What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
For clarity I was referring to those that Deborah was dining with - not worth bothering talking about food with other people (outside of here) as most either won’t understand or won’t want to understand :)

Sorry for any confusion.
No problems. The internet is not always great for nuance. Have a great day and keep turning out those good stats:)

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All. Another 6.3 at 0700. Yesterday I ate a keto cheese scone for breakfast lunch was an Aldi nut bar on the run (very active day running around) and chicken breast with brocolli for dinner. I tested before/after and late afternoon in case of nut bar and never dropped below 6 all day. I am not unwell. Could it be my habitual two gin and slimlines between 6 and 7pm do you think? All suggestions welcome other than fasting long periods.
Have a great day everyone. Stay well, safe and hypo free.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm really pleased you had a positive experience with your nurse . My experience has been the opposite, I'm grateful this site is here so I could get some info which wasnt being given to me by my surgery.
I agree your experience was horrendous. I also don't think the NHS actually told everyone at DX to go stuff themselves with Krispy Kremes like some would have you believe:angelic:

Last edited:

Geoffno6

Thanks @alf_Josiah. I have no intentions of longer fasts and also think my actual levels may be nearer my meter readings but need some sleuthing to either confirm this or prove me deluded:arghh: Looking again, I am basically back to where I was last December but a kg lighter so perhaps an OK year.

Really good results Ian, you deserve them. You grumble a bit but get on with it and look after yourself well virtually every day battling through regardless. You’re a star

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Really good results Ian, you deserve them. You grumble a bit but get on with it and look after yourself well virtually every day battling through regardless. You’re a star
Who is this Ian of which you speak - my family would like to meet him:angelic:

Reactions: Geoffno6

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Morning All. Another 6.3 at 0700. Yesterday I ate a keto cheese scone for breakfast lunch was an Aldi nut bar on the run (very active day running around) and chicken breast with brocolli for dinner. I tested before/after and late afternoon in case of nut bar and never dropped below 6 all day. I am not unwell. Could it be my habitual two gin and slimlines between 6 and 7pm do you think? All suggestions welcome other than fasting long periods.
Have a great day everyone. Stay well, safe and hypo free.
I'd blame it on anything else but the G&Ts @PenguinMum
More running? or how about going up and down stairs more?

Geoffno6

Thanks for that. Mine are not that far apart but I am pretty sure I am lower than the standard Hba1c shows. Big lesson for me is to trust what I see daily and live with the higher docs numbers. Chasing lower numbers on that test is likely to cause big problems elsewhere. Many thanks for the links - hopefully what I think is going on will be verified in those.

I agree completely, trust the numbers, they’re all in the ok zone in the ballpark whether they’re ‘great ok’ or ‘not too bad ok’ is a bit of a detail. It’s when we chase the impossible (for our body) that we go too far and can easily end up doing more harm than good. I think every silver lining has a cloud, and most of us on the forum have the silver lining that we’re doing something about our predicament. The cloud can be overdoing it or trying too hard to do what’s beyond us.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree completely, trust the numbers, they’re all in the ok zone in the ballpark whether they’re ‘great ok’ or ‘not too bad ok’ is a bit of a detail. It’s when we chase the impossible (for our body) that we go too far and can easily end up doing more harm than good. I think every silver lining has a cloud, and most of us on the forum have the silver lining that we’re doing something about our predicament. The cloud can be overdoing it or trying too hard to do what’s beyond us.
Great post @Geoffno6. Takes a very long time to unpack everything in I am is who I am - hopefully I'm on the way there but I am as mad as several boxes of frogs.

Geoffno6

Bit late posting today as fully engrossed in sorting hubby's Christmas presie. All sorted and sent off to the north pole!

6.4 today. And my little bit of chat won't be as little as it should be but you know me :) I expected my BS to be in the 6s as i was out for a meal last night, so I'm not in the slightest bit surprised. The diabetic group Xmas night out. Which was full of surprises! Ive only been to one meeting, Octobers. Novembers i couldnt make as it was my wedding anniversary. And Decembers was in actual fact last nights meal. We met at a really lovely restaurant that is renown for a cracking carvery. About 20 of us. And on a Monday its BOGOF. So 2 for £8! Everyone is really friendly. Some partners were there. My hubby was invited. He is a great mixer and before long we were chatting with everyone and anyone whilst perusing the menu. I got excited. Halloumi fries in the starters section. I'm in! I plumped for the carvery. The safe option. I will tell you a bit about the food first.and what was eaten. Most had starters. Many had prawn cocktail. This came with 2 slices of crusty white bread on the side. I wondered if this might be left to one side. Indeed not. Well, it is xmas. Everyone went for the carvery option. Now I'm not one to watch what others eat. Well i should rephrase that. I never used to be! Til dx. I couldnt help but notice everyones plates were full.... to capacity. 2 yorkshires in many cases and enough roasties/potatoes to sink a battleship. Lots of veg, stuffing, gravy etc. Then dessert options. A few went for the caramel ice cream (large). Others the xmas pudding with custard. I was full. No cheese board anyway so i wouldnt have bothered. I would normally love to see people enjoying their food. And bye God they were. But I felt really really sad. At this point i had mingled and chatted with quite a few of the group around and about me. Diabetes came up as you would expect. No they dont monitor their BS. Even the insulin dependent ones 'not that often'. Told not to bother. Their diabetes has been progressive. Many taking 2 or more meds just for diabetes. Others saying they 'rattle' with the amount of tablets they take. Do you know your hba1c I asked a couple but they didn't. They just put their lives in the hands of the medical team. Apart from 3 of those there (myself included) all were extremely over weight. No doubt over weight due to the insulin! And they eat what they like, apart from cutting back on 'sugar'. I brought up carbs being sugar. The 2 ladies in on this conversation had no clue how much sugar was in bread, pasta, pots, rice. They have been diabetic for many years. Probably never been on a DESMOND course. I told her i dont eat those high carb foods, or extremely rarely. One of the ladies reacted with a shocked expression 'what, you dont eat any of those things, what DO you eat'. I said mainly eggs for breaky. Another horrified look. The lady was warned off eggs due to cholestrol being high. She doesn't touch them for that reason. I could go on. It was the exact opposite of the diabetic dining experience I thoroughly enjoyed in September in Birmingham which made me very happy and very proud to be a part of a group of such focused individuals taking back control of.l their health. These poor people still put their faith and health in the NHS who ate letting them down and in fact slowly killing them.

The organiser who has been t2d for over 15 years who says hers is 'progressive' has asked me to talk about my journey at the next meeting in January. I was looking forward to it. Kind of thinking about structuring it like a training session until some of the kind forum members advised me against this. Rightly so. Gently does it. It's going to be extremely challenging! I want to be as helpful in my 30-40 minutes as possible. But after last night I can see what I'm upnagainst. They are all so lovely and have been through so much on their journey (the lady opposite me is registered blind, she has liver problems due to tablets she took in 2008 which she thinks gave her t2d). She is so very tiny now and in very poor health. She hasn't been out since July. She was so enjoying her food and the chats. My heart felt so heavy. Wanting to help and offer guidance on controlling BS and helping them feel better, yet knowing I'm going to be going into what they really should not be eating to regain health. This particular lady was 76, lives on her own and is frail looking too. I'm going to talk about my journey (@xfieldok is on board, we will do it as a team which i think will work really well). Going to hand out leaflets with useful info on. Not sure exactly what useful info at this point but @Rachox your fab BS leaflet will be one of the handouts! If one person gets something out of it it will be worth out. And the word might spread.

Nice one Debs, I love your little essays. I go on about carbs to other T2s and end feeling like I’m an odd ball. (Probably rightly so) Also it’s obvious I’m wrong because I’m professing to know more than doctors, what sort of idiot would do that just because of a few months experience of an ailment! Anyway your last few words sum it up, if one person gets something out of it, it will be worth it. Good luck!

So I’m on post 30 ish of my 92 posts to read to catch up on the thread!

Btw FBG a hideous 11.4 at 9 am.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think every silver lining has a cloud, and most of us on the forum have the silver lining that we’re doing something about our predicament.

The cloud can be overdoing it or trying too hard to do what’s beyond us.

I saw a post recently on here about 'Herding Cats'..and when i look at some of the more scientific posts, that';s how it feels to me.
Sooo many variables to keep track of.....:woot:

I agree @Geoffno6 , i am new at this, but for me the goal is to get the numbers into that narrow corridor of
'Acceptable/Normal" without my BG or the HBA1c bouncing off the danger zones.

And you guys are ALL my inspiration to see it's not just possible, but so many of you are actually managing that on a daily basis..<Respect>

Great figs, btw @ianpspurs...
( :greedy: = green with envy...but it was all down to your hard work and discipline..bravo :cool: )

Geoffno6

Thanks @DJC3. Those numbers will do and I think there are some non dietary tweaks I can work on plus summer always seems better for me - I really dislike autumn and winter. Now, get the chimney sorted and stop chatting to mad old men on t'internet :angelic:

In two days time the sun starts to get higher in the sky every single day and every single day will be slightly longer and the sun will feel slightly stronger on a daily basis .... for months and months!!! woop woop

Geoffno6

Morning, or good night if you're off to bed.
Fed up to be honest and don't feel like smiling. OK so I know I had coquille for lunch yesterday, slightly bad for me but only veg and chicken for supper, very good for me. Then messed that up with a couple of glasses of rose and 5g of chocolate, very bad.
Madam woke at 5am @ 7. I wonder if I can blame it on not testing immediately or if I should hold my hand up
Well done @ianpspurs your numbers are great.

Don’t be fed up @SueJB it doesn’t fit with your grinny avatar next time skip the choccy and just have more wine.

Geoffno6

my level first thing this morning was 15.5.
I havnt eaten or drank anything except water since about 21:00 last night

Hi @weemer, welcome to the forum and welcome to that select group that you don’t want to be in, those with poorer skills at BG control! I see you’ve started a thread and great advice is pouring in, please keep us posted with your progress. Good luck and I trust you’ll soon abandon my group and join the happy (mostly ) 5s in the morning club! Be happy in the knowledge that your 15.5 allows me to be smug about my 11.4!

Reactions: DJC3 and OrsonKartt

Geoffno6

So 11.4 at 9am after a 7 hour drive back from The Lakes to Kent. I had a KFC at 9pm carefully picked off the crusts from the chicken, sadly you lose most of the skin and fat too But .... I did eat a little half corn on the cob too. Mad you might say, but I thought it was one of those foods I could get away with, based on previous low PPs after sweet corn. My theory was that as I often see it come out after passing thru the dark side, maybe my body doesn’t notice it. I even avoid chewing it to help the guts crew avoid it. Anyway either that or the stress of stopping every 20 mins for a ten minute nap for the last two hours of the drive, or my local M26 being closed and sending me on a 30 minute diversion, my numbers were silly high. The libre says I was in 9s and 10s all night so the good ol’ DP has a head start. Down to 10 now so as I always think ‘I’ll live’
Have a great rest of the day Peeps x

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I saw a post recently on here about 'Herding Cats'..and when i look at some of the more scientific posts, that';s how it feels to me.
Sooo many variables to keep track of.....:woot:

I agree @Geoffno6 , i am new at this, but for me the goal is to get the numbers into that narrow corridor of
'Acceptable/Normal" without my BG or the HBA1c bouncing off the danger zones.

And you guys are ALL my inspiration to see it's not just possible, but so many of you are actually managing that on a daily basis..<Respect>

Great figs, btw @ianpspurs...
( :greedy: = green with envy...but it was all down to your hard work and discipline..bravo :cool: )
All down to the wisdom Harry R shared when Pav came on in his first game - "just *ing run abart a bit" Truly a man of great wisdom and with such a talented dog. Wish mine looked after money like his did:)

Last edited:

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
8.1 for me, which is slightly above average for me at the moment. All the same it was the Christmas dinner for my morris last night and that raspberry gin was just too tempting...and so were the roast potatoes. Hope everyone is having a good day and the Christmas preparations are well under way.