Type 1'stars R Us

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Morning all, not much to tell. Needed a correction overnight, but nothing major, going to try practising the same song all day, on my guitar, well not all day really, just in ten minute intervals, throughout the day, with long gaps in between. See if that works.
? Kumbyah!!!

Reactions: Alison54321

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Well said

Some of the extremist low carbers went all heavy on me when I said I ate a banana at breakfast once

In fairness some responses were fine but a few of their replies felt like I was being attacked
i @Cumberland, I imagine there is a ledger of fines in the basement somewhere. With enough time to think of a retort, always easier in hindsight I might have said "But is is a herb". "And Queenslanders (like @Tipetoo ) would be outraged that bananas were maligned"!!

Reactions: Cumberland

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all! It has been blowing a hooly here all night and hasn’t let up yet. Bins are all over and I’m fed up of hearing it whistle around our exposed house. Perhaps that is the reason I’ve had a hypo after breakfast. As I normally rise throughout the morning this is an anomaly. Had a cracking night though, straight as an arrow. As I’ve said before, even though we are retired, life is busy. Have something happening every day next week, so today planning on a relax day. Have a good Sunday everyone.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I suspect Kev has just got tired of the intensely low carb ethos of the forum.

Apart from the relative sanity of this thread, every other thread seems to involve variations on the themes of the current anti-vegan hate-fest, David Icke level conspiracy theories about how big pharma, dsns, government etc etc are trying to kill us all via the Eatwell plate, throwing ad hominem remarks at any doctor who publishes in good faith any research suggesting carbs in moderation are quite good, and how Bernstein is apparently admirable for telling everyone to eat no fruit ever again except avocado.

It's practically impossible to give suggestions to a newly dx'd T1 without a T2 with f*** all experience sticking their oar in saying they should immediately stop eating pasta, rice, bread because "all carbs turn to glucose". Of course they f***ing do, and I'm darned glad of it, seeing as glucose is my primary energy source. Oh no, but, but, it seems if I go down that route, I'll apparently develop "double diabetes". They've read about it in a paper.

Anyway, that's my rant for the day over, I am being called away to a nearby restaurant by a gloriously 80 carb full Scottish breakfast...

A round of applause for you, a great rant :) I lurk on here more than I post, it is so full of anti this and anti that. When someone is feeling down and out, depression, anxiousness, it doesn't make the forum a 'welcoming place' to post at times or get involved. Not knocking the diets, but the way they can be rammed down people's throats, sometimes forcefully too, makes me back off. This is forum for ALL types of diabetes and their eating requirements too.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Morning all! It has been blowing a hooly here all night and hasn’t let up yet. Bins are all over and I’m fed up of hearing it whistle around our exposed house. Perhaps that is the reason I’ve had a hypo after breakfast. As I normally rise throughout the morning this is an anomaly. Had a cracking night though, straight as an arrow. As I’ve said before, even though we are retired, life is busy. Have something happening every day next week, so today planning on a relax day. Have a good Sunday everyone.

It's windy here too, so going to put a line of washing out now. Wishing you a pleasant Sunday.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi all,
Today's kite fly at the beach ended early as an appeal against the increasing windspeed was debated and upheld.
Stumps (posts and tie-downs) were drawn. Kite fliers wrestled buoyant, mischievous kites to the ground and ungloriously stuffed them, bulging with bothersome pockets of air, into kite bags.
Kite lines being wound in causing children to squeal and laugh at some many wriggly snakes, and pets strained at their leashes to attack these viperous strands.
Seagulls reported a less than satisfactory haul of donated potato chips and decided to increase patrols of the beachfront over the next few days to recoup the shortfall.
Parking might have been at a premium except that most household seem to have co-ordinated their schedules into three phases; early to midmorning, midmorning til after lunch and mid afternoon til evening, leaving a rotating patch of empty spots.
Seagulls were punitive to those that overstayed their time.
So a less than ideal day but a maximum of 34 degrees C was well moderated by the 15 to 18 knot southerly. Sail boaties/ kite surfers and sailboarders were the beneficiaries of the day.
A request was sent upwards to ask for a less turbulent next Sunday.

Last edited:

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Well, I'm a happy bunny today. For the last seven days, my T1 buddy has actually been playing by some sort of rules for a change.

Corrections aren't randomly dropping me more than intended, meals aren't shooting me sky high.

Apart from a couple of modest dips to just below 4, a couple of 8s and 9, and one brief visit to 11, I've been 96% in a 4 to 8 range for seven days now. Hurrah, and lashings of ginger beer!

I have absolutely no idea why it's decided to take a vacation to Stable Land but here's hoping it will carry on.

Apart from tweaking my basal a bit, I've not made any major changes, although I've recently discovered Tesco Finest Fruity Flapjack Cookies, so, who knows, maybe the oats in those have some sort of low gi buffering effect.

Here's the numbers (will have to spend some time in the pub later googling what GVI and PGS is).

Screenshot_2019-01-13-11-13-42.png

Screenshot_2019-01-13-11-29-51.png

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Well, I'm a happy bunny today. For the last seven days, my T1 buddy has actually been playing by some sort of rules for a change.

Corrections aren't randomly dropping me more than intended, meals aren't shooting me sky high.

Apart from a couple of modest dips to just below 4, a couple of 8s and 9, and one brief visit to 11, I've been 96% in a 4 to 8 range for seven days now. Hurrah, and lashings of ginger beer!

I have absolutely no idea why it's decided to take a vacation to Stable Land but here's hoping it will carry on.

Apart from tweaking my basal a bit, I've not made any major changes, although I've recently discovered Tesco Finest Fruity Flapjack Cookies, so, who knows, maybe the oats in those have some sort of low gi buffering effect.

Here's the numbers (will have to spend some time in the pub later googling what GVI and PGS is).

View attachment 30626

View attachment 30627
Congrats @Scott-C, bolt the door and keep it in the stable.

Reactions: porl69

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not been on a for a few days, helping my dad laying his laminate in living room, with a very uneven floor where the old fireplace used to be. That was a struggle 10 hours later and still not finished. have had to rip it up and start again several times.

I only really look at this topic on the forum so have have no idea if there are many disagreements on other topics from mainly type 2 by the sounds of it. Think I will stick with this topic the friendliest and most helpful one there is.

Back to hopefully finish my last 3 rooms of laminate, have a good day fellow colanders

Edit by Mod

Last edited by a moderator:

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
DIY ing all done.
Granddaughter in tears:(. Last night her mum got an electric organ out for her to play with/ on. Well by 10.30 this morning we had a full rendition of ....heads, shoulders, knees and toes..... My daughter decided to video the achievement and post it on to Nanna for when she got up from bed. The playing of a “ b “ note instead of a “ d” at the end broke her heart and caused floods of tears. Spent the next 10 minutes explaining about Rome:):) then reverted to more simple examples of things taking time.
Fortunately the grandson decided to have a go on the organ. On listening to his rendition of heaven knows what we all decided that the granddaughter had nothing to worry about:).
@Scott-C . I think that rates as a perfect week. Long may it continue.:)

@helensaramay . Can almost smell your bread cooking. Cardio day for me today. Enjoy your workout :)

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

View attachment 30626

View attachment 30627

That's great Scott, well done, but if you've been 96% in target, amf 2% above, and 0% below, where were you that other 2%. In transit, maybe?

Reactions: Knikki

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
That's great Scott, well done, but if you've been 96% in target, amf 2% above, and 0% below, where were you that other 2%. In transit, maybe?

It's something to do with the way xDrip+ rounds and stores numbers.

Looking back at the daily graphs, there was two days listed as 1% below. One was an actual hypo, felt a bit lightheaded at about 3.7. The other I felt fine so it was maybe just an underread.

The Absolute #s line just below it is the number of 5 min reads, low is 10 so that's 50 mins below 4, 2.48% two spells of about 20 to 25 mins.

It was a strange week. I have spells where bg just seems to gravitate to 3 or 10 no matter what I do or how hard I work at it, whereas this week it just seemed to keep on homing in around 5 to 6 without me putting much effort into it.

Maybe the fruity flapjack cookies have cured me! Now that would rile the low carbers, must do a thread about it...

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Afternoon all, taken me two coffees just to catch up! Had a pretty intense first responder refresher training day yesterday, so didn’t have chance to pop in. Out on call this afternoon. Bloods been relatively dull over the last 24h, slight dip after dinner as the Novorapid was actually quite rapid for once - that was easily corrected with a couple of glucose tabs. It was a 19g carb meal, and I took 1.85u for it - half up front as I started to eat and the rest over an hour to avoid just that issue. Looks like I should have sone it all over that hour, maybe. Was fabulous though, tagine spiced roasted cauliflower on a bed of vegan shwarma kebab “meat” and konjac rice seasoned with ras al hanout.

335DC788-1EA1-4EBB-91BF-D4FB5B3C428C.png

I’ve stopped visiting the rest of the forum, unless I’m tagged into a post with a tech or T1 issue. Even as a Bernstein enthusiast and low carber myself, I’ve had my back put up by the attitudes of some people. Many apologies if I’ve banged on about it here and annoyed people. I’ve just been so pleased to find something that works (for me) and makes me feel good, that I’ve wanted to share it with people I like :) In the last few months, I’ve started teaching in schools, doing my first responder stuff and actually going for walks - I never felt well enough mentally or physically before I changed my food. I was literally disabled by swinging BG levels and how sick they made me, and I’ve got a whole new lease of life. Oops, there I go again. Sorry. I’m getting really fed up with the constant vegan-bashing (I’m not a vegan), and perpetual deification of bacon though.

In other news, I’ve ordered a waterproof phone case so I can take it swimming with me on a belt and still have my BG on my watch. I shall look very James Bond, albeit much fatter and more purple. After the crashes I’ve had when briskly walking, I need to monitor this stuff closely until I know what my idiot body is doing. Another science experiment. Le Sigh.

@Scott-C - that breakfast looks fantastic! I had smoked salmon and cream cheese (goat) on homemade bagels :)