Veggie Burger that bleeds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Member496333

2)The new research showed that higher amounts of protein in meals increased the amount of insulin needed by about 50 per cent. The results also showed that the amount of extra insulin needed varied significantly between different individuals.

50% more than what? Extra insulin over what? Air? Perhaps fat, but certainly not carbohydrate!

;)

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
"Researchers tracked daily carbohydrate intake in 14,000 diet records from the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities (ARIC) study and monitored incidences of heart arrhythmias. Those who consumed the least amount of carbohydrate increased the chance of developing AFib by 18 percent, compared with those who consumed the most carbohydrate. AFib is associated with a five-fold increased risk for stroke and may lead to heart failure."
(American College of Cardiology’s 68th Annual Scientific Session/Zhuang X. U-shaped relationship between carbohydrate intake proportion and incident atrial fibrillation. Poster presented at: 68th American College of Cardiology’s Annual Scientific Session. March 2019; New Orleans, LA. )
Please look into the funding for the ARIC study. Also the funding for the professors chair of the institute that conducted that study. Ofen this info is held in confidence since it often leads to claims of bias in the research, which I believe may apply to ARIC since it is largely discredited. Please note that the AHA in the US is now working in collaboration with the Vegan Society after their announcement last year. I do not know about the College of Cardiology.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
American Heart Association is not "in" with the Vegan Society. This is a well respected Medical Association and if they have anything that has been worked on with the Vegan Society, it would be taking notice of research that shows vegans and vegetarians have less heart risks and what in the diets can be incorporated into a standard American diet. They do not recommend a vegan or vegetarian diet for Americans, Americans wouldn't follow that. But they have a specific link to vegan or vegetarian diets as being very healthy and well, that's because it is.

The American Heart Association AHA and the American College of Cardiologists are not in any way linked to any vegan Societies. They might have some members that are vegans and vegetarians, just as they probably have some members that are low carbers. It is made of of well respected medical professionals.

American College of Cardiology's annual Scientific Session is a big thing, medical professionals come from all over the world to hear about the latest research and findings to try to better the lives of people with heart disease or to try to prevent it.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
American Heart Association is not "in" with the Vegan Society. This is a well respected Medical Association and if they have anything that has been worked on with the Vegan Society, it would be taking notice of research that shows vegans and vegetarians have less heart risks and what in the diets can be incorporated into a standard American diet. They do not recommend a vegan or vegetarian diet for Americans, Americans wouldn't follow that. But they have a specific link to vegan or vegetarian diets as being very healthy and well, that's because it is.

The American Heart Association AHA and the American College of Cardiologists are not in any way linked to any vegan Societies. They might have some members that are vegans and vegetarians, just as they probably have some members that are low carbers. It is made of of well respected medical professionals.

American College of Cardiology's annual Scientific Session is a big thing, medical professionals come from all over the world to hear about the latest research and findings to try to better the lives of people with heart disease or to try to prevent it.

This is not healthy.

https://www.heart.org/en/healthy-living/healthy-eating/eat-smart/fats/healthy-cooking-oils

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Actually you are correct, and I am wrong. It was the ADA and the BDA that got into bed last year with the Vegan Society to promote vegan diets for heart health. The AHA apparently funded a film called What The Health, but then withdrew their support when the project was found to present a heavily biassed propaganda message, but my source of this info is a blogger who I do not know and this is not a reliable source either.

Last edited:

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
The American Diabetic Association is not in bed with the Vegan Society either. On their website they list the different meal plans that people follow. Mediterranean, vegan and vegetarian, low carb, low fat and DASH diets. All of those except for the low carb one is promoted as being good for you, all have meat in them except the vegan/vegetarian one. The low carb one just explains what it is and there is no standard of carbohydrates set for it (which is true) that to work with a registered dietitian.

So I suppose since they don't push the low carb diet as the only way, that is the reason they are in bed with The Vegan Society?
The Vegan Society is a UK organization BTW, although they have members all over. The American Diabetic Association is not.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The American Diabetic Association is not in bed with the Vegan Society either. On their website they list the different meal plans that people follow. Mediterranean, vegan and vegetarian, low carb, low fat and DASH diets. All of those except for the low carb one is promoted as being good for you, all have meat in them except the vegan/vegetarian one. The low carb one just explains what it is and there is no standard of carbohydrates set for it (which is true) that to work with a registered dietitian.

So I suppose since they don't push the low carb diet as the only way, that is the reason they are in bed with The Vegan Society?
The Vegan Society is a UK organization BTW, although they have members all over. The American Diabetic Association is not.
ADA = American Dietetic Association, BDA = British Dietetic Association. Confusing innit?

Reactions: Marie 2

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Okay, yes, lol I don't even know who the American Dietetic Association is? You just said ADA, I suppose it could have also been American Dentist Association!

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Okay, yes, lol I don't even know who the American Dietetic Association is? You just said ADA, I suppose it could have also been American Dentist Association!
I believe that the dietetics are nutritionists who formed these associations, and are part of the panel that advises governments about national dietary guidelins such as Eatwell and SAD (Standard American Diet), and these become adopted by the likes of ADA, NICE, AHA, BHF, and Uncle Tom Cobbley and all. Then we get DUK and lesser mortals using this advice. There is a lot of back slapping going on, and it seems the Vegan Association is mixing with the right people to bring about global change.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
This is not healthy.

Why would anyone consume this stuff: ("cleansing", "bleaching", "deordorising", "solvent")
Oil-Production-Line.jpg

Reactions: Guzzler

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon

This is why I never bother listening to the rubbish being put out there by the AHA...

Along with their low fat, eat grains approach and counter productive guidelines that include seed oils (no such thing as vegetable oils). This is not helping anyone, it is detrimental to a persons health imo. Just about everything that is wrong with the SAD diet is being promoted as "healthy." Absolutely ridiculous ignorance on their part.

Reactions: Guzzler

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is why I never bother listening to the rubbish being put out there by the AHA...

Along with their low fat, eat grains approach and counter productive guidelines that include seed oils (no such thing as vegetable oils). This is not helping anyone, it is detrimental to a persons health imo. Just about everything that is wrong with the SAD diet is being promoted as "healthy." Absolutely ridiculous ignorance on their part.
https://www.greenbiz.com/article/inconvenient-truths-behind-planetary-health-diet
Just to open the discussion a little wider........This is coming to an AHA / BHF near you (but prob not near to @Mbaker )

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm providing more info, I knew I would cause a commotion, if you want to eat low carb, by all means eat low carb. There are people on this site that jump all over anyone that says anything about being a vegan or anything vegan. All I am saying is not everyone wants to be low carb and there is research to back up other ways of eating!

The first three are news items from this site, the low carb raising your risk of Afib #4 , I provided a link to the news story on the study, but it has been all over the internet.

1) The importance of eating a healthy plant-based diet to prevent type 2 diabetes has been emphasised in a new Singapore study. Greater intakes of vegetables, fruits and whole grains, and lower intake of red meat and sweetened drinks were associated with reduced type 2 diabetes risk.
Professor Rob van Dam, NUS Saw Swee Hock School of Public Health, and senior author of the publication, said: "Our results are consistent with studies in other populations that a high-quality diet defined by an abundance of minimally processed plant foods such as whole grains, vegetables, fruit, nuts and legumes, but restricted intake of red and processed meat, and sweetened beverages were significantly associated with lower risk of diabetes."

2)The new research showed that higher amounts of protein in meals increased the amount of insulin needed by about 50 per cent. The results also showed that the amount of extra insulin needed varied significantly between different individuals.

3)The controversy about statins continues following a study revealing how the cholesterol-lowering drugs are associated with increased blood glucose, insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes risk.

4)Low-Carb diets like keto linked to potential heart risk in new study: What you should know
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/low-carb-...-heart-risk-181904770--abc-news-wellness.html

Ah, fruit and whole-grains: so a bowl of oatmeal and bananas every morning, a nice bowl of rice, kidney beans and sweetcorn for lunch- pineapple juice to wash it down, and then maybe a bowl of wholewheat pasta with tomato ragu with a fruit salad for my evening meal. That will reduce my chances of going from pre-diabetes to type 2, will it?

M

Member496333

Is the AHA not to all intents and purposes Procter & Gamble? Fairly certain I read that, but would have to check.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Is the AHA not to all intents and purposes Procter & Gamble? Fairly certain I read that, but would have to check.

I honestly don't know, all I know is their eat healthy life style stuff belongs in the rubbish bin. :D

M

Member496333

I honestly don't know, all I know is their eat healthy life style stuff belongs in the rubbish bin. :D

Just checked. Apparently Procter & Gamble pretty much made the AHA what it is today. They were the guys who decided that industrial waste from cotton production was going to be marketed and sold as a heart healthy foodstuff. Everyone is encouraged to draw their own conclusions with regards to the motivations of the AHA.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just checked. Apparently Procter & Gamble pretty much made the AHA what it is today. They were the guys who decided that industrial waste from cotton production was going to be marketed and sold as a heart healthy foodstuff. Everyone is encouraged to draw their own conclusions with regards to the motivations of the AHA.
There may be others hiding in the wings, but this is their current public declared list
https://www.heart.org/en/about-us/sponsor-thank-you

Status
Not open for further replies.