What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning...an odd day yesterday...set of for the anti-coagulant clinic feeling confident (that'll teach me) expecting a good result...unfortunately my INR levels were twice what they should have been...in addition to the finger prick test had to have a venous sample taken...I dread those ... at the first mention of one my veins retreat & go into hiding...first go nothing...second go nothing and I bled all over the floor...third go nothing...success on the fourth attempt...I can't complain too much it has been worse...woke to a not surprising 6.3

Good grief! That's horrible. Even worse than my first A1C test. I had a friend once who had hiding veins.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I reckon you are right, HbA1c is just part of the picture. It’d be nice if it was a little lower to give me a bit of wriggle room but I’m not upset about it, just a bit frustrated it didn’t match my daily averages (5.7) more closely. Did you get anywhere with looking at haematocrit and mcv etc?
The whole picture - wolf pack as @rhubarb73 says - is increasingly becoming more important to me. Haematocrit etc normal (for Norfolk) so maybe I let sleeping dogs lie. (My daily average was 5.2 this time and 5.1 in June). Happy to share lipids profile if you want (PM?) - was goodish as a benchmark.
O/T but may be part of this: For some time I have been able to wear a sheepskin coat I had made to measure over 40 years ago - before starting teaching. This size/shape is me as I should be and maybe bg level etc are where I should be. Also, very interesting how my sleep has improved markedly with the no testing regime. Take care - you are definitely in my all time favourite team. (There aren't 11 in there yet)

Last edited:
Reactions: ziggy_w and DJC3

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Quote for today
FB_IMG_1546372929752.jpg

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So glad you’re sleep pattern has improved! Perhaps the stress of testing and striving for a certain fbg was part of the problem @ianpspurs

Edited to tag who I’m actually replying to :banghead::banghead:

Last edited:
Reactions: Freema

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So glad you’re sleep pattern has improved! Perhaps the stress of testing and striving for a certain fbg was part of the problem @ianpspurs

Edited to tag who I’m actually replying to :banghead::banghead:
Thanks @Emma_369. I am pulling things apart ATM. No coffee Jan and Dry Jan which are quite easy for me. Drinking cocoa more than any time in my life (also wearing PJs - too much info?) see what happens when I reintroduce various elements.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The whole picture - wolf pack as @rhubarb73 says - is increasingly becoming more important to me. Haematocrit etc normal (for Norfolk) so maybe I let sleeping dogs lie. (My daily average was 5.2 this time and 5.1 in June). Happy to share lipids profile if you want (PM?) - was goodish as a benchmark.
O/T but may be part of this: For some time I have been able to wear a sheepskin coat I had made to measure over 40 years ago - before starting teaching. This size/shape is me as I should be and maybe bg level etc are where I should be. Also, very interesting how my sleep has improved markedly with the no testing regime. Take care - you are definitely in my all time favourite team. (There aren't 11 in there yet)

Bless you!
Brilliant news about your coat, how wonderful!
I’m glad your sleep has improved, I think I might stop testing quite so much - I eat pretty much the same sort of things and stressing about a couple of tenths of mmol is not helpful. And, as it doesn’t seem to reflect reflect the lab test there’s not a lot of point. Will still do a pre and post jab if it’s a new type of meal though.
I’m going to take a leaf out of your book and let sleeping dogs lie ( after tomorrow) and keep trying to move about a bit. I bought a home bp testing thing a few months ago and that’s fine. I’m not concerned about the lipids - when I put the figures in the calculator @Bubbsie posted the ratios were all ideal and the individual numbers were normal apart from the total cholesterol which was ‘borderline’. As a lady of a certain age I’m happy that it’s slightly higher than the so called norm.
Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all. 6.2 today which is ok I guess as I’m feeling very anxious about my 6monthly post cancer scan tomorrow.

Had HbA1c results back yesterday - 39 ok but bit disappointed its not a little lower. MySugr gives an estimated 33.3. @ianpspurs I share your frustration with the discrepancy between finger prick and lab test.
Also had a phone call from my surgery to come in as my cholesterol is high. Looked on Patient Access and although my total is higher than they like, my HDL, trigs and all the ratios are good so I shall go but not be intimidated into anything. The particular GP I’m seeing once misdiagnosed my granddaughter’s itchy scalp as psoriasis when actually she’d caught nits!!!

Good to see you around again @johnpol
@Bubbsie your blood test sounds nightmarish
@Ziggy2017 your new bed sounds fab. Happy snoozing.

Sorry your results weren’t what you wanted. It’s still a good score, but so disappointing not to match the prediction.

Will be thinking of you tomorrow- do hope it all goes well.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good grief! That's horrible. Even worse than my first A1C test. I had a friend once who had hiding veins.
Thank you Saskia...I have a reasonably good pain threshold however blood tests are another matter...I almost always have problems with them...and the Warfarin doesn't help with that...but as I with only four think I got away lightly:)

Reactions: Freema

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks @Bubbsie it’s good to go armed with all the info you can get hold of I think so at least you can have a sensible discussion ( with any luck) rather than just being told to ‘take these pills’
DJ my GP proposed statins...I discussed it with him & declined...my total cholesterol is higher than yours but my ratios are good...the breakdown is so important.

Reactions: DJC3

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Was 5.5 this morning, have only started testing this week...iam testing before and 2 hrs I eat and before bed, is that to much?
KM there's no such thing as too much or too little testing...you test as much as you need to & want to...it's a great indicator of how our diabetes reacts to the food we eat...how we react to stress & anxiety...when we are unwell...since you've only just started testing I wouldn't say that's too much...when you are a little more into your diabetes you may feel more comfortable with testing less...5.5 is a great waking level.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@SaskiaKC That's dreadful!! but a dreadfully good idea:hilarious:

Thanks -- may have to make it a pajama party as well since @PenguinMum and @Cumberland and now @ianpspurs have got me wanting new fleecy pajamas as well as new glasses.

I've decided to just wear my old blue jeans with a belt now instead of buying a new pair so that's about $25 saved to put towards the fleecy PJs or the glasses.

Or some champagne. :D

What I want are Levi's 501s but they don't seem to make them for women anymore and they're ridiculously expensive anyway.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks -- may have to make it a pajama party as well since @PenguinMum and @Cumberland and now @ianpspurs have got me wanting new fleecy pajamas as well as new glasses.

I've decided to just wear my old blue jeans with a belt now instead of buying a new pair so that's about $25 saved to put towards the fleecy PJs or the glasses.

Or some champagne. :D

What I want are Levi's 501s but they don't seem to make them for women anymore and they're ridiculously expensive anyway.
I remember Levi 501s...my first jeans when I was sixteen, wore them with tight white t shirt at the youth club dancing barefoot to the Rolling Stones. How times have changed!
@DJC3 wishing you love and hugs tomo. I know you arent happy with HBA1c but I felt mine was ridiculous...didnt equate to what I expected and doesnt tell the whole story.

Reactions: Freema and DJC3

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I remember Levi 501s...my first jeans when I was sixteen, wore them with tight white t shirt at the youth club dancing barefoot to the Rolling Stones. How times have changed!
@DJC3 wishing you love and hugs tomo. I know you arent happy with HBA1c but I felt mine was ridiculous...didnt equate to what I expected and doesnt tell the whole story.
Loving the image I have of you at the youth club. Also find Stones much more to my taste than Beatles but re changing times
We can't return we can only look behind from where we came and go round and round in the circle game

Last edited:

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Loving the image I have of you at the youth club. Also find Stones much more to my taste than Beatles but re changing times
We can't return we can only look behind from where we cam and go round and round in the circle game

And I think you have noticed how the scenery changes each time we go around the circle. :)

I still do FBG test first thing in the morning but I'm not testing much before or after meals these days as basically I've learned that most of the time carbs spike me (except when they don't), and that carbs with grains spike me more than carbs without (sugary treats) -- again, except when they don't. I eat a fairly carnivorous diet except for occasional vegetables (often cole slaw), and when I get sick of meats I change to an Atkins Protein-Rich low-carb bar, or shake, which satisfies my sweet tooth without spiking my BG (except when they do).

For me it's basically simple -- no-to-little bread or other grains, very few diet sodas, all the meat/cheese/nuts I want within reason, vegetables when I can face eating them, and occasionally indulge with a small handful of dark chocolate with or without unsweetened shredded coconut. And when I can't take any more meat, a rare small bowl of oatmeal with dark chocolate, peanut butter, unsweetened shredded coconut, cinnamon, ginger, and maybe almonds.

I'm not happy with myself this way but I think it's the best I can manage right now and I'm trying to be happy about that because I'd rather be happy with myself than with somebody I'm not.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)