Regular moderate exercise log

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Final day off work today. Clocked up 11 miles at a brisk pace.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
13.4k steps today all at my own best pace. I can't be the only one who will never be able to do this brisk pace but surely our best has to be good enough - can't be a case of brisk 4 mph or don't bother? Also, some of the rutted, heavy mud tracks don't help. Ducked out of weights and exercise bike today having checked bp and found it low.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
13.4k steps today all at my own best pace. I can't be the only one who will never be able to do this brisk pace but surely our best has to be good enough - can't be a case of brisk 4 mph or don't bother? Also, some of the rutted, heavy mud tracks don't help. Ducked out of weights and exercise bike today having checked bp and found it low.
Depends what you want mate. Slower is more fat burning zone, whereas faster is geared more fitness and heart health.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Depends what you want mate. Slower is more fat burning zone, whereas faster is geared more fitness and heart health.
I'm thinking the HIIT I can do on exercise bike will compensate as far as possible. My other query is around weights. I am more likely to do higher reps than heavy loads. Hoping that will be better than none at all.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm thinking the HIIT I can do on exercise bike will compensate as far as possible. My other query is around weights. I am more likely to do higher reps than heavy loads. Hoping that will be better than none at all.
Form, mental fortitude and focus are the most important. I have had 3 injuries in the last year. 2 have been connecting tissue, which I have not allowed time to get used to the weights (even though the muscle was strong enough) and the last I have just recovered from which was just stupid, I jumped on the leg curl machine, did settle into the seat, raised the weight and aggravated a tendon. I effectively performed a leg curl with a straight leg and no support behind the knee just by rushing. On all of these injuries I have worked around them - all were unnecessary and avoidable, by showing respect and patience.

With higher reps you can still get hypertrophy when you feel good, by getting close to fatigue. Good mix with the HiiT on a bike, again the easiest to control. Well done.

Reactions: ianpspurs

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
"Brisk" for me is if I've managed more than 6500 steps in an hour, or have covered more than 3 miles in an hour. Somewhere in there, I'll've done some a bit faster and a bit slower. But, I'm not fussed about what speed I'm doing to make it "brisk".

My walking is not always going for a walk to see how fast I can walk, it's all the day to day stuff of life around it, so there will be shopping of various weights to carry, or work bags on the commute walking.

Whatever I do in the way of physical activity is always going to be better than doing nothing!

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
"Brisk" for me is if I've managed more than 6500 steps in an hour, or have covered more than 3 miles in an hour. Somewhere in there, I'll've done some a bit faster and a bit slower. But, I'm not fussed about what speed I'm doing to make it "brisk".

My walking is not always going for a walk to see how fast I can walk, it's all the day to day stuff of life around it, so there will be shopping of various weights to carry, or work bags on the commute walking.

Whatever I do in the way of physical activity is always going to be better than doing nothing!
I mainly use walking strategically now. Initially every walk was about getting below 12 minute miles for up to 5. Now I go full out like that maybe once a month. Most walks are an initial wake up in the morning at about two thirds max. Then always as much as possible after dinner as this lowers bg and aids digestion for me. I am going for a 45 minute walk now-ish for 2 reasons, I went to London today to get some private health tests and didn't want my cortisol up and I watched the Liverpool Man City game so missed my walking window.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree @Japes , any physical activity must be better than nothing.
Haven’t topped 7k steps the last couple of days as I’m looking after grandchildren and it is bitterly cold so a quick walk to the park is all we’ve done.
I have continued with my beginners weights in the evening though. I’m up to 30 mins ( following HASfit on Youtube) strength building workout now using my medium weights. Still only 1kg but its taking a while to reverse the muscle wastage I experienced through illness, it feels like a workout to me so I guess that’s good.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have continued with my beginners weights in the evening though. I’m up to 30 mins ( following HASfit on Youtube) strength building workout now using my medium weights. Still only 1kg but its taking a while to reverse the muscle wastage I experienced through illness, it feels like a workout to me so I guess that’s good.

That’s brilliant!

Reactions: DJC3

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
12k+ steps today. All sorts of odd niggles since Christmas Eve so satisfied with that.

Reactions: Goonergal

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. Long walk along canals in London today. Totted up 23k steps. Enjoying a nice warm cuppa now.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Very impressive steps @Goonergal. Mine will be 14.5k today. Also, far from enjoying the jelly and thick cream I had a couple of hours ago it feels like a very big mistake.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
far from enjoying the jelly and thick cream I had a couple of hours ago it feels like a very big mistake.

I find the sugar free jelly too sweet. Made up with half cream and half water and eaten with more cream it becomes acceptable but a waste of good cream in my opinion.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I find the sugar free jelly too sweet. Made up with half cream and half water and eaten with more cream it becomes acceptable but a waste of good cream in my opinion.
Jelly was fine. The cream was very much wrong for me - 2 teaspoons ruined any chance of more exercise.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Very active day today. 1.5 hours of walking football plus additional 13.9k steps. Having been up since 4am now feeling v sleepy.

Reactions: ianpspurs

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Felt the need to stretch so took a yoga class and walked there (45 minutes).
Blood sugar rose to 10.2 from 5.7 but this was better than the 6 mmol spike that happened when I did weights on Saturday.
My bike died recently and I actually miss the 30 minute commute to work up a hill and the end of work feeling as I freewheel home. Looking forward to getting my Cycle to Work scheme voucher !