sweetness enough, but I can see how the sweeter option would appeal to many.

When I make an infusion, because it takes such a short time (just a few hours, if I accelerate the process in the water bath) I make very small batches - usually no more than around 300-350ml.
No problem,

It makes about two kilner bottles, so about 500ml each. I use Erythritol as it's like for like quantities against sugar. It is syrupy which is why I serve it over lots of ice (but I've never liked fizzy drinks so I wouldn't use tonic anyway)

Method
Wash plums and pierce all over (like a jacket potato) with a sharp knife to allow the flavour to infuse
Put plums in a large, or two medium kilners (or similar), add sugar and gin. Shake, making sure jar is well sealed;).
Store in dark, cool place removing to shake every few days until Erythritol dissolves fully.
Store for three months, strain through very fine sieve, decant into bottles of choice.

I used the gin soaked plums to make a coulis. My gin this year is a fantastic dark purple due to the lovely dark skins.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No problem,

It makes about two kilner bottles, so about 500ml each. I use Erythritol as it's like for like quantities against sugar. It is syrupy which is why I serve it over lots of ice (but I've never liked fizzy drinks so I wouldn't use tonic anyway)

Method
Wash plums and pierce all over (like a jacket potato) with a sharp knife to allow the flavour to infuse
Put plums in a large, or two medium kilners (or similar), add sugar and gin. Shake, making sure jar is well sealed;).
Store in dark, cool place removing to shake every few days until Erythritol dissolves fully.
Store for three months, strain through very fine sieve, decant into bottles of choice.

I used the gin soaked plums to make a coulis. My gin this year is a fantastic dark purple due to the lovely dark skins.

Oooooh. Thanks for that.

My MrB has some lovely dark plums at the moment, which he lamented yesterday he may struggle to eat before the go over. I may have to help him out with that.

If I buy him some nice looking apricots all will be forgiven anyway. :)

Lainlainylain

Howdy all...am daydreaming about roast lamb...one of the best kitchen smells there is!

It's dark and grey and rainy...I love it!

So far today, one black coffee, one coffee with cream, one litre of water and soon to be tucking into some bacon and eggs for lunch.
Yesterday evening I couldn't be bothered preparing loads of veggies but steamed a load of brussel sprouts, had them with butter on with some smoked mackerel...man it was good! Trying to eat well on a really tight budget at the moment, had to leave my job in April as anxiety was getting to epic proportions and been trying to survive on a pittance since then...but reckon if I leave the garbage in the supermarket and eat whole foods it will balance out.
I sometimes buy junk food 'for my daughter' and end up eating it all before she even gets home from school...dunno who I've been trying to kid, I don't want her eating it either.

Hope you all have a healthy day

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another cold soggy day. Had enough of it.

Same food as yesterday. Beef mince and oomi bolognese, awful soup and a bit less choc ;)

We’ve decided to eat out of the freezer for a few days, to clear a freezer drawer or two. Gonna be a cross between exploring a cave system and an archaeological dig. I’ve already been ticked off for not planning tomorrow’s defrost properly :rolleyes:. I mean, what’s to worry about? Defrost it. Identify it. Eat it. Hope to discover more of it in the next strata down... ;)

Anyway, mr B is in MY bad books :shifty: he put my cast iron skillet in the dishwasher. Now I have to start the seasoning again. From scratch. :meh:

I feel your pain re the dishwasher faux pas. A helpful family member here ruined my favourite wooden handled carving knife by doing that and I now buy wooden spoons by the gross ( almost) in Wilko as they get bunged in there so often and get ruined.

Reactions: maglil55

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Howdy all...am daydreaming about roast lamb...one of the best kitchen smells there is!

It's dark and grey and rainy...I love it!

So far today, one black coffee, one coffee with cream, one litre of water and soon to be tucking into some bacon and eggs for lunch.
Yesterday evening I couldn't be bothered preparing loads of veggies but steamed a load of brussel sprouts, had them with butter on with some smoked mackerel...man it was good! Trying to eat well on a really tight budget at the moment, had to leave my job in April as anxiety was getting to epic proportions and been trying to survive on a pittance since then...but reckon if I leave the garbage in the supermarket and eat whole foods it will balance out.
I sometimes buy junk food 'for my daughter' and end up eating it all before she even gets home from school...dunno who I've been trying to kid, I don't want her eating it either.

Hope you all have a healthy day

I don’t know if you have a Co op near you? There is a small one in my village and they are the best supermarket Ive come accross for cutting prices on fresh stuff on it’s sell by date. Today I’ve picked up a pack of 2 portobello mushrooms for 30p, a pint of double cream for 70p and a pack of sprouts also 70p. I look for those orange labels before deciding what to cook that day quite often. ( sprouts in a creamy mushroom sauce anyone?)

I hope your anxiety issues improve as you start to regain control of things though.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oooooh. Thanks for that.

My MrB has some lovely dark plums at the moment, which he lamented yesterday he may struggle to eat before the go over. I may have to help him out with that.

If I buy him some nice looking apricots all will be forgiven anyway. :)
His loss is your gain!:angelic:

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello all, the weekend is here!

Christmas tree buying tomorrow, followed by a little tot of the plum gin (see above hic!)

Breakfast - Hi-lo toast and butter. Livlife arrived today so will try that tomorrow.
Lunch - Bresaola, olives, cucumber and tomatoes. Strawberries, cream and a spoonful of chocolate granola. Montezuma's chocolate.
Dinner - Homemade lamb and mushroom casserole with sprouts, carrots and petit pois.
Snacks - Lots of nuts.

Anyone else really hungry at the moment? Is it the weather???

ps. Just back from Doctors with latest results
HBa1C - 43 mmol/mol from 46 mmol/ mol in September
Triglycerides - 1.2mmol from 1.4 mmol
Cholesterol - 5.4 mmol/l. HDL 'good' cholesterol 3.4mmol/l. Which means that the ratio is 1.59mmol/l (a healthy ratio should be under 4.00mmol/l)......I'm boring myself!

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all
Breakfast - protein peanut & chocolate bar
Mid morning - 2 cups of tea
No lunch
Late afternoon - large coffee and 2 chunks cheese
Dinner - I’m home alone so apart from feeling a little lost I’m also using things about to go out of date so currently cooking 3 pork suausages, some butternut squash crinkle chips and then roasted peppers, courgettes and cherry tomatoes

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast: - 2 x 1.5 pints Dilmah English breakfast tea with almond milk (breakfast with our firstborn who stayed overnight)
Dockey : Tea
Lunch : 2 x each low carb vanilla crescent and star - 0.5 gms carb each
Afternoon: Coffee with cream
Evening meal: Cheese sandwich - 2 slices Black seeded bread max 4 gms carb; tea - still peckish so small piece Stilton and some smoked salmon trimmings

Last edited:

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Coffee for breakfast
Greek yogurt, walnuts, coffee for lunch
Salmon steak, cream cheese and chives, broccoli and cauliflower, for dinner, with mineral water and filtered water throughout the day.

Trying, unsuccessfully so far, to get into my online medical record to view latest HbA1c results. Will probably have to wait until surgery opens after weekend for them to sort latest in long line of computer glitches, and if I want an appointment will likely be in new year. Just as well to avoid germs abounding round the tiny waiting room, I guess.

Lainlainylain

I don’t know if you have a Co op near you? There is a small one in my village and they are the best supermarket Ive come accross for cutting prices on fresh stuff on it’s sell by date. Today I’ve picked up a pack of 2 portobello mushrooms for 30p, a pint of double cream for 70p and a pack of sprouts also 70p. I look for those orange labels before deciding what to cook that day quite often. ( sprouts in a creamy mushroom sauce anyone?)

I hope your anxiety issues improve as you start to regain control of things though.
Hi thank you...yes we do have one, I’ve never managed to get there to coincide with the reduced prices yet but will make it a priority. I love a bargain!

Almost bought some biscuits ‘for my daughter ‘ and picked them up/put them down a few times before i came to my senses! Happy to say she now likes dark chocolate and is content with a couple of squares so we can both share some quiet nibbling in front of the tv..

Dinner tonight was very yummy. Meatballs in tomato sauce on steamed kale with a generous amount of parmesan followed by a few berries, sprinkle of toasted coconut and almond flakes with cream and greek yogurt.

Love this forum, made me realise I’ve not been taking things seriously enough and just knowing it’s common to freak out with food in the beginning has calmed me down...2nd day no carb binges...prob rambling too much in the wrong place!

Have a cosy evening all

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: smoked salmon 1/2 avocado and a scrambled egg.
L: 2 portobello mushrooms stuffed with spinach, feta, walnuts and a crumbled streaky bacon rasher. Followed by lazy mousse.
D: Ox cheek! Finally got round to it! And it was tender and delicious as you all said it would be. Sauteed cabbage and sprouts with it and currently sharing a bottle of red wine.
Staying round eldest daughter’s tonight- she loved the ox cheek too.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch was works Xmas do at an Indian restaurant, first time for me eating at an Indian since diagnosis. I had the house curried chicken described as chicken in a curried cream and coconut sauce, I had it with red cabbage coleslaw which had a couple of sultanas in it. I think I got away with it :joyful: , 5.2 before and 5.7 afterwards, very happy with that!
Mid afternoon: peach chia pudding and black coffee.
Dinner: mushroom paté on cheese melts with cauliflower, broccoli, pork scratchings and coleslaw followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

Edited for typo

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch was works Xmas do at an Indian restaurant, first time for me eating at an Indian since diagnosis. I had the house curried chicken described as chicken in a curried cream and coconut sauce, I had it with red cabbage coleslaw which had a couple of saltanas in it. I think I got away with it :joyful: , 5.2 before and 5.7 afterwards, very happy with that!
Mid afternoon: peach chia pudding and black coffee.
Dinner: mushroom paté on cheese melts with cauliflower, broccoli, pork scratchings and coleslaw followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

Great result with the curry lunch!