Anyone here on low carb doing for long time?

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone,
I have few doubts on low carb diet. I am trying to understand if there are any complications for doing low carb diet for long term?
Do you prefer going keto or just low carb?
If low then, then much low on carbs?
What are challenges you have faced socially with this type of diet.?
Do you find it sustainable for long term.?
How long you have been on low carb?
Please share your valuable experiences, there are lot of conflicting and confusing studies on internet.

No complication for me, everything better including weight, blood pressue, cholestral and blood glucose
I wish I had gone keto and probably will try it at some point but low carb is easier for my lifestyle at the moment as my partner does all the cooking.
Started out at around 100g now 3 days 80 4 days when working more flexible up to 100g
I have a real ale micro brewery and tiny pub very close by which I have never visited
Yes I expect to eat lower carb for the rest of my life
7 years

It is very difficult to conduct proper studies on nutrition which is why there is conflicting studies on almost every way of eating. So without the science guarantee you have to ask yourself does what you eat make you feel stronger, happier and healthier?

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
I am so not able to resist carbs. When I go to party and I see roti and dal I break. I am so not able to continue for more then two days. I was able resist it for one month when I really wanted to loose weight. But after that I fail every time. I do low carb for two days then I would eat carbs.
On Low Carb you are allowed to eat some carb, just not too much of it.

Reactions: zauberflote

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I started eating low carb back in the early 1970s, and would have continued it if not for my doctors all being dead against it, but I know that if I eat under 50 gm of carbs a day I feel fine, I can lose weight have more energy and generally cope with life much better.
High carb low calorie low fat make me feel dreadful, and if I were to go back to it I would probably just collapse - I was close to that several times when trying to comply with the diet sheets I had.

Reactions: zauberflote

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You have to make a decision - low carb, blood glucose in range and health OR eat what you desire, blood glucose too high and early death. It gets easier as you stick with it. I don't eat with my family in order to avoid their disapproval of my diet and also because I don't want the grandkids saying "Gramma's not eating everything, so why should I?"

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Five years and never been healthier!

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Veryanxious I’ve not been LC for long - a few months. But the benefits to me in that time have made it easy to stick with. I have been vegetarian (lacto-ovo-fish-o) for 45 years, with the odd piece of chicken or turkey when out and it appears to be the best choice available. I think red meat or pork would make me physically ill...so I do lots of plant protein as well as the usual dairy and egg suspects.

With ZERO exercise I lost almost 20 lbs in 2 months. I’ve started back walking, and am taking fewer carbs (sorry, I don’t count after I know a food is acceptable, simply do portion control) than when I started, with more fat. The weight loss has slown down, but as I’m just over what I weighed in my wedding dress 38 yrs ago, I’m not complaining. I love being able to get into all those skinny smaller sizes, and having clothes drape over me instead of me filling them out all the way. So vanity will play a part in sticking with this.
I don’t feel deprived, as I eat tons of food. I am too old to have any social qualms! Someone up there said it’s no more difficult than being vegetarian, and I will agree. I always brought my own food; now it’s slightly different food I bring. And at a potluck, I make sure I cook something I will eat, along with that batch of brownies!
I’m nearly 67, so just plain do not want to be branded diabetic in the American health care system, where everyone presumes since they have M. D. after their name, they know what’s best for little old me! Yet another reason for making LC more fat a way of life.

Reactions: ianpspurs

potatohead66

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am so not able to resist carbs. When I go to party and I see roti and dal I break. I am so not able to continue for more then two days. I was able resist it for one month when I really wanted to loose weight. But after that I fail every time. I do low carb for two days then I would eat carbs.
Buffets are quite hard to resist!!! I find I have to prepare at all times otherwise there are too many temptations out there. This applies everyday and at every mealtime. If i have the right food with me im happy to eat it and dont miss carbs, if I dont have the right food with me I can find it really hard to find the right types of food on the go (garages, service stations etc)

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
1. Low Carb for getting on for 4 years
2. Don't waste time counting Carbs.....I just don't eat many
3. No issues socially, no reason why there should be
4. Can't see why is would be unsustainable. It's normal. Eating a lot of carbs would be abnormal for me.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Buffets are quite hard to resist!!! I find I have to prepare at all times otherwise there are too many temptations out there. This applies everyday and at every mealtime. If i have the right food with me im happy to eat it and dont miss carbs, if I dont have the right food with me I can find it really hard to find the right types of food on the go (garages, service stations etc)
Service stations that have M&S Simply Food are really helpful. Try rollitos (cheese “cigars” wrapped in ham (3 variatons of), cooked bacon strips, mi i peppers filled with cheese, various cold meats, pots of hard boiled eggs, etc. Most are 3 for £7. You should check them out.

Reactions: potatohead66

Glink

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't know if 3 years is a long time or not, but I've been eating LC for about 3 1/2 now, I guess. When I started I was very low carb, like 25g/day. Now I am higher but still "low" as in 75-100g/day. I still don't know what's the "best" diet for me, but I know I definitely have trouble with blood sugars if I eat too much carb, especially things like rice.

I already didn't go out to eat much, but when I do stick to salads and a glass of wine, no longer potatoes and beer. I never had much of a sweet tooth, but used to bake a lot (like make my own bread). My biggest challenges tend to be cultural holidays when I have to decide whether/how much of my traditional foods to eat. (I also have some food allergies that make it challenging, but hopefully that's not applicable to you!)

I have gotten better at having just a little bit of something, when before I would eat generous slices of homemade, whole grain bread and think it was okay because it was "healthy" food, now if I have bread it is a small slice of low carb toast with something fatty on top like almond butter or avocado.

Carol.R

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, I've been low carb for 2 years. Less than 20g carbs per day. Really enjoying real food eg meat, fish, chicken and eggs with veg or salad. I use butter, lard, coconut oil and olive oil. Also salt up with Redmond Real Salt. The food is so tasty. I've lost 4.5 stone, reduced my HbA1c to 33, HDL up to 1.8 and triglycerides down to 0.6. I won't be going back to cereals, grains and sugar. I feel so much better.
What is a typical day’s diet ? I have been looking at doing this diet for a few months but have yet to set sail .... any advice ?

JoycieW

What is a typical day’s diet ? I have been looking at doing this diet for a few months but have yet to set sail .... any advice ?
Today I had an omelette with cheese for breakfast, cold meat and salad for lunch, roast chicken including skin and kale for dinner. Most meals are meat, fish, chicken or eggs with veg or salad. Dark chocolate is my treat or nuts or cheese. And the occasional red wine.

TwoRivers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Obesity.
I've been going now for over a year and a half and have lost somewhere between 32 and 35 kilos, come off all diabetes medication, got back into suits not worn for a quarter of a century. The diet is relatively easy provided one is not exposed to temptation at parties and the weight melted during the first six months. During the second and third six months periods, I lost 12 kilos which is much slower but still encouraging. I recognize that I am not yet thin, just not grotesquely obese any more, and have some way to go before reaching my target weight. I have dramatically reduced the additional foods I used to eat during the first six months -- when weight loss was very fast but I also ate a good deal more than I do now. Cheese etc in particular. I have stopped that as I definitely don't lose weight if calory input is too high.
I stick to below 40g of carbohydrates a day and don't find that difficult, but the problem for me -- with perhaps weak kidneys -- is to keep protein consumption down. I find it really hard to hold protein down within the recommended range of 0.75g-1g per kilo of body weight a day. How do people not on diets ever manage to eat only that amount? I am switching away from meat, eggs, cheese, etc to green vegetables but this means a slightly higher level of carbs in exchange for the lower proteins. I have regular blood tests and HbA1c is fine. Never have potaoes, rice, pastry, cereals etc. Alcohol only on one occasion described below. I walk several miles every day. The main slight drawback is I still feel some hunger, but basically it is a healthy and happy way of life. A real contrast with the picture before I started.
My body still would like to drive my weight back up -- it must be my ghrelins, those hunger hormones which keep making me hungry. They want to take me back to where I was. Or you could say I am naturally just a greedy person.
So at Christmas I did an experiment and reverted to drinking whisky and one glass (18.7cl) of wine, Turkey, stuffing plus several mince pies, brandy butter, and a miniature Christmas pudding, all this over one and a half days only.The intake was much more than I normally eat but less than I would have done in the old days. But the results were horrific. Blood sugar went up a bit but not too much (6.2 compared to high 4s or low 5s) , but my weight shot up several kilos literally overnight. End of experiment and back weighing food again. Result: though it has taken a week, my weight is now down where it started two weeks ago but I have missd my year end targets. It was a useful experience because it confirms that the low carb life has to be for life and I am happy with that.
But reading those case histories of people who lost more than 50kg or 60kg, I do wonder how long it took them to do it and if they were doing something I am not. I am resigned to probably losing less than 10kg ın 2019, but I will go marching on (literally!). I would suggest that all Type Two diabetics consider doing the same. In my experience there is no downside and massive rewards. My main recommendation, measure or weigh everything, keep a record on an app, and see what you are doing and what the results are over time.

Last edited:

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been low carbing more or less since I was diagnosed in 2009 ,I am a skinny type 2 so losing weight was not a problem I have to eat lots of good fat to maintain my weight .Breakfast is usually low carb toast with lots of cheese and Marmite and an avocado ,lunch home made soup ,or egg mayonnaise or tuna mayonnaise with salad and nuts snacks cheese and nuts Evening meal stir fries ,meat or fish veg with butter Bolognese with caulli or courgettes instead of pasta lasagne with a layer of celeriac instead of pasta(other layers are pasta for husband )..Weekend roast has celeriac and swede roasties for me, lots of veg Puds are full fat yoghurt double cream ,with berries or half a satsuma ,evening snacks walnuts and blue cheese with a glass (or 2) of red wine .Very dark chocolate The only problem I have had is with buffet type meals but I graze the salad trimmings and take the middle out of sandwiches ,take the pastry off pork pies if desperate !!
Carol

Reactions: Sue192

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone,
I have few doubts on low carb diet. I am trying to understand if there are any complications for doing low carb diet for long term?
Do you prefer going keto or just low carb?
If low then, then much low on carbs?
What are challenges you have faced socially with this type of diet.?
Do you find it sustainable for long term.?
How long you have been on low carb?
Please share your valuable experiences, there are lot of conflicting and confusing studies on internet.

Thanks.
Hi I have been doing a low carb healthy fat way of eating since late 2010, so over 8 years now, so far its working and keeping my BG levels at a acceptable level and I am medication free.. I am also a vegetarian, I do eat dairy & eggs. At the start I ate to my meter and measured everything! Once I had established how many carbs I could eat and keep my blood glucose levels where I wanted them I maintained that way of eating.
Every one is an individual and we will all have a different level of carbs we can consume before our BG levels go up.
I haven't had any complications apart from having to ensure I eat enough fat or I lose too much weight. A positive was the effect on my PMT - so much better - virtually symptom free, wish I had now that years ago.

Since I am a life-long vegetarian I am used to working around a menu when eating out or at social functions. If you eat meat/fish then you should find much of a problem, as a veggie following low carb I will often order a couple of side dishes such as salad, mixed veg etc. Its easier now as things like spiralised veg are often available as an alternative to pasta. At work events I pop a small bag of mixed nuts in my bag so if its just sandwiches I can eat my nuts or have a fast day. For parties I will take something low carb and there is generally a salad and cheese on a buffet. If its a wedding or similar I order the vegetarian meal and my family swap the high carb stuff for their low carb veg sides etc (or they eat most of it - not like I am going to starve if I miss a meal!)
My one piece of advise - eat to your meter :)

TwoRivers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Obesity.
I have been low carbing more or less since I was diagnosed in 2009 ,I am a skinny type 2 so losing weight was not a problem I have to eat lots of good fat to maintain my weight .Breakfast is usually low carb toast with lots of cheese and Marmite and an avocado ,lunch home made soup ,or egg mayonnaise or tuna mayonnaise with salad and nuts snacks cheese and nuts Evening meal stir fries ,meat or fish veg with butter Bolognese with caulli or courgettes instead of pasta lasagne with a layer of celeriac instead of pasta(other layers are pasta for husband )..Weekend roast has celeriac and swede roasties for me, lots of veg Puds are full fat yoghurt double cream ,with berries or half a satsuma ,evening snacks walnuts and blue cheese with a glass (or 2) of red wine .Very dark chocolate The only problem I have had is with buffet type meals but I graze the salad trimmings and take the middle out of sandwiches ,take the pastry off pork pies if desperate !!
Carol
Can you say what the results of this diet have been in blood sugar terms? Have you reduced medication for example? And it would be interesting to know how many grams of carbohydrate you take each day. It sounds like probably 40g or 50g Yes I too take the middle out of sandwiches and (on the very rare occasions I eat them) discard the pie pastry on the pork pie. Somehow that always seems one of the less glorious moments on a low carb diet, though it is obviously the right thing to do. Good luck!

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Service stations that have M&S Simply Food are really helpful. Try rollitos (cheese “cigars” wrapped in ham (3 variatons of), cooked bacon strips, mi i peppers filled with cheese, various cold meats, pots of hard boiled eggs, etc. Most are 3 for £7. You should check them out.
Have had those little ham and cheese rolls when stuck for something to eat, the strong cheese means you cant eat them too quickly.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can you say what the results of this diet have been in blood sugar terms? Have you reduced medication for example? And it would be interesting to know how many grams of carbohydrate you take each day. It sounds like probably 40g or 50g Yes I too take the middle out of sandwiches and (on the very rare occasions I eat them) discard the pie pastry on the pork pie. Somehow that always seems one of the less glorious moments on a low carb diet, though it is obviously the right thing to do. Good luck!
I had m HBA1c down to 43 ,I don't count carbs as such I know what spikes me now but probably about 40 to 50 g
I had one bad experience of eating out when we were visiting our daughter and some of her friends had invited us to tea ,it was afternoon tea ,white rolls with ham ,a little egg mayonnaise, crisps and cakes .I didn't know this couple and the last thing I wanted to do was embarras my daughter so I put some of the egg mayonnaise in a roll on the ham and ate it very slowly !! My Bgs were over 19 when we got back about 4 hours later
Carol

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Its not hard, dip your toe in and have a go.
or look at the thread: What did you eat yesterday?
This morning had full fat greek yoghurt about 120ml, with 80g mixed berries, stirred in a tiny drizzle of honey. Also had a dozen almonds, the natural ones with the brown skin on, they are to increase the protein, fat and calcium content. Had tea with semi-skimmed milk, (really dislike whole milk)
lunch was vegetable soup, no bread, although I could have had a slice if hungry.
dinner we had salmon fillets, fried in butter on a mixed stirfryof leeks, cabbage and onions, flavoured with mustard seeds, a few chilliflakes, and nigella seeds. Also some steamed broccolli. My husband had potato, I chose not to, but again could have had small portion. Instead later had cheese with a couple of crackers.
Hope this helps you decide.

My advice would be to buy, or borrow a copy of the Carb and Calorie Counter book. Seems a faff at first, but you soon get to know the items you use often. The photographs of food in portions are really useful.