Type 1'stars R Us

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Knikki and @smc4761 were you on grams of carbs when diagnosed? I can remember being given a packet of cards with different foods on and there "Portion" value. I had to have 4 "portions" for breakfast at 8am 1 "portion" at 11am 5 "portions" at 1 pm 1 "portion" and at 6pm 5 "portions" and possibly a portion at 8pm before bed. Every diabetic appointment the cards and values were changed. HOW did we survive lol

@porl69 I was on grammes of carbs and for almost 30 years i stuck pretty much rigidly to this. 60 gammes of carbs for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and 20 grammes of carbs for morning afternoon and evening snacks. I was never told to vary the amount of insulin i took, though around year 2000 think i did start to adjust insulin slightly but never took correction doses

Dont get me wrong even though I was only supposed to be taking 60 grammes of carbs on many occasions, I would go way way way over that. I can remember, I think, going out on a Friday night for years downing 8 pints of beer then going for a Indian

On the plus side i am still here, god knows how. How i survived without having blood test strips, i have no idea. I never go anywhere now without my BG meter or now my Libre. i am pretty much reliant on it as guide.

I have this mindset at times, when i can convince myself i have a low BG, no matter how high this may be. I do a lot of walking to very remote places where i dont see anyone for hours. On numerous occasions i have got myself into a real state where I am convinced i about to go hypo. A quick test however can have me with a BG of 15 plus

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mmm, the absolutely fantastic taste of food while hypo. Got breakfast timing wrong (exciting parcels to deal with), so went a bit low. Eating was wonderful, so tempting to just carry on. The worst bit of the hypo is the damp clothes (cold sweat) in a cold house, which are taking a while to warm up.

Re the various ranty posts - have I been lucky by just reading the T1D sub-forum? There's not much kookiness on here.

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Interesting discussion. I was diagnosed in 1976, and all I can remember now about my diabetes management is all the bits that went wrong. I suppose there must have been bits that went right, or I probably wouldn't be here, but I can't seem to remember them.

It's interesting. I suppose we were given so many warnings, and very little recognition given to doing things right, that it's likely that the bad bits will be remembered more than the bits that went right, but it does feel weird.

Anyway, we survived, sadly quite a few didn't, and it's good that it's getting easier to manage, but there's a long way to go.

I just think everyone has to deal with it in their own way, I've had absurd arguments about not eating fruit, and I have my doubts about very low carbs being a good thing over the longer term. But I have reduced my carb intake. a bit, since joining the forum, and getting the libre, or I think I have, though sometimes I calculate, and include the carbs eaten for hypos and think it's probably the same amount. But anyway...................it's an issue that will continue to be debated, for a log time, I suspect.

Colin of Kent

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I work in an office, at a sit/stand desk, Mon-Thu 9-5. I have an alarm on my phone for 4.15pm every workday to do a fingerstick so I'm primed for the drive home. So today the alarm goes, and I get 4.9... I do another and it's 5.3. Get in! ;)

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I did have to laugh once my lovely T2 student had left the room today. I had been checking with the Birthday Students that they still wanted the cakes they'd enthusiastically chosen before the holidays.

"Don't forget a No-Sugar one" sheepish looking T2 Student said when I had finished. I kept a very straight face as he then went on to tell me he was due to have his Hba1c this month, that he knew he'd over-done it before Christmas, and that he'd had a not great one the previous time. "There will always be no-sugar ones when I do the birthday cakes," I assured him.

Reactions: Colin of Kent

drahawkins_1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks :) Personally I like mornings for running, generally as my BG seems to be more stable then (normally, unlike this morning but think my bug affected it), also because I work and am a mum it's the only time of day I get to myself, I find I run easily in the morning, less to think about and more motivated too :)

Hoorah managed a run. To be honest it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be considering I’ve been drinking too much wine and eating quality street for 2 weeks!!
My sugars will be through the roof after my runs for a week or so until I get back into a routine. Anyone else see that? Once I’m back running 3 or 4 times a week I’ll be ok but these first 2 or 3 after a break I need a couple units to get me back to normal.

Reactions: porl69 and Diakat

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Good feeling @drahawkins_1973 Well done :)

Oddly enough my BG levels have sky rocketed since my run this morning, been hanging around 14 even with big corrections, it's either that or the tummy bug i've got or the cannula set change I did this morning and picked a bad site area. Who knows, going home shortly and will change the set in case it's that.

Reactions: porl69

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Thanks :) Personally I like mornings for running, generally as my BG seems to be more stable then (normally, unlike this morning but think my bug affected it), also because I work and am a mum it's the only time of day I get to myself, I find I run easily in the morning, less to think about and more motivated too :)
I like mornings for running to the bathroom and then running back to bed @Juicyj you're amazing to go out in the cold

Reactions: Kim Possible

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My sugars will be through the roof after my runs for a week or so until I get back into a routine. Anyone else see that? Once I’m back running 3 or 4 times a week I’ll be ok but these first 2 or 3 after a break I need a couple units to get me back to normal.

Runs always lower my sugars, as indeed does all exercise. I'll normally run for about an hour, once a week. Other days are cycling for a similar time or walking for longer. I'm going at a steady pace for all of these, not intervals etc.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Did another walk today, 3.5 miles - and dropped 3mmol with no IOB - my basal rate at that time of day is usually spot on. So if I do that again, I’ll have to lose a unit of insulin in the hour or two before I start, or just put on a 0% rate for when I’m out. Hmm. Or eat chocolate.

6EEE6508-659B-4F7A-915D-7D38D002BCE0.jpeg

Not much else to report, I’m hoping to be teaching all next week. Out on first responder call tomorrow, be interesting to see what the day has in store!

K

Knikki

Evening All. very late on parade today :)

Well a strange calm and peace has descended upon me after yesterdays little rant, well until I got to work and tried to config to some stupid software and after that I was basically trying to summon an old one to consume the place in fire and demons...........Didn't work :rolleyes:

k1w5ex.jpg

BS wise running on the low side all day, mainly around the 4 mark and sitting at a 7, which is not bad in the over all scheme of things. :meh:

@porl69 I remember the "carb counting" and "exchanges" thing they tried at some point but I can't ever remember using it.

@Colin of Kent Bm Stix? were they the ones you peed on of stuck blood drop on and wait for the colour change? I do remember using the blood ones and, my then other half, was nagging me to test, so I did and was wondering why the colour of the thing was not changing, until she noticed that I was wiping blood all over the container, not the stick, yep was hypoing :rolleyes:
:hilarious:

On a side note the mention of syringes etc I used these up until 1999 - 2000
nl3dqq.jpg

These were positive luxury compared the glass ones and the other needles. However saying that using these you had to draw up the required amount of insulin from a 5 mil bottle, nothing discreet about it and yes I stood in plenty of toilets using these. You had to because image the rumpus you could create doing it in a restaurant or bar?

Pens and small needles are defiantly the way forward.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
nl3dqq.jpg

These were positive luxury compared the glass ones and the other needles. However saying that using these you had to draw up the required amount of insulin from a 5 mil bottle, nothing discreet about it and yes I stood in plenty of toilets using these. You had to because image the rumpus you could create doing it in a restaurant or bar?

I found the action of the plunger smoother than the scraping resistance on the glass models..

But I was caught at college changing room using one of these & the rumour went round I was a "junkie."
The memory of my "bad boy" rep must have stuck...

I went to a reunion organised on Facebook a few years back. & was told by one attendant I looked well & were glad to see I'd kicked the habit.. I informed them that I hadn't actually "cleaned up, I'm still a diabetic." o_O

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Well a strange calm and peace has descended upon me after yesterdays little rant, well until I got to work and tried to config to some stupid software and after that I was basically trying to summon an old one to consume the place in fire and demons...........Didn't work :rolleyes:

k1w5ex.jpg

BS wise running on the low side all day, mainly around the 4 mark and sitting at a 7, which is not bad in the over all scheme of things. :meh:

@porl69 I remember the "carb counting" and "exchanges" thing they tried at some point but I can't ever remember using it.

@Colin of Kent Bm Stix? were they the ones you peed on of stuck blood drop on and wait for the colour change? I do remember using the blood ones and, my then other half, was nagging me to test, so I did and was wondering why the colour of the thing was not changing, until she noticed that I was wiping blood all over the container, not the stick, yep was hypoing :rolleyes:

nl3dqq.jpg

These new fangled plastic syringes were wonderful when we first got them after years of using glass syringes, which i remember keeping in a hard plastic tube which I had to fill with industrial methalyted spirit. The needles were the size of a small javelin.

Even the insulins has improved dramatically in recent years, from mainly Pork insulin to "human" insulin as it was first called.

When the first blood finger test came out, maybe early 90's to do a finger test we had to use this horrendous contraption

Attachments

• worst_lancet_device.jpg
    worst_lancet_device.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 117
  • worst_lancet_device.jpg
    worst_lancet_device.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 121

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@smc4761 ,

I had one of these contraptions.. I couldn't be bothered with it. I used to drive the lancet home by hand.
My DSN at the time was appalled.. Lol.

I got an infection on my finger whilst traveling through south India.. Back in 1995.? The above technique saved me from serious infection as the puss ran up the side of the didgit.
Pierce, sqeeze & bathe n bottled water & Dettol.

Not advisable. Seek medical advice.

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
These new fangled plastic syringes were wonderful when we first got them after years of using glass syringes, which i remember keeping in a hard plastic tube which I had to fill with industrial methalyted spirit. The needles were the size of a small javelin.

Even the insulins has improved dramatically in recent years, from mainly Pork insulin to "human" insulin as it was first called.

When the first blood finger test came out, maybe early 90's to do a finger test we had to use this horrendous contraption
Ahhh the good old fashioned ....................... no not the good old fashioned

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other

k1w5ex.jpg

nl3dqq.jpg

I had to do just that the other week in a car park in Cardiff. Pod failed and I’d underestimated the amount of insulin in my vial (not enough to activate my new one, looked enough, but hey). I carry a spare pod and one of those very syringes with a 12mm needle in my bag to cover most eventualities. Bit tricky eyeballing just one unit though :D

Reactions: porl69

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've said this before on this forum @Mel dCP .

Bearing in mind my personal style & experience makes me a bit of a dinosaur to the more recently acquainted to insulin dependency.
There's a bit of an "animal" in me wants to draw up insulin from a vial & administer with a gert needle, for old times sake.. :)

... Though never more shall I ever pee in a tin cup. ;)