1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1'stars R Us

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Robinredbreast, Jun 10, 2018.

1. smc4761

smc4761 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Oh love a bit of Dark Side of the Moon. Love amps that are silver: I used to have a rather splendid Denon amp in silver to go with my turntable. Unfortunately years ago I decided that vinyl was taking up too much space and ditched both. Big mistake

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Japes

Japes LADA · Well-Known Member

I don't have a dog to keep me walking but I'm well aware the walks I do are so beneficial on a number of fronts and a day without walking affects my emotional and mental health along with my blood sugars so the thought of that keeps me walking instead. I actually love walking solitary miles at night but am sensible about where I walk, always have my phone with me and, usually, stick to bus routes so I can get home easily if I've overdone the walking to counteract the overdoing the food!

I'm currently in pleasant shock from my lunchtime encounter with a lovely barista who not only enthusiastically checked the carb count of my indulgent sandwich and cake lunch for me in the massive folder of nutritional information and thanked me for the information I provided her with about why I needed the information. (I discovered I was talking to someone who'd just completed a higher degree level thesis in Nutrition and had her own health reasons for being interested in a lower carb approach to eating.)

The best bit was when I could see the "Can you eat that?" thoughts flitting across her face and I firmly announced. "Never tell a person with diabetes what they can and can't eat. I can eat what I want to, as long as I get the insulin right, but it's different for everyone." One of her colleagues turned around and agreed with me so fervently I did wonder if I'd found someone who'd been at the receiving end of such comments!!

So, here I am 10 miles later on a perfect pre-evening meal number, no coaxing numbers up mid-walk as I'd calculated correctly for carbs and exercise, and enjoyed some happy food indulgence all because I got the right information without being made to feel I was being awkward or difficult.

Of course, it could've been because I was wearing the correct colour socks for coffee and walnut cake...

• Winner Winner x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    #9562 Japes, Dec 26, 2018 at 5:21 PM
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
  3. Alison54321

Alison54321 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

3% below range is pretty good.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. hh1

hh1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@Mel dCP your figures are amazing, fascinated to hear the results of tomorrow's appointment!

@Knikki & @smc4761 I've got a whole heap of NAD gear which I took apart a couple of years ago as I needed to move it all and which now sits idle out of the way somewhere. I need to put it back together as I've been going through my vinyl and it'd be really good to be able to play it....good luck with finding what you're looking for!

@Japes I don't walk anything like the distances you do and because of my dog, it's virtually all across fields/through woods, which can be hard going when it gets really muddy. What a great experience with the barista, more like that please!

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. karen8967

karen8967 Type 1 · Expert

Good morning everyone enjoy your day

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  6. Knikki

Knikki · Guest

@karen8967 your in early, you working today as well?

@hh1 go on blow the dust of your NAD system and set it up :headphone: I have a NAD cd which is nice and might still pick an older one up (just for the joke about "having a pair of nads" ;):hilarious: ). There are loades on Ebay ranging from a couple of quid to a couple of thousand for some power amps from the 80's.

Morning all and BBC news is depressing this time of the morning. Bloods ok been in the green all night currently sat round the 7's so OK.

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  7. smc4761

smc4761 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Morning fellow teabags, I have also been up for about an hour just about to set off for another day at salt mines. BG behaved overnight slight peak around 2.30 am to a 8.2 now sitting at 7.1 after a fairly flat line overnight

• Like Like x 5
  8. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Good morning, hope you all had a great Christmas. My BS have been up and down, but mainly up,my body doesn't seem to cope well with sudden changes :rolleyes: I received lots of presents, especially from my daughter, 11 of them :happy: and a hand made bamboo box, with a hand made picture frame, from my son, so lovely :happy:plus a very thoughtful gift from her boyfriend's parents, a cheese board with Nairns gluten free cracker's :)
    Have a great Thursday everyone X

• Like Like x 8
  9. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

I know my teeth would shatter for sure, so no toffee's for me :rolleyes::D

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. hh1

hh1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Morning all, got up to 6.6, two minutes later Libre told me 7.2 and diagonal up arrow. Meter said similar, ok, can cope with that, not uncommon. Inject, eat, now on 4.4 diagonal down just 40 mins after injecting, meter agrees. Who knows? Have done nothing yet except sit down. This never happens....must've stirred my tea in the wrong direction :(

• Like Like x 3
    • Hug Hug x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Good morning colanders all, have a happy day.
    I’m looking forward to eating up all the bits and pieces of leftovers for the next few days - ‘interesting’ fish and linguine last night but BG ok. A new Levemir cartridge made a difference. I plan to contact Novo Nordisk customer service about Levemir’s short span of full power and, if I get through, I’ll tell you what they say.
    Mel, your results are amazing!
    Robinredbreast, what a great Christmas!
    And all you salt mine slaves, may you make this Yuletide cheerful. (Twelve days dontcha know.)

• Like Like x 6
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. porl69

porl69 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Good morning.....Back to work for me! 1 car booked in to look at the brakes, fingers crossed it will be a quick fix

@Mel dCP your results are amazing, pretty sure every T1D would be proud of those lines :)

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. kitedoc

kitedoc Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi all, frustrating time getting the approx 100 g carb diet to work. Needing too many correction doses.
    Decided to go back to basics a little and work on current 40 units of insulin per day (=TDD) and split that into 60% basal and 40% bolus (approx.). It has been closer to 50:50 recently.
    Needle sites are behaving with the steel cannulas so figure it is a good time to rethink things.
    Not really sold on the Libre so in Feb will be asking more about the Dexcom.
    Meantime the Contour Next meter is my best buddy.
    Meanwhile 41 degrees c here today. My out of fridge insulin is in a cooler bag with an ice brick. The washing dries inside the garage within an hour. I could fry an egg on the car bonnet if parked out in the sun.
    I walked to the chemist to collect a script, when out as a plum, came back as a prune.
    And as the recipe says: add water to reconstitute !!

• Like Like x 4
    • Hug Hug x 1
  14. Alison54321

Morning all, decided to try and reduce my time above target yesterday. But ended up with almost exactly the same after breakfast spike as I had the previous Wednesday, which was the day I was losing, in the 7 day period, and the one I was trying to improve on. It doesn't happen on other days.

I remember someone talking about Fridays (I think) on the thread a while ago, and how their blood sugar always went weird on Fridays. Be sort of ironic if all this high tech ended up making us superstitious about how days of the week affect blood sugar.

• Like Like x 3
  15. kitedoc

kitedoc Type 1 · Well-Known Member

In the Public Service of Australia, Friday is called POET'S day. Pee Off Early Tomorrow's Saturday !!!

• Like Like x 2
  16. karen8967

karen8967 Type 1 · Expert

Yes only off the weekend

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  17. therower

therower Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@Alison54321 . Thursdays are always the last working day of the week for me. Guarantee if I’m going to have a day when my BS decides to go AWOL whether it be high or low it will occur 8 out of 10 times on a Thursday.
    There’s far more to this T1 malarkey than people realise :banghead:

• Agree Agree x 4
  18. Japes

Japes LADA · Well-Known Member

Could've been me @Alison54321 - I had a run of Fridays with blood sugars going completely weird on me!

• Like Like x 3
  19. Alison54321

Friday is associated with Venus, so you'll have to sacrifice whatever is appropriate to placate her.

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I rang Novo Nordisk and the Customer Care person seemed to suggest there was some confusion, at their end, about whether Levemir should be refrigerated after getting it from a pharmacy, and putting it in a pen, or not. I think it might have been her confusion.
    She’s going to raise the problem of it declining after two refrigerated weeks with the more knowledgeable team so I/we wait to see what ensues. I’m now intrigued by the problem and want the next instalment.

• Like Like x 7
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook