Please don’t stop posting...

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My numbers are really s**t at the moment and probably nothing to do with the time of year, they have been for 4 months....
and tonight we didn't actually have anything in the house... so did carbonara, with lots of double cream, eggs and cheese and a glass of red wine (first in two weeks)... not for the purists that's for sure.... followed by a long walk.
Posting is good.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@SaskiaKC roastie = roast potatoes:)

Over here (US) we take a potato in its skin

stab it with a fork a few times to let steam escape, and put it in the oven at 350-400F for maybe an hour. We call that a baked potato. It is almost exactly what we do with beef, for roast beef.

Is that what y'all call a roast potato?

I've never understood why bread and cakes and potatoes are baked, and meat is roasted, similar temperatures, same oven. But all are delicious.

Last edited:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We have baked potatoes too, but our roasties are very different. :D

*pic removed for humanitarian reasons ;) *

Potatoes are part boiled, shaken to rough up their surface, then roasted in the oven in a baking dish of hot hot hot fat (goose fat is a fave) til they look like the pic. They should be crunchy and glorious on the outside, and soft and glorious on the inside.:wacky:

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-26_23-19-11.png
    upload_2018-12-26_23-19-11.png
    594.5 KB · Views: 334
Last edited:

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Over here (US) we take a potato in its skin
images

stab it with a fork a few times to let steam escape, and put it in the oven at 350-400F for maybe an hour. We call that a baked potato. It is almost exactly what we do with beef, for roast beef.

Is that what y'all call a roast potato?

I've never understood why bread and cakes and potatoes are baked, and meat is roasted, similar temperatures, same oven. But all are delicious.
That's a baked potato. Best done in the ashes of an open fire if you have one.

Roast potatoes are done in the oven. Par boil the potatoes for 10 minutes, drain, shake in colander to rough up the edges. Tip to into hot fat, beef dripping in my case, every 20 minutes or so, turn to crisp on rack side. Temperature of oven should be high.

Results should be crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside.

Best eating results, extra taste gravy, roughly mash potatoes into gravy and devour.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oops. I deleted my potato pic.

But goodness, those roasties look delicious! :)

I will try to not try them. ;)

I will go back and delete my pic too. Just wipe them from your memory :D:D:D
They are HORRIBLE really. Quite horrible! ;)

Reactions: zauberflote

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Yall are Too Funny!!!! I ate too much of correct stuff yesterday but this evening we took my 91 yr old mom out to a great restaurant. I had a salad sans onions, grilled salmon, and fried green tomatoes with the breading off. They were still good. So far so good, yes? Then came dessert, and Mom and I chose chocolate decadence ice cream. I managed to only eat maybe a tbsp, and I am going for a slow walk as penance. Hope it works. I have 6 weeks til next A1c....

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,

This is addressed to everyone (not just the low carbers) who have fallen off their wagon over Xmas.
Doesn’t matter what particular wagon it is.

Every year we get posters who go AWOL around this time year. Could be the roasties, the Tin of Quality St, the extra special superdooper family recipe eggnog...
Whatever the cause, they disappear. Starts as one day, then it grows, and grows... amazing how far ‘just one more’ will take you.
Sometimes it can last til April, if you let it.

Well, I am encouraging you to get that meter back out.
Stop buying your version of kryptonite (whatever your brand of kryptonite happens to be).
And just keep reading and posting on the forum.
You will find you are very much NOT alone, and that clambering back on your particular wagon is really much easier when you aren’t going it alone.

Don’t feel guilty.
Don’t feel ashamed.
Just keep in touch.
:D
We’ve all been there.
Instead of a nice lunch and dinner I spent the afternoon/evening with mum at the hospital with heartproblems (tachycardia, I'm thinking electrolytes were a problem? Not that anyone tells us anything!), where all I had was tea and heaps of stress. She's home again, but when we got there the ruins on the family feast were there. (Aunts, uncle, cousins and their boyfriends were all there until the **** hit the fan and we called an ambulance. They were invaluable!). I caved and had some of the luxury chocolates that had gone untouched, sitting abandoned on the kitchen counter. Ketosis be damned, I needed chocolate!

About three hours later I was shivering and shaking. Low bloodsugar, but only just. So I guess I can reasonably suspect RH? Would explain why I hypo'd a couple of times in the past years, before trying keto, while as a T2 that shouldn't happen. Ah well. RH or not, I suppose it doesn't matter if I stick with the diet. Back to keto I go. And will drive back to Tilburg today or tomorrow, depending on what mum wants/needs. Hate that I also have to take care of me in the meantime. It's hard to care enough to, when you're rushing around for someone you love. I wish this year were over, it's been a bad one.

Hope wholeheartedly everyone's having a better christmas than us! Xxx

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hugs to you and your mum, @JoKalsbeek . I know what it's like to be at a hospital with your mother. It's horrible. Of course you needed chocolate! I don't know what RH is but would venture to guess it could be delayed reaction to the stress about your mum and the hospital as well as to the chocolate. But that's only a guess on my part.

I also remember a Christmas Eve years ago that my mother and I spent in the ER with my father.

Less than a week to go 'til year end.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hugs to you and your mum, @JoKalsbeek . I know what it's like to be at a hospital with your mother. It's horrible. Of course you needed chocolate! I don't know what RH is but would venture to guess it could be delayed reaction to the stress about your mum and the hospital as well as to the chocolate. But that's only a guess on my part.

I also remember a Christmas Eve years ago that my mother and I spent in the ER with my father.

Less than a week to go 'til year end.
Thank you. I needed that. *hug*

Reactions: zauberflote

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
More hugs @JoKalsbeek ! Ah yes the ER with Mom. I am so glad your mum got to come home the same night. Of COURSE you needed chocolate! I don’t know RH either, but I am only preD and would have had the exact same shivering shaking plus heart bouncing around like a superball. I would have chalked it up to exactly what @SaskiaKC said. I once ate nearly half a homemade cherry pie while sitting a hospital shift with Mom- you are soooo not alone! Stress was getting so bad that we drastically moved her 600 miles to be in my hometown. Chocolate galore from all that travel stress was what gave me my first ever A1c of 6.5/48. I am much happier now she’s nearby, and am having no problem with the LC/sortaHF way of life.
I’m thinking you’ll be fine tomorrow!