1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by NewdestinyX, Jun 30, 2011.

1. OrsonKartt

OrsonKartt Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Morning all, well here comes the snow.... 5.8 on the meter though, I havent seen a 5 for a while so for me its a good enough start.... I'm thermally up and the heatings on constant, hope you are keeping warm , best thoughts..

• Like Like x 14
    • Winner Winner x 7
  2. HarryBeau

HarryBeau Type 2 · Well-Known Member

During the phone calls jjraak I was advised they have 13000 patients...doctor cannot call everyone of them...I said I just wanted him to call me not the other 12999...asked to speak to the practice manager (who conveniently was in a meeting)...asked to wait...waited ten minutes then told she (the receptionist) had called the manager out of the meeting...they had got me an appointment for 17:10 on Friday the 25th...pointed out if I couldn't make the first one that day at 16:20 because I would be at work until 8-9pm how could I make the second...said my disappointment with the practice was diminishing moment by moment...said it wouldn't it kill the GP's to divert from their schedule for a minute or so...whereas high blood pressure might kill me or another patient...that was it...I'd obviously gone too far and she wasn't prepared to be spoken to like that...so now I am identified a an abuser of staff...wonder what the penalty is for that.

• Hug Hug x 12
  3. HarryBeau

shelley I'm just so tired of having to take them on time after time...all I wanted to know was do I need an appointment or do we wait & monitor it...finally after three conversations with a receptionist I am told the doctor says he is not unduly worried but if I want to come in them I can...WTF...it's draining...really draining.

• Hug Hug x 12
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. OrsonKartt

Blue Peter badge?

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. jjraak

jjraak Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I think DEATH...but not sure.

I felt unwell, just made it to doctors, progressively getting worse,
    Breathlessly explained to receptionist, my dire straights...was having asthma attack, can't breathe ...meds not working...
    "Your appointments in 15 minutes, there are others in front of you..NEXT"

Survived.
    Got seen.
    Made complaint.
    Received full apology.
    CCTV reviewed.
    Reception team retrained.

I'm not their favourite either.;)

A health concern that, to the person may be critical, sounds a justifiable reason to be concerned.
    Can't see why anyone would see that any other way.

Seems like receptionist was stressed, maybe needs a little more guidance in HELPFULLY addressing patients concerns.

• Hug x 6
    • Like x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Informative x 1
  6. HarryBeau

Oh Orson I needed that it's the first thing that's made me laugh this morning...thank you;)

• Friendly Friendly x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. HarryBeau

jjrakk we've heard that so many times 'you've identified a training need'...the same old trite hackneyed excuse...I have spoken to our local health watch who would be willing to approach the surgery formally...told them for now I am content to deal with it myself if I receive no satisfactory response I will get back to them...I am about to ask for their procedure on viewing my full patient record...I had assumed a standard subject request access letter would do the trick sadly it won't...so if necessary a FOI request which I will have to pay for may be the way to go...WOW...what a palava to have to go through.

• Hug Hug x 7
  8. Debandez

Debandez Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

5.7 today, very late dinner due to having lots of family around. And we had crackers and cheese and nuts pretty late too.

Yesterday I went with my special needs family member for his first DN meeting. 1 hour appointment with an extremely lovely DN. I listened intently whilst she spoke to him. Most bits ok actually (low carbs low sugar advice given although she did emphasise it's about.portion size!), bits not so good. Cholesterol a bit high for their liking but they want to sort the diabetes with meds first. I asked about cholestrol breakdown blood test. At this point she was very firm and said it wasnt necessary! I could have been more firm and insisted but i didnt want family member to get stressed. It's early days and statins not suggested 'at this point ' although flu jab was (no thanks and that was family member!). Will cross the bridge of statins when we get there.

DN said no need to finger prick! I did say how surprised that testing lots not given. Financial as well as people didn't used to bother was her reason. Those that should have bothered didn't and those that didn't need to did were her exact words. Apparently only 2 categories!

Hba1c 95
    To get this down its metformin
    Metformin 500 for 1 week
    1000 in the 2nd week
    1500 in the 3rd week
    And 2000 in 4th week if no issues.
    If issues slow release an option.

I had told her during the appointment that i was myself type 2 so could help him a lot. Only passed her the inspirational stories booklet, blood glucose testing leaflet and 'we kicked diabetes butt, Dr Unwin paper at the end of the appointment. Told her about the presentation 27 Feb for anyone interested, diabetic/prediabetic/ family or friends who want to help. She looked a bit surprised but said thankyou. We had over run and next pt due.

Home for a low carb dinner and a chat about how we can best work this out. Its a work in.progress.

Happy hump day folks.

More emulsioning for me. Get more on me than i do on the walls!

• Like Like x 10
    • Winner Winner x 7
    #40268 Debandez, Jan 23, 2019 at 9:49 AM
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  9. Providence 62

Providence 62 LADA · Well-Known Member

6.9 this morning, must have been those squats (and watching the carbs like a hawk yesterday). Appointment with DSN this morning to pick it all over with. First time back at morris playing my mandolin last night after a long break due to cardiomyopathy. Lovely to see everyone. Hope everyone here is managing to stay warm today, very chilly here in London.

• Like Like x 15
    • Winner Winner x 3
  10. ianpspurs

ianpspurs Type 2 · Expert

It is cold, stories of poor awareness of patient concerns/urgent issues and graphic illustration of WTFery from glucometer variability. Off topic or not, since I don't do cats under any circumstances, memory from 2 years ago today may lighten mood. Found this wigwam structure while walking dogs with grandson - to this day remember that as easily in top 5 best things in my life. The fat fella is me with several layers on (same basic shape as avatar.)
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 2
    #40270 ianpspurs, Jan 23, 2019 at 10:08 AM
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  11. Ziggy2017

Ziggy2017 Type 3 · Well-Known Member

Yes I think it is down to my steroids and tacrolimus I think they raise blood sugars increasing the risk of diabetes

• Hug Hug x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Ziggy2017

Ziggy2017 Type 3 · Well-Known Member

Morning everyone sugar was 6.0 today everything went ok at freeman’s hospital but they want me to come back to get an acid reflux test as that may be what is causing the cough and they also want to go down and look at my lungs. Have a good day everyone

• Hug Hug x 9
    • Like Like x 7
  13. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

That is amazing. No, not too much. For effect I would increase 50,000 to 2 million :D

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. DJC3

DJC3 Type 2 · Expert

Frustrating as it is, your post has cheered me up a bit - I use the Code free and my readings recently have often been quite a lot higher than I’m expecting. I can take a bit of comfort in thinking Codefree reads high and not feel glum because I can’t see a reason for the high reading.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. alf_Josiah

alf_Josiah Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Morning
    1 question if you don't mind, what was your blood pressure?
    Like you I have had battles with GP's receptionists, but thankfully my practice has now a friendly team.
    As we all are aware stress will cause blood sugars and blood pressures to rise.
    Take care.

• Friendly Friendly x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. OrsonKartt

• Funny Funny x 5
  17. Cumberland

Cumberland Type 1 · Master

7.0 I’m fine with this

Have a good day

• Like Like x 12
    • Winner Winner x 5
  18. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Expert

Well steroids certainly do they are the reason I have diabetes.

• Hug Hug x 10
  19. HarryBeau

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. HarryBeau

After I'd been very ill alf and first saw this GP he didn't take my BP...didn't do any health checks...one of my family said it should have been checked so we bought a monitor and it was 200/110 back in 2016...I was given an emergency appointment...BP meds which I managed to come off after six months...sincet then it's been stable...recently it went up inexplicably...over the course of a week it got to 154/85...then slightly up...then down again...now up again 180/84 last night...all I wanted to know was do I need to see him now or can I wait & continue to monitor it at home...nothing more.

• Hug Hug x 11
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook