ROSIE1988

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Anyone know how many carbs would be in my cheese sauce? I make it with 2 tablespoons cornflour and 1 pint milk etc. I am on moderate low carb. Thank you . Ps is there another flour I could use?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
FA418B69-13D8-402C-AC8B-CB2FF5505FC8.jpeg

Anyone know how many carbs would be in my cheese sauce? I make it with 2 tablespoons cornflour and 1 pint milk etc. I am on moderate low carb. Thank you . Ps is there another flour I could use?

Depends what ‘etc.’is? But here are the counts for milk and cornflour. Taken from Nutracheck app, very useful if you cook from scratch.

Reactions: ROSIE1988

ROSIE1988

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there - thanks
Sorry - I use bog dollop of butter, cornflour and pint of semi skinned milk and loads of cheese.
Mine will be higher carb then so is there another flour I could use?
Thanks x

ROSIE1988

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Also I am not that keen on eggs in the morning so can I have four sausages and tomatoes? Or natural yoghurt?

And have just found out I detest anything to do with Coconuts! So oil is out so shall I just use Butter?

gettingamoveon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there - thanks
Sorry - I use bog dollop of butter, cornflour and pint of semi skinned milk and loads of cheese.
Mine will be higher carb then so is there another flour I could use?
Thanks x

It's not a creamy cheese sauce and might not work for all purposes, but I sometimes fry a couple of pork chops in a butter/olive oil mix then add directly to the pan: a spoonful of Dijon mustard, a big grate of cheese, crushed garlic, salt and pepper, chili flakes, fresh chopped coriander. Then add freshly boiled water and stir until smooth - no milk, flour or thickener needed. I make enough to eat it all in a bowl. This is very flavoursome and avoids the carbs. I can also make this in 5 or 10 minutes, which suits me sometimes.

New2ThisType2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks to Rachox I was introduced to the Coconut Porridge breakfast and love it. I have recently been trying to learn all about NetCarbs and use, for now the app Cronometer as I am not yet ready to learn a new app.

Earlier I added it to the app and as far as I can see, although new to this, I believe I did it correctly. But under Carbohydrates at the very bottom of the screenshot I just took, it says that this is only 1.26g Net Carbs.

That cant be correct, right?

https://imgur.com/QEwK6Bp

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks to Rachox I was introduced to the Coconut Porridge breakfast and love it. I have recently been trying to learn all about NetCarbs and use, for now the app Cronometer as I am not yet ready to learn a new app.

Earlier I added it to the app and as far as I can see, although new to this, I believe I did it correctly. But under Carbohydrates at the very bottom of the screenshot I just took, it says that this is only 1.26g Net Carbs.

That cant be correct, right?

https://imgur.com/QEwK6Bp
Glad you enjoy the low carb coconut porridge! I’ve never actually worked out the carb count! I’ve just used the count that came with the recipe, 4g net carbs per serving.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hi, i need recipes low carb for my dauther dt1....dinners !!1

Have you looked on the Diet Doctor website? Loads of good stuff on there and all with carbs per portion already worked out.

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I noticed in the first message, it was stated that Americans count carbs differently than Brits.

I'm curious about this difference. I think I know what it but want to be sure.

Is the difference that Brits and the EU subtract the fibre (and give the number after the fibre is subtracted, the net carbs.) and whereas Americans just give the number of carbs, assuming you will subtract the fibre yourself to calculate the number of net carbs? Can someone confirm this?

Canadian labelling and recipes are similar to American (not using net carbs, you have to subtract the fibre yourself) although with the close proximity, we use many US recipes.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Is the difference that Brits and the EU subtract the fibre (and give the number after the fibre is subtracted, the net carbs.) and whereas Americans just give the number of carbs, assuming you will subtract the fibre yourself to calculate the number of net carbs? Can someone confirm this?
Hey @Chronicle_Cat (in the Hat?) I got a response to exactly that question over on another thread. Yes, you are right. The American nutrition label lists as a category "total carbohydrates", and then in indented form, fiber and sugars. The total is not necessarily the total carbs. So we do the math ourselves the opposite direction that everybody else does. Here in US, when we say "low carb", I believe we mean "low total carbs", unless we specify "low net carbs", which is "low glycemic index".
I think. :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Reactions: Prem51

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
I feel awful. I can't find the brownie recipe with pumpkin in it even on a search, and cannot remember whose post on what thread it was. I know that @Rachox asked for a repost; has that happened? I do feel stoopid asking but I really want to see if my husband will accept those as brownies! (no question about myself).

Is it the one from love in the oven, only using almond flour and erythritol and better chocolate instead of what she's used there? I seem to remember cacao powder in the ingredients, though.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A5D294EE-D759-4395-80A2-A1A906F4EE8E.jpeg
I feel awful. I can't find the brownie recipe with pumpkin in it even on a search, and cannot remember whose post on what thread it was. I know that @Rachox asked for a repost; has that happened? I do feel stoopid asking but I really want to see if my husband will accept those as brownies! (no question about myself).

Is it the one from love in the oven, only using almond flour and erythritol and better chocolate instead of what she's used there? I seem to remember cacao powder in the ingredients, though.

Here it is, this thread moves on so quickly doesn’t it?
Edit, not the pumpkin one, but the one I asked for.

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey @Chronicle_Cat (in the Hat?) I got a response to exactly that question over on another thread. Yes, you are right. The American nutrition label lists as a category "total carbohydrates", and then in indented form, fiber and sugars. The total is not necessarily the total carbs. So we do the math ourselves the opposite direction that everybody else does. Here in US, when we say "low carb", I believe we mean "low total carbs", unless we specify "low net carbs", which is "low glycemic index".
I think. :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Yes, it's the same here in Canada - our labels aren't exactly like yours but very similar. Yes, I like Cat in the Hat (former children's librarian and owner of 3 kitties).

Reactions: zauberflote

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Redo of @daniT1D ‘s flax bread (edit to add photo, make the daniT1D a tag, and re-edit to mention edit to add photo cos I forgot in the first edit...)
Nutty Spiced Flax Bread

4 large egg whites
1/2 cup EVOO
1/2 cup liquid (I used soy milk)+ extra
~3/8 cup chia seeds, made into pudding with whatever you want
Some roasted pumpkin seeds, coarsely ground to suit
1 1/2 cups flax meal
3/4 cup almond flour
1 tbsp baking powder
Cinnamon, cloves, allspice, ginger, nutmeg
Salt if you must

Whisk egg whites, oil,1/2 cup liquid quite well. Break up chia pudding if you let it set all day as I did . Mix in well with whisk. Add dry ingredients, mix, add liquid if it’s too dry, mix etc. Bake in a parchment-lined regular loaf pan (mine is pyrex) at about 375F for... over an hour, until silver knife inserted in middle comes out “not very gooey”. Sorry I forgot to keep track of how my time was going, it took lots of resets on the timer.
Remove from pan and cool locked up from counter-cruising cats. Serves X, depending on how you slice it.
I have an Instagram worthy photo here on my phone but can’t see where to add it...
I found that the 1/8 cup of cinnamon, my base spice, is entirely too little, and I can’t taste the others at all. Be very generous!
I did have extra batter, so I baked it in the pyrex custard cup I’d made it in. Adjust baking time accordingly. Or, I could have split it up into two loaf pans- but the others have meatloaf for hubby in them! :hilarious:
Enjoy! Fiddle with it. Add more seeds/nuts. This would be good with broth for liquid, and herbs instead of spices: think turkey stuffing.
IMG_7117.jpg

Last edited:

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
so does flax meal make ok gravy? Anybody have a gravy recipe and/or white sauce recipe? I suppose the best thing is to try! :D

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
hate to have a string of replies to myself, but I figure one more edit on the original post would set off a Red Alert...
So, "the custard cup I made it in" should read, "the custard cup I'd made the chia pudding in". Somewhere between 8 and 12 ounces, I think is its size.