Not open for further replies.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I don't blame anybody for eating Vegan foods, but what I dislike is the food companies upping the prices just because they have changed a product from Vegetarian to Vegan and it has become a top topic in the media. I sometimes do not always want meat, but to be honest just my own choice I do not like the look of ingredients that go into vegetarian foods., If I want a veggie burger I am inclined to make my own. Glamorgan veg sausages are easy to make, just veg and cheese or I will have a vegetable omelette

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
When I was looking at the Morrisons and Tesco's website for groceries, Vegan food was everywhere. What made me smile was that what used to be called vegetarian they are now calling some of their products Vegan, and guess what? They have upped their prices on Vegan foods because of a simple name change. I thought "What a con"
Many of the vegetarian products contain milk and eggs. So it’s a recipe change, not a name change. Vegan quorn ham slices are £2 a pack; the vegetarian one (contains milk) is £1.50.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I sometimes wonder who these things are aimed at. Is it vegans who miss the succulent, tasty nutritious flesh of animals or are these foodstuffs aimed at carnivores in an affort to persuade them to switch?

Either way, I know what I'm having for my tea.
Faux meat and Lab meat are ideals paid for by the Bill Gates Foundation who are funding the research I believe. The article does state that it is aimed at carnivores.(oops, I misspelt that as carbivores - LOL) I suspect there is a flexitarian following too.

As an aside, and it is my thread
This is where we are heading. Behold the new Canadian version of Eatwell with NO Dairy, No Meat on it at all.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/can.../+Media&utm_campaign=Shared+Web+Article+Links

Hotpepper20000

Faux meat and Lab meat are ideals paid for by the Bill Gates Foundation who are funding the research I believe. The article does state that it is aimed at carnivores.(oops, I misspelt that as carbivores - LOL) I suspect there is a flexitarian following too.

This is where we are heading. Behold the new Canadian version of Eatwell with NO Dairy, No Meat on it at all.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/can.../+Media&utm_campaign=Shared+Web+Article+Links
There have already been doctors and dieticians disagreeing with this version of the Canadian food guide.
But lets be fair the majority of the population didn’t follow the food guide before the change and unlikely to do so now.

Reactions: Ponchu and Oldvatr
M

Member496333

It wouldn’t surprise me in the least if countries begin taxing animal products such as meat and dairy.

More ridiculous things have happened. Such as convincing six billion people that fat is bad for them when every cell in their body is made out of it.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Processed food whether meaty or veggie based can be useful but alongside the Veganuary theme has anyone seen Tom kerridge's Fresh Start? The Real Food campaign is pushing the right messages (there's an appropriate quote to the effect that humans are the only people clever enough to manufacture our own food but the only species stupid enough to eat it) where ever you are on the spectrum from carnivore through to vegan or low to high carb.
Diets regarded as 'faddy' or self righteous always get a healthy bashing in the press and I think we are lucky enough to have the freedom of that debate. We should not be protected from being offended from others' views and let's carry on calling out ill informed headlines and advice.

Ponchu

There have already been doctors and dieticians disagreeing with this version of the Canadian food guide.
But lets be fair the majority of the population didn’t follow the food guide before the change and unlikely to do so now.

But....

There is an overarching movement for both coercion and submission.

Many young people are willing to yield

NY mayor said today that too much wealth is in “the wrong hands.”

His hands are pushing to take control.

Freedom is shrinking in all fields.

Tying cows to climate is vital to those who seek control.

Reactions: briped

Hotpepper20000

But....

There is an overarching movement for both coercion and submission.

Many young people are willing to yield

NY mayor said today that too much wealth is in “the wrong hands.”

His hands are pushing to take control.

Freedom is shrinking in all fields.

Tying cows to climate is vital to those who seek control.
All I can speak to is the response that the new food guide has received here. There is big push back from the local beef ranchers and dairy farmers.
The two twenty somethings in my life don’t give much weight to what a food guide says and happily eat meat.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.

I havn't read the whole piece (my old tablet does not like the format) but putting animal and vegetable proteins together in the same group is imo disingenuous. It is tantamount to lying by omission.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Apart from a pork chop, my favourite, I'm ok!

D

Deleted member 308541

That page won't load properly for me unless I disable my ad blocker (Kaspersky)by a rather laborious process.
uBlock Origin works great in blocking adverts and getting into the Independent.

Here's a pix of a half gnawed vegan bloody meat burger from the Independent. Pretty ****** burger with out fried onions, tomato and beetroot on it.

bleeding-burger-2.jpeg

Reactions: Brunneria

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I wonder how they make the proteins separate from the starches in the first place - and are the starches just washed down the drain?
The sources are a mixture of protein and starch, so when just the proteins are required, how far will they go to protect the environment?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Status
Not open for further replies.