1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Veggie Burger that bleeds?

Discussion in 'Vegetarian Diet Forum' started by Oldvatr, Jan 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

50% more than what? Extra insulin over what? Air? Perhaps fat, but certainly not carbohydrate!

;)

2. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Please look into the funding for the ARIC study. Also the funding for the professors chair of the institute that conducted that study. Ofen this info is held in confidence since it often leads to claims of bias in the research, which I believe may apply to ARIC since it is largely discredited. Please note that the AHA in the US is now working in collaboration with the Vegan Society after their announcement last year. I do not know about the College of Cardiology.

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. Marie 2

Marie 2 LADA · Well-Known Member

American Heart Association is not "in" with the Vegan Society. This is a well respected Medical Association and if they have anything that has been worked on with the Vegan Society, it would be taking notice of research that shows vegans and vegetarians have less heart risks and what in the diets can be incorporated into a standard American diet. They do not recommend a vegan or vegetarian diet for Americans, Americans wouldn't follow that. But they have a specific link to vegan or vegetarian diets as being very healthy and well, that's because it is.

The American Heart Association AHA and the American College of Cardiologists are not in any way linked to any vegan Societies. They might have some members that are vegans and vegetarians, just as they probably have some members that are low carbers. It is made of of well respected medical professionals.

American College of Cardiology's annual Scientific Session is a big thing, medical professionals come from all over the world to hear about the latest research and findings to try to better the lives of people with heart disease or to try to prevent it.

4. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

This is not healthy.

https://www.heart.org/en/healthy-living/healthy-eating/eat-smart/fats/healthy-cooking-oils

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Master

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Oldvatr

Actually you are correct, and I am wrong. It was the ADA and the BDA that got into bed last year with the Vegan Society to promote vegan diets for heart health. The AHA apparently funded a film called What The Health, but then withdrew their support when the project was found to present a heavily biassed propaganda message, but my source of this info is a blogger who I do not know and this is not a reliable source either.

#66 Oldvatr, Mar 25, 2019 at 7:39 PM
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  7. Marie 2

The American Diabetic Association is not in bed with the Vegan Society either. On their website they list the different meal plans that people follow. Mediterranean, vegan and vegetarian, low carb, low fat and DASH diets. All of those except for the low carb one is promoted as being good for you, all have meat in them except the vegan/vegetarian one. The low carb one just explains what it is and there is no standard of carbohydrates set for it (which is true) that to work with a registered dietitian.

So I suppose since they don't push the low carb diet as the only way, that is the reason they are in bed with The Vegan Society?
    The Vegan Society is a UK organization BTW, although they have members all over. The American Diabetic Association is not.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Oldvatr

ADA = American Dietetic Association, BDA = British Dietetic Association. Confusing innit?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Marie 2

Okay, yes, lol I don't even know who the American Dietetic Association is? You just said ADA, I suppose it could have also been American Dentist Association!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Oldvatr

I believe that the dietetics are nutritionists who formed these associations, and are part of the panel that advises governments about national dietary guidelins such as Eatwell and SAD (Standard American Diet), and these become adopted by the likes of ADA, NICE, AHA, BHF, and Uncle Tom Cobbley and all. Then we get DUK and lesser mortals using this advice. There is a lot of back slapping going on, and it seems the Vegan Association is mixing with the right people to bring about global change.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Mbaker

Mbaker Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Tophat1900

Tophat1900 Type 3c · Well-Known Member

This is why I never bother listening to the rubbish being put out there by the AHA...

Along with their low fat, eat grains approach and counter productive guidelines that include seed oils (no such thing as vegetable oils). This is not helping anyone, it is detrimental to a persons health imo. Just about everything that is wrong with the SAD diet is being promoted as "healthy." Absolutely ridiculous ignorance on their part.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Oldvatr

https://www.greenbiz.com/article/inconvenient-truths-behind-planetary-health-diet
    Just to open the discussion a little wider........This is coming to an AHA / BHF near you (but prob not near to @Mbaker )

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Tophat1900

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Geordie_P

Geordie_P Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Ah, fruit and whole-grains: so a bowl of oatmeal and bananas every morning, a nice bowl of rice, kidney beans and sweetcorn for lunch- pineapple juice to wash it down, and then maybe a bowl of wholewheat pasta with tomato ragu with a fruit salad for my evening meal. That will reduce my chances of going from pre-diabetes to type 2, will it?

16. Jim Lahey

Is the AHA not to all intents and purposes Procter & Gamble? Fairly certain I read that, but would have to check.

17. Tophat1900

I honestly don't know, all I know is their eat healthy life style stuff belongs in the rubbish bin. :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Jim Lahey

Just checked. Apparently Procter & Gamble pretty much made the AHA what it is today. They were the guys who decided that industrial waste from cotton production was going to be marketed and sold as a heart healthy foodstuff. Everyone is encouraged to draw their own conclusions with regards to the motivations of the AHA.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. Oldvatr

There may be others hiding in the wings, but this is their current public declared list
    https://www.heart.org/en/about-us/sponsor-thank-you

20. Oldvatr

The latest vegan adventure is Netflix film called What the Health which I referred to previously. Here is the science behind the film with all the proof you will ever need
    Enjoy
    http://www.whatthehealthfilm.com/facts

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook