What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Me too DJC3 6.4 this morning on my Codefree. As soon as I deplete the strips might invest in a Tee2.
@Ziggy2017 glad the hospital are helping. Stay warm.
@ianpspurs sorry you dont like cats please dont hold it against me! Hope your aches and pains are improving.
Have a great Wed everyone. Stay well, safe and warm.
Fortunately, Mrs PSpurs is highly allergic to cats so never an issue in Ptowers and of course I wouldn't hold it against you. Original ache/tear healed but bit like whack a mole now having altered all movements new problems emerge daily

:angelic:

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Me too DJC3 6.4 this morning on my Codefree. As soon as I deplete the strips might invest in a Tee2.
@Ziggy2017 glad the hospital are helping. Stay warm.
@ianpspurs sorry you dont like cats please dont hold it against me! Hope your aches and pains are improving.
Have a great Wed everyone. Stay well, safe and warm.

I think a lot of people are moving away from codefree because of it’s inconsistency. I’ll stick with it for now and accept the nice low figures, and take no notice of the high ones!!!!

Reactions: SaskiaKC

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think a lot of people are moving away from codefree because of it’s inconsistency. I’ll stick with it for now and accept the nice low figures, and take no notice of the high ones!!!!
The only advantage is you get a better HBA1c than you expect...at least I did but I am not tecky and record my readings by writing in a diary!

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
After I'd been very ill alf and first saw this GP he didn't take my BP...didn't do any health checks...one of my family said it should have been checked so we bought a monitor and it was 200/110 back in 2016...I was given an emergency appointment...BP meds which I managed to come off after six months...sincet then it's been stable...recently it went up inexplicably...over the course of a week it got to 154/85...then slightly up...then down again...now up again 180/84 last night...all I wanted to know was do I need to see him now or can I wait & continue to monitor it at home...nothing more.

Not wishing to alarm you but.

Malignant hypertension is extremely high blood pressure that develops rapidly and causes some type of organ damage. Normal blood pressure is below 120/80. A person with malignant hypertension has a blood pressure that's typically above 180/120. Malignant hypertension should be treated as a medical emergency.

Attachments

• Bp categories.jpg
    Bp categories.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 122

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Mine is in my emergency standby draw with some strips just in case.

I'm sticking with my contour next one at the moment even though the strips are costly, or the Accu-chek mobile when I can get hold of the cassettes.

(my daughter also has a contour next one and we split the cost of the strips)

Reactions: ziggy_w and DJC3

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not wishing to alarm you but.

Malignant hypertension is extremely high blood pressure that develops rapidly and causes some type of organ damage. Normal blood pressure is below 120/80. A person with malignant hypertension has a blood pressure that's typically above 180/120. Malignant hypertension should be treated as a medical emergency.
Thanks John...mine were way above that a couple of years ago...then as said very stable until approximately two weeks ago...I do monitor them every couple of weeks & noticed the rise...so wanted some advice...there's only so much we can do to elicit a response...so I have emailed the practice manager...advised I am happy to speak to her...advised her a failure to contact me will result in a formal complaint...I have also spoken to our local Health Watch organisation...they will be advised of the outcome & could take action too.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks John...mine were way above that a couple of years ago...then as said very stable until approximately two weeks ago...I do monitor them every couple of weeks & noticed the rise...so wanted some advice...there's only so much we can do to elicit a response...so I have emailed the practice manager...advised I am happy to speak to her...advised her a failure to contact me will result in a formal complaint...I have also spoken to our local Health Watch organisation...they will be advised of the outcome & could take action too.

The last time I tried checking my BP at home I got 3 different readings in 15 minutes. I did everything right -- sat down, turned off TV, feet flat on floor, sat quietly for 5 minutes, then turned on monitor. Reading was 170-something over something. I started to call doc to ask what I should do if anything. Then I remembered -- relax, sit still, wait 5 minutes, recheck ... different numbers, one higher, one 20 points lower. So I waited another 5 minutes, tried to relax, tried to chill out ... turned on monitor ... this time the number that had spiked 20 points was down another 10, while the other number was either higher or lower ...

I gave up, and told doc at my next appointment.

All that was last summer.

Last week at her office #s were 150-something over 90-ish, when I had just walked in, sat down, celebrated with assistant over weight lost and laughed because we'd both fogotten the number before she could enter it so had a do-over, she was talking the whole time the BP cuff was on ...

So doc herself checked it later in the appointment, this time with the real bulb monitor ... nice low 140-something over 80. We both celebrated and when I said I kept hoping for 120/80 she said "I don't think we're gonna get 120."

So my BP seems to be all over the place all the time, which is due mostly I think to my dysautonomia. I don't mind sticking my finger every day, because the results are just something to try to adjust for and live with, but BP is different. I can't just pop an extra pill when it's high.

So, all that novel was to say, I'm sorry you're having to deal with the stress of high BP and medical staff.

Last edited:

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@ianpspurs -- Sorry, could you please explain the relationship between cats and wigwams?

@Bubbsie @jjraak @Debandez -- could you all get together maybe and collaborate on improving health care? Serious question, I'm not trying to be funny or snarky.

@bulkbiker having seen your meters I now know why none of my fingers were willing to let their blood down this morning. They were all trying to hide behind each other: No, you go. No, you go. No, you go.

And all that for a 6.4. I'm not even going to say what the temperature here is!

NixiHB

First post here... Only just diagnosed with diabetes and still don't know whether type 1 or 2 - will find out on Monday. Yesterday waking level was 14.6, today 13.9. Just started metformin so hoping this will help...

Not overweight - BMI of 20. Only 26 years old. Scared and totally overwhelmed...

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
could you all get together maybe and collaborate on improving health care? Serious question, I'm not trying to be funny or snarky.
Its all about fitting in with the surgery schedule Saskia...if you can't you're at a disadvantage.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
First post here... Only just diagnosed with diabetes and still don't know whether type 1 or 2 - will find out on Monday. Yesterday waking level was 14.6, today 13.9. Just started metformin so hoping this will help...

Not overweight - BMI of 20. Only 26 years old. Scared and totally overwhelmed...
I'm not surprised NixiHB...have you any idea when you'll get confirmation of which type you have...I hate to stereotype anyone but I'm leaning towards T1 with such a low BMI & your age often the diagnosis can be overwhelming...whichever type you have I'm sure we can offer the appropriate advice/suggestions...good luck keep us updated.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning..so peed off .. spent most of the afternoon yesterday waiting for a response from my GP on my elevated blood pressure...something which does worry me...he's written to me...no letter arrives so I ring and ask if they can email me a copy...'oh we'll have to find someone to do that'...finally they read it to me over the phone...although higher than they'd like GP is not unduly worried about the rise...says I can make an appointment to discuss it if I wish...he doesn't have an appointment free until the 20th of February I ask can I wait or do I need to see him sooner...finally after a discussion I am offered an appointment for Friday at 16:20...cant do that working advise them wont be home until around 8-9pm..another phone call offered another appointment for Friday at 17:10...don't you just feel like screaming...when I make my concerns know the receptionist exclaims 'I am not having you speak to me like that' the phone goes down...I have to regroup & decide what to do about this...woke to a 5.8
its so frustrating bubbsie these receptionists think their the drs sometimes :mad:hope you get sorted soon x

Reactions: dunelm

NixiHB

I'm not surprised NixiHB...have you any idea when you'll get confirmation of which type you have...I hate to stereotype anyone but I'm leaning towards T1 with such a low BMI & your age often the diagnosis can be overwhelming...whichever type you have I'm sure we can offer the appropriate advice/suggestions...good luck keep us updated.
That's what the docs are leaning towards too, however I have no family history of diabetes and did have a very bad diet and have suffered an awful lot of stress in the past three years after the death of my boyfriend. Still holding out hope for T2 as I have a horrific fear of injections. I will find out on Monday, they did antibody test at the hospital on Monday... So scared.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Going out to deice the car in moment now what did I do with that flame thrower.
john i couldnt even get in my car this morning door was froze solid good job i dont use it for work although i did need paperwork out of it ....needless to say paperwork will have to wait till later

Reactions: dunelm

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The only advantage is you get a better HBA1c than you expect...at least I did but I am not tecky and record my readings by writing in a diary!

Sadly Mine is the opposite! My HbA1c was 39 but fingerprick average was 33.4. Worries me a bit as I don’t have much wriggle room and if figures are genuinely going up then HbA1c is heading out of non- diabetic region. Trying not to panic as that’ll just make things worse.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh, @Bubbsie ...what a sorry tale.

Are ALL reception staff, ex post office counter workers...?

Had similar, take time off work for an appointment with nurse.
Arrive..no record....come back another day.

Ok mistakes happen, but that just seemed rude and ignorant, but try to stay polite.

Show letter, confirming appointment.
Show text from previous day's, showing confirmation, my acceptance, there "don't forget" my "I WILL BE THERE !" response.

He looks blankly at it, tells me NO, I'm not on the system, come back another day.

It's at this point, it's going head to head, others starting to gather as I once again explain, j have a letter, I have a text to confirm, I have now had the hassle of juggling work to attend the appointment, and now I AM HERE, so please tell me why telling me to make another appointment is in your eyes acceptable?
Why would that be any more trustworthy then in this occasion ?.

He looks about ready to take this outside, I'm more then happy to oblige him at this point.

Young lady intercedes, offers apologies, explain THEIR mistake.
Nurse called in sick..(happens)
Others told, not me...bike you in another day, I do apologies

Apologies accepted, feathers unruffled, room 101# customer service skills.
Because we are NOT an inconvenience to shuffled around and dismissed, out of hand.
We are the reason they have empolyment,
There skill is in managing that relationship to the benefit of ALL Concerned.

Best way forward, is to kill them with kindness..(easier said, then done, admittedly).
Nothing more irritating then NOT becoming the victim, when you've been a bit off hand with a customer/client, and they politely question your response, reasoning

Dr JJ Prescribes, one large lovely coffee, sip while plotting revenge...breathe deeply..now exhale..

you are a Warrior queen, sometimes you must draw the sword, but you know, your mind IS your most potent weapon, with the masses.

Good luck, may they shiver at your cold wrath.
spot on jjraak my sentiments exactly ....now i just need to practise what i preach :D

philchap1

Type of diabetes
Type 1

Welcome