Type 1'stars R Us

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all and thank whoever for my dog. Without her I could turn into an utterly immobile slob over Christmas; with her, walking twice a day, undoubtedly feel better for it. Long walks help with Christmas over-indulgence, unless you overdo it in the evening - not keen on the idea of walking miles at night!

@Knikki I'm intrigued to learn why you're researching elderly amps?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
So I’m sat here printing MySugr, Nightscout and MyFitnessPal reports ready for my DSN annual review at my GP surgery at early o’clock tomorrow morning. I have to “justify” my 37 HbA1c, it seems. :banghead: Anyway, my Nightscout reports show less than 3% of my time is hypo, I’m 78% in range and about 19% above. Note to self, don’t say I think there’s still plenty of room for improvement! She’s never heard of Bernstein or Sugar Surfing, so I’m going to take both books to show her.

Been shopping for a new smartwatch too, my Pebble is getting a bit glitchy and sad. I’m thinking of a Fitbit Ionic atm...

K

Knikki

@Mel dCP i don't know why you have to justify your 37 hb1ac, but when I had my review I did get the "your not hypo are you?" To which I replied "oh course I hypo I'm type 1 we all do, sometimes I get right, sometimes wrong" she seemed to like that answer. However good luck and will be interesting to here what the DSN says :)

@hh1 I got a turntable for Christmas so fancy getting rid of my current AV system, replacing that with a sound bar and then linking the turntable and CD player into a proper stereo amp. I fancy a vintage one with VU meters and swirly graphics from a graphic equaliser sitting there :) also I like the brushed silver from that era, nearly all modern amps are black unless you go for a tube amps they are sometimes in different colours.

Reactions: hh1 and porl69

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh love a bit of Dark Side of the Moon. Love amps that are silver: I used to have a rather splendid Denon amp in silver to go with my turntable. Unfortunately years ago I decided that vinyl was taking up too much space and ditched both. Big mistake

Reactions: kitedoc and hh1

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all and thank whoever for my dog. Without her I could turn into an utterly immobile slob over Christmas; with her, walking twice a day, undoubtedly feel better for it. Long walks help with Christmas over-indulgence, unless you overdo it in the evening - not keen on the idea of walking miles at night!

I don't have a dog to keep me walking but I'm well aware the walks I do are so beneficial on a number of fronts and a day without walking affects my emotional and mental health along with my blood sugars so the thought of that keeps me walking instead. I actually love walking solitary miles at night but am sensible about where I walk, always have my phone with me and, usually, stick to bus routes so I can get home easily if I've overdone the walking to counteract the overdoing the food!

I'm currently in pleasant shock from my lunchtime encounter with a lovely barista who not only enthusiastically checked the carb count of my indulgent sandwich and cake lunch for me in the massive folder of nutritional information and thanked me for the information I provided her with about why I needed the information. (I discovered I was talking to someone who'd just completed a higher degree level thesis in Nutrition and had her own health reasons for being interested in a lower carb approach to eating.)

The best bit was when I could see the "Can you eat that?" thoughts flitting across her face and I firmly announced. "Never tell a person with diabetes what they can and can't eat. I can eat what I want to, as long as I get the insulin right, but it's different for everyone." One of her colleagues turned around and agreed with me so fervently I did wonder if I'd found someone who'd been at the receiving end of such comments!!

So, here I am 10 miles later on a perfect pre-evening meal number, no coaxing numbers up mid-walk as I'd calculated correctly for carbs and exercise, and enjoyed some happy food indulgence all because I got the right information without being made to feel I was being awkward or difficult.

Of course, it could've been because I was wearing the correct colour socks for coffee and walnut cake...

Last edited:
Reactions: Robinredbreast

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So I’m sat here printing MySugr, Nightscout and MyFitnessPal reports ready for my DSN annual review at my GP surgery at early o’clock tomorrow morning. I have to “justify” my 37 HbA1c, it seems. :banghead: Anyway, my Nightscout reports show less than 3% of my time is hypo, I’m 78% in range and about 19% above. Note to self, don’t say I think there’s still plenty of room for improvement! She’s never heard of Bernstein or Sugar Surfing, so I’m going to take both books to show her.

Been shopping for a new smartwatch too, my Pebble is getting a bit glitchy and sad. I’m thinking of a Fitbit Ionic atm...

3% below range is pretty good.

Reactions: porl69

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Mel dCP your figures are amazing, fascinated to hear the results of tomorrow's appointment!

@Knikki & @smc4761 I've got a whole heap of NAD gear which I took apart a couple of years ago as I needed to move it all and which now sits idle out of the way somewhere. I need to put it back together as I've been going through my vinyl and it'd be really good to be able to play it....good luck with finding what you're looking for!

@Japes I don't walk anything like the distances you do and because of my dog, it's virtually all across fields/through woods, which can be hard going when it gets really muddy. What a great experience with the barista, more like that please!

K

Knikki

@karen8967 your in early, you working today as well?

@hh1 go on blow the dust of your NAD system and set it up :headphone: I have a NAD cd which is nice and might still pick an older one up (just for the joke about "having a pair of nads" ;):hilarious: ). There are loades on Ebay ranging from a couple of quid to a couple of thousand for some power amps from the 80's.

Morning all and BBC news is depressing this time of the morning. Bloods ok been in the green all night currently sat round the 7's so OK.

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning fellow teabags, I have also been up for about an hour just about to set off for another day at salt mines. BG behaved overnight slight peak around 2.30 am to a 8.2 now sitting at 7.1 after a fairly flat line overnight

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Good morning, hope you all had a great Christmas. My BS have been up and down, but mainly up,my body doesn't seem to cope well with sudden changes :rolleyes: I received lots of presents, especially from my daughter, 11 of them :happy: and a hand made bamboo box, with a hand made picture frame, from my son, so lovely :happy:plus a very thoughtful gift from her boyfriend's parents, a cheese board with Nairns gluten free cracker's :)
Have a great Thursday everyone X

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, got up to 6.6, two minutes later Libre told me 7.2 and diagonal up arrow. Meter said similar, ok, can cope with that, not uncommon. Inject, eat, now on 4.4 diagonal down just 40 mins after injecting, meter agrees. Who knows? Have done nothing yet except sit down. This never happens....must've stirred my tea in the wrong direction :(

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Good morning colanders all, have a happy day.
I’m looking forward to eating up all the bits and pieces of leftovers for the next few days - ‘interesting’ fish and linguine last night but BG ok. A new Levemir cartridge made a difference. I plan to contact Novo Nordisk customer service about Levemir’s short span of full power and, if I get through, I’ll tell you what they say.
Mel, your results are amazing!
Robinredbreast, what a great Christmas!
And all you salt mine slaves, may you make this Yuletide cheerful. (Twelve days dontcha know.)

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi all, frustrating time getting the approx 100 g carb diet to work. Needing too many correction doses.
Decided to go back to basics a little and work on current 40 units of insulin per day (=TDD) and split that into 60% basal and 40% bolus (approx.). It has been closer to 50:50 recently.
Needle sites are behaving with the steel cannulas so figure it is a good time to rethink things.
Not really sold on the Libre so in Feb will be asking more about the Dexcom.
Meantime the Contour Next meter is my best buddy.
Meanwhile 41 degrees c here today. My out of fridge insulin is in a cooler bag with an ice brick. The washing dries inside the garage within an hour. I could fry an egg on the car bonnet if parked out in the sun.
I walked to the chemist to collect a script, when out as a plum, came back as a prune.
And as the recipe says: add water to reconstitute !!

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, decided to try and reduce my time above target yesterday. But ended up with almost exactly the same after breakfast spike as I had the previous Wednesday, which was the day I was losing, in the 7 day period, and the one I was trying to improve on. It doesn't happen on other days.

I remember someone talking about Fridays (I think) on the thread a while ago, and how their blood sugar always went weird on Fridays. Be sort of ironic if all this high tech ended up making us superstitious about how days of the week affect blood sugar.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Morning all, decided to try and reduce my time above target yesterday. But ended up with almost exactly the same after breakfast spike as I had the previous Wednesday, which was the day I was losing, in the 7 day period, and the one I was trying to improve on. It doesn't happen on other days.

I remember someone talking about Fridays (I think) on the thread a while ago, and how their blood sugar always went weird on Fridays. Be sort of ironic if all this high tech ended up making us superstitious about how days of the week affect blood sugar.
In the Public Service of Australia, Friday is called POET'S day. Pee Off Early Tomorrow's Saturday !!!

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@karen8967 your in early, you working today as well?

@hh1 go on blow the dust of your NAD system and set it up :headphone: I have a NAD cd which is nice and might still pick an older one up (just for the joke about "having a pair of nads" ;):hilarious: ). There are loades on Ebay ranging from a couple of quid to a couple of thousand for some power amps from the 80's.

Morning all and BBC news is depressing this time of the morning. Bloods ok been in the green all night currently sat round the 7's so OK.
Yes only off the weekend

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Alison54321 . Thursdays are always the last working day of the week for me. Guarantee if I’m going to have a day when my BS decides to go AWOL whether it be high or low it will occur 8 out of 10 times on a Thursday.
There’s far more to this T1 malarkey than people realise :banghead: