What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

timgil

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Still waiting for my doctors appointment (28th Dec for a full 10 mins!) and to be "formally diagnosed", although I did spend 4 hours in A&E two weeks ago with suspected DKA (which proved not to be the case!), and considering what was suspected I didn't even have to wait beyond triage, just spent the time sitting chatting to the nurses for hours while they monitored me. So Basically uncontrolled atm, 14.0 this morning's fasting reading, generally between 13.0 and 19 most days. Was 27.9 when I went to A&E!

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
system
These poor people still put their faith and health in the NHS who ate letting them down and in fact slowly killing them.
I am so thankful I could not get a place on the DESMOND course until several months after my diagnosis...I waited 7 months while waiting I read & researched my diabetes...found my way to this & other forums where I could swop ideas & advice with other T2's...found the wonderful books by Gretchen Becker...had I attended the course immediately I could well be in the same position as those you refer to above D&D...I knew a fair amount about my diabetes & low carbing before I went on the course...I hadn't quite put all the pieces together (still learning all the time) but I felt I had a good idea of what worked for me so you can imagine my horror when I heard the advice the DESMOND course dished out...none of which I have followed...there are many who follow advice from their GP's & DSN's religiously...after all they should know shouldn't they?...they wouldn't give bad or inadequate advice which could put patients at risk of complications...my own GP said honestly he knew little about T2 after I challenged him when he tried to increase my medication at my first review. (to the maximum amount)...the DSN who arrived just towards the end of my first diabetic year said I was obsessive for testing my BG...those are not views I concur with at all...until we have a good shake up of diabetic services for T2's we have to look to our own resources to halt any progression with our conditions...those who have been 'caught' in the vagaries of NHS T2 diabetic services to their disadvantage have my sympathy & any I could reach with a different message would have my support.

Last edited:

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Still waiting for my doctors appointment (28th Dec for a full 10 mins!) and to be "formally diagnosed", although I did spend 4 hours in A&E two weeks ago with suspected DKA (which proved not to be the case!), and considering what was suspected I didn't even have to wait beyond triage, just spent the time sitting chatting to the nurses for hours while they monitored me. So Basically uncontrolled atm, 14.0 this morning's fasting reading, generally between 13.0 and 19 most days. Was 27.9 when I went to A&E!
Hi timgil...It's disappointing you have been limited to a ten minute appointment for what could be a diagnosis of T2...hopefully if you need more time your GP or DSN may extend the appointment...in the meantime I would suggest as much reading & research as you can bear before your appointment...note down any questions you need to ask...often once we walk into that room we forget what we need to say...one of the major helps for me at my diagnosis was a book by Gretchen Becker...Type2 Diabetes The First year...it explains exactly what diabetes is...how it develops...the familial link.... advises on diet & the benefits of testing our blood glucose...it answers many of the questions our GP's cannot...good luck & keep us updated.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
..until we have a good shake up of diabetic services for T2's we have to look to our own resources to halt any progression with our conditions...those who have been 'caught' in the vagaries of NHS T2 diabetic services to their disadvantage have my sympathy & any I could reach with a different message would have my support.

100% agree.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning, all! It's a balmy 6 degrees outside and an even balmier 5.6 in here on the BG meter. I am on bird-feeding duty now as well as cat-feeding so of course I woke up early unable to get back to sleep because my brain is trying to figure out how to mount two bird feeders with no stands or hooks.

Oh, well, it's still pitch dark out in the garden so I have plenty of time to enjoy my coffee and bacon and try to get my brain to relax.

timgil

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi timgil...It's disappointing you have been limited to a ten minute appointment for what could be a diagnosis of T2...hopefully if you need more time your GP or DSN may extend the appointment...in the meantime I would suggest as much reading & research as you can bear before your appointment...note down any questions you need to ask...often once we walk into that room we forget what we need to say...one of the major helps for me at my diagnosis was a book by Gretchen Becker...Type2 Diabetes The First year...it explains exactly what diabetes is...how it develops...the familial link.... advises on diet & the benefits of testing our blood glucose...it answers many of the questions our GP's cannot...good luck & keep us updated.

Thanks Bubbsie,

Yes, I have spent the last 3 weeks or so reading as much as I can, discovering that a lot of what is said by medial professionals is questionable and came to the conclusion that what works for ME is what is best for me. I'm taking regular readings, finding out what doesn't suddenly throw my readings through the roof, and being flexible with my meals and adjusting them to compensate if my readings do go higher than usual. Have certainly lost weight (two new holes in my belt!) which has got to be a step in the right direction. Cutting my portion sizes and drastically reducing carbs (not really low - around 120 - but much lower than previously). polydipsia has stopped which I hope means I have at least started to help make things a little better.

I suspect my appointment will mostly an initial chat and arrange a longer appointment. I will see next Friday I guess.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That makes hard reading. Given a lifeline and throwing it away. It's so sad. A friend of mine was diagnosed at the same time as me. He is on metformin and statins. Skin problems, cramps, tummy issues, still has high fBS (when he does test which isn't often) but wants to take the meds so he can eat what he wants. His words.

That's like the TV commercials for the antacid people are told to take before they eat so they can "enjoy" all the foods that give them heartburn. :banghead:

Reactions: jjraak and Geoffno6

Geoffno6

Do you really mean that @Bubbsie , after the ‘Yes @timgil , you have diabetes’ there’ll be 9 minutes left for duff advice, an overdose of NICE guided misinformation and a telling off for letting it happen. Seriously I hope it’s a good productive well advised meeting with the doctor though the other information source mentioned above would probably offer much more useful advice

timgil

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you really mean that @Bubbsie , after the ‘Yes @timgil , you have diabetes’ there’ll be 9 minutes left for duff advice, an overdose of NICE guided misinformation and a telling off for letting it happen. Seriously I hope it’s a good productive well advised meeting with the doctor though the other information source mentioned above would probably offer much more useful advice

To be honest, I'm not really expecting much. I have read enough to know not to absolutely trust the advice I am given. I do not currently think I can control this with just diet and lifestyle changes - although I plan to do my best to do so. At this stage, just having a diagnosis so I know I am not just going crazy will be an achievement. I suspect they will want to put me on some medication either straight away or after a while (probably Metformin I guess), but I believe the long term management of this is down to me - and I'm not going to rely on medical professionals but on what proves to work for me. It is a broken system really when it is left to us to sort this - but thankfully there are plenty of useful support networks like this site.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Quote for today
FB_IMG_1544813800294.jpg

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh good grief, now I find myself thinking of @ianpspurs every time I stir my morning coffee! :D
And then I think of Hotspur, and then I think of Black Beauty, because there is a horse in it named Hotspur, and then I think, "Oh, good grief, go sit down and drink your coffee!"

So here I am sitting down and drinking my coffee with my cat in my lap, and second BG this morning was 5.8 and I think I dreamed I was posting here. At least earlier I know I dreamed I was posting various prescription meds with friends on a spreadsheet ...

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh good grief, now I find myself thinking of @ianpspurs every time I stir my morning coffee! :D
And then I think of Hotspur, and then I think of Black Beauty, because there is a horse in it named Hotspur, and then I think, "Oh, good grief, go sit down and drink your coffee!"
Could be much worse - at least you are on another continent. Imagine the damage I could do to your well being if I lived on your street:angelic:

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Could be much worse - at least you are on another continent. Imagine the damage I could do to your well being if I lived on your street:angelic:

Hmm ... you would have to get past the trolls first!
But we do have a dog walk, and grandkids in and out off and on, especially around the holidays ... and we would require you to teach us the I'm a Troll song for our next jam. (That's jam with music, not with bread.)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmm ... you would have to get past the trolls first!
But we do have a dog walk, and grandkids in and out off and on, especially around the holidays ... and we would require you to teach us the I'm a Troll song for our next jam. (That's jam with music, not with bread.)
fo shizzle my nizzle, as everyone in the fens says daily (whilst chewing straw and leaning on a farm gate):angelic:

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
(Do I want to ask what a nizzle is?)
I've only ever been anywhere near the fens once and there were no farm gates and not even the cows were chewing straw. ;) But hey, I went to Auburn University. Straw and farm gates are right up my alley! (Er, street. Er, track.) :D

Now I really must go find a copy of the book I'd thought about for my Christmas-New Year read. The Nine Tailors.