What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@PenguinMum I think the FBG and HBA1C have their place in that they have "currency". A more pithy post than my first one may have said my own, and I suspect many other people's, "lived experience" of this WOE is a long way from that one. People should not be surprised or dismayed if their own experience differs somewhat from that video. It is something I definitely have to tolerate in the main. This WOE is like exercise really IMHO. Some enjoy it and thrive, others just do it knowing it is for the best. Are we on the same page?
I am not sure how I feel about it all yet maybe never will. I do think circumstances have a bearing, neither of us have jobs outside the house. I would have found this woe very difficult when I worked. I have always wanted to cook/eat food I really enjoyed, as it is I am mostly trying to adapt the evening meal to suit me. Occasionally we eat completely different meals and that somehow makes me sad.
I agree the FBG and HBA1c are valuable and it is very individual. Lets just do our best to keep it going.

Reactions: jjraak

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am not sure how I feel about it all yet maybe never will. I do think circumstances have a bearing, neither of us have jobs outside the house. I would have found this woe very difficult when I worked. I have always wanted to cook/eat food I really enjoyed, as it is I am mostly trying to adapt the evening meal to suit me. Occasionally we eat completely different meals and that somehow makes me sad.
I agree the FBG and HBA1c are valuable and it is very individual. Lets just do our best to keep it going.
Probs best to end here and not hijack the thread. Not sure why I would ever expect something to live up to the publicity/advertising - very few things ever do. We very rarely eat the same meal or at the same time - that is very similar to when we worked. Take care.

Last edited:

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm stood here on the bathroom floor
Lancet poised, its blood to draw
It's such a tiresome daily chore
But one, I fear, I can't ignore
The meter's saying 6.4
It's not the most exciting score
I have it several times before
My record lately has been poor
So I should be pleased that it's not more

(somebody stop me)

Two tests diverged on a Saturday,
one 6.4, one 6.5,
and sorry that it wasn't a tie
(altho' it certainly was a "draw"),
I'm also happy mine wasn't high
for me. To me, you're doing OK,
although -- to me -- the bathroom floor
is far too cold to be standing on
for the pricking of my thumb
(err -- finger), so let me suggest
the best place for FBG tests
is warm in bed before one is up
in numbers or as in out of bed
[great line for this space] but instead
let me finish this before I'm lost
in rhyme with Shakespeare and with Frost.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Two tests diverged on a Saturday,
one 6.4, one 6.5,
and sorry that it wasn't a tie
(altho' it certainly was a "draw"),
I'm also happy mine wasn't high
for me. To me, you're doing OK,
although -- to me -- the bathroom floor
is far too cold to be standing on
for the pricking of my thumb
(err -- finger), so let me suggest
the best place for FBG tests
is warm in bed before one is up
in numbers or as in out of bed
[great line for this space] but instead
let me finish this before I'm lost
in rhyme with Shakespeare and with Frost.
The test less taken eh? Prefer Good-bye and keep cold myself.

Last edited:

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Probs best to end here and not hijack the thread. Not sure why I would ever expect something to live up to the publicity/advertising - very few things ever do. We vary rarely eat the same meal or at the same time - that is very similar to when we worked. Take care.

I have learned that the best things are the things that don't get advertised or publicized. I mean as to brands, but now that I've just typed that, I realize that among the things are love and kindness and joy and living. (I've just come off a poetry run so I'm trying to be prosaic now ...) ;)

I see TV ads all the time for cell phone providers that don't have a deal as good as the one for which I pay less than theirs. I see ads for laptops and tablets that don't work any better than my two. And I never see guitars advertised, and mine is nearly 50 years old and still going strong. :)

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.6 at 04:50 that's low for me as it's ussualy 6.4.
Started taking Casein (slow relised protein)before bed for muscle building purposes. It appiers that it lowers bs overnight as there is some insulin constant in blood I guess. Not sure if that's a good thing though2
Whether that's a good thing may depend, as far as I can understand, on whether your primary problem is insulin insufficiency or insulin resistance. Do you know? In my case, I am very under-weight and have to make a real effort not to lose more. Taking the maximum dose of Glucophage and cutting my carbs to the bone have not brought my bgs down as much as might be expected. This makes me think my primary problem is insulin insufficiency, so I could do with a bit more of the stuff!

Reactions: Chronicle_Cat

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
7.1 this morning. Had a bit of a workout with some weights last night on my 'sofa gym'! Hard doing any exercise that gets me puffed because I have cardiomyopathy, but seated low weights high reps with hand weights and ankle weights seem to give me a bit of a workout without leaving me puffing and uncomfortable. Hope everyone is having a lovely weekend. Off out to pick up my insulin now!

how well that you do some weights anyway ... so fine

Reactions: HarryBeau

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Quote for today
FB_IMG_1546372073507.jpg

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
boots western.jpg Dreamin' of my Chevy and my new blue jeans ... and my old riding boots, which I tried on today for the first time in 6 years to see how they looked with my new jeans that just arrived today. I ordered 2 sizes smaller than I'd been wearing and ... they fit! In fact there's room to spare. They are serious jeans -- good heavy denim, 5 pockets, orange stitching, copper fittings, the works. And they're smaller than my last pair!

I always preferred riding "English" but then age and injuries and anxiety all kicked in together and I got more comfortable in a western saddle because the stirrups and wider leathers gave me more foot and leg support.

These jeans have really helped encourage me to stick with low-carb eating and exercise so I'm posting the boots for y'all who help encourage me too. :)

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
View attachment 30621 Dreamin' of my Chevy and my new blue jeans ... and my old riding boots, which I tried on today for the first time in 6 years to see how they looked with my new jeans that just arrived today. I ordered 2 sizes smaller than I'd been wearing and ... they fit! In fact there's room to spare. They are serious jeans -- good heavy denim, 5 pockets, orange stitching, copper fittings, the works. And they're smaller than my last pair!

I always preferred riding "English" but then age and injuries and anxiety all kicked in together and I got more comfortable in a western saddle because the stirrups and wider leathers gave me more foot and leg support.

These jeans have really helped encourage me to stick with low-carb eating and exercise so I'm posting the boots for y'all who help encourage me too. :)
Hi Saskia, so sorry I disappeared from our correspondence. Things in my life have been difficult for a long time now and I have just not been contacting anyone at all. Lack of energy, lack of morale. I'm so pleased to read about your success and see the symbols of it.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The test less taken eh? Prefer Good-bye and keep cold myself.

I kept thinking someone had quoted that line in a Midsomer Murders episode but now I've just thought it's quoted in an Inspector Jury novel instead.

Your turn to write the poetry, BTW. :D

rhubarb73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
aubergine
Hi Saskia, so sorry I disappeared from our correspondence. Things in my life have been difficult for a long time now and I have just not been contacting anyone at all. Lack of energy, lack of morale. I'm so pleased to read about your success and see the symbols of it.
Hope you are OK A100. I remember when I first joined this forum you were welcoming, helpful, supportive and a little bit edgy and challenging (I liked that). I hope the forum can help you with your current challenges - please let us know if we can. Or just rant if you like. We’re listening.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
View attachment 30621 Dreamin' of my Chevy and my new blue jeans ... and my old riding boots, which I tried on today for the first time in 6 years to see how they looked with my new jeans that just arrived today. I ordered 2 sizes smaller than I'd been wearing and ... they fit! In fact there's room to spare. They are serious jeans -- good heavy denim, 5 pockets, orange stitching, copper fittings, the works. And they're smaller than my last pair!

Fantastic news about the new jeans and their motivational impact. Go you

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

It's a wonderful feeling when you find you fit in smaller sizes. Congratulations!

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Thank you, @Alexandra100. I'm glad to hear from you. I've missed you!

I'm very sorry things have been difficult for you. It's good to see you back on (the) board. :)

I rarely contact anyone offline anymore, it takes less energy for me to log on and read what everyone posts, and I don't have to be "up" or dressed or "on."

Oops -- in case @jjraak is reading this, I know I (and others) were begged to not post anymore in our pajamas but right now I'm properly dressed in a T-shirt and sweatpants (new but already loose) so for today I'm all correct and presentable even if not in breeches and tall boots and a white shirt with stock tie. :D

Hugs, @Alexandra100 and purrs. ^. .^