Puddings?

BAZZA_P

What do you guys do for puddings? Since diagnosis ive been sticking to cheese and crackers or Yougurt and fruit. Getting a bit boring now so was wondering what you lot have? We do have some splenda in the cupboard i think.

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
Arrr ,,,,Puddings Telling yerr it a be a sticky end to yerr 8)

images

hallii

Sugar free jelly, added berries, set in fridge and blob of Greek yoghourt on top. Sprinkle with Splenda if you want.

H

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hiya all, anyone know HOW to make or buy anywhere? an diabetic eatable creme caramel or egg custard type pudding I adore these n not had any for yonks , and miss them .... Anna.x

spendercat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty. I am kind.
Puddings? Puddings were invented by the devil to raise blood sugar when it plunged after a meal. Who needs them.
Having said that, Alpro make a nice chocolate soya dessert. Any rich creamy ice cream is probably low glycemic and will not do much to your blood sugar with a little (little) fresh fruit - what it does to your hips though...

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hiya, forgot to mention I actually used to and still would have a creme caramel or egg custard [without the pastry thou!] NOT as a pudding but as part of a lite bite.... H ad to put it under the puddings caption as they are sold n bought as a pudding. I also love creamy rice pudding too, anyone know of any diabetic friendly ones?? would have this as a supper [small portion only] not had any for ages n miss them. sob sob sob . :cry: Anna.x

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you ever go across the channel, go into a 'health' food shop.There you will find packet mixes of 'flan sans sucre'. Basically a powder which you mix with milk to make a creme, without the caramel topping and sweetened with artificial sweetner. It's a staple pudding in the 'diabetes ward' of my local hospital. Comes in a variety of flavours.
Alternatively google 'flan sans sucre' and there are a number of recipes (use google translate)
I used it quite a bit when first diagnosd but have to admit that I now prefer to just have fruit/berries as I'm not convinced that too much artificial sweetner is a good thing.

roxy44

i know a rice pudding recipe anna...but not telling it you :lol: just joking lol

its from slimming world and i havent tried it..but you cook pudding rice according to SW as much as you want...let it cool, then get a vanilla muller yogurt a little cinnamon if you like....add the rice to the vanilla yogurt already emptied into a bowl, and mix it to what consistency you want it....pop it in the micrwave till dessired temp...add canderel if needed...and vwallla lol

Bazza
i have just tried a cadburys light choc mouse, 1st since dx will test later,
but i usually have sugar free jelly and add maderine oranges to it, also have strawberrys with a little canderel sprinkled on,

muller yogurts,

i guess being diabetes we dont have the choice we once had :roll:

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Making your own choc mousse is easy .Just soften 1 square high cocoa choc per person and beat in double cream I layer mine with fresh berries top with more whipped cream and grated choc and a frozen mint leaf :lol:
CAROL

stoney

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
carty said:
Making your own choc mousse is easy .Just soften 1 square high cocoa choc per person and beat in double cream I layer mine with fresh berries top with more whipped cream and grated choc and a frozen mint leaf :lol:
CAROL

I've got a simple mousse too

Melt galaxy choc bar over pan of boiled water, when melted add tin of Ambrosia light custard until all smooth. Pop in small ramekin dishes (or) place in nice slender wine glass (posh) place strawberry on top with green stalk still in tact, place in fridge to set. Lush as we say here in Wales wink:

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Gooseberry fool is good to.. goosegogs, sweeterner (put over heat in a pan until softish) and either creme fraiche or whisked double cream...and then chilled in fridge...my choice is the double cream!!! Counts as 1 a day!!!!

louiseb

I recently tryed a wispa ice-cream bar it was delicious and only had 13 grams of carbs plus 120 kcal.
I think these are ok for an occasional pudding

benniesmum

Dislikes
My Doc right now
I make an apple and strawberry pot without sugar which goes down well with both diabetics and none diabetics. Heat cooking apple chunks for about 10 mins, take off heat and add halved strawberries. Then let it cool and add a generous spoonful of Zero Yogurt. Yum!

The strawberries sweeten the mix just enough, although you can add a little sweetener once the mixture is cool. The strawberries do go quite soft, but they don't disintigrate if you let the apple cool a bit before adding.

We also eat raspberries in sugar free jelly, which is surprisingly good and also doesn't need sweetening.

I do miss creme caramel though.

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
I always have a sugar free jelly (Hartleys) with a blob of Greek yoghurt and a spoonful of cinammon. I sometimes also have 2 squares (10 grams) of 85% cocoa chocolate.

Alll the best - Steve

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Strawberries and cream, sugar free jelly, a small amount of ice cream occasionally or a piece of fruit are my main afters, if I have any. Test test test :D

Iced_Tea

i have the same as Sid Bonkers, but last week a diabetic friend made a diabetes friendly sugarfree creme brulee, she used splenda and crushed pecan nuts in the topping and it was very nice.

If you are interested I can find out the recipe? It makes a very nice pudding.

Inez

hdragon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya, forgot to mention I actually used to and still would have a creme caramel or egg custard [without the pastry thou!] NOT as a pudding but as part of a lite bite.... H ad to put it under the puddings caption as they are sold n bought as a pudding. I also love creamy rice pudding too, anyone know of any diabetic friendly ones?? would have this as a supper [small portion only] not had any for ages n miss them. sob sob sob . :cry: Anna.x
hi there I am a northerner who lives on puddings ( very bad for a type 1) I know but with stomach issues it is sometimes the only food that I can tolerate. I make my own rice pud and add sultanas for sweetening adding any type of fruit adding a little sweetener balances it out, and I love cream so use half a tub of clotted cream and a dash or two of evaporated milk.( add nutmeg when cooking it creates a great flavour or cinnamon.) These I add once the rice has finished cooking so it doesn't curdle.
I freeze fruits in summer when they are cheap and cook them off with fruit juices and sweetener then freeze in small portions, once out I make them into small puddings like tarts with any form of short crust pastry which you could make with rice or coconut flour instead and add a drop of crème frieche to finish. fruit fools are one of my favourite snacks and instead of buying them ( usually 17-35g of carbs) use the fruits whipped with a natural yoghurt and cream add a little gelatine to help them set are very satisfying for those pudding days. give em a try. anything with gelatine and whipped cream always sounds good to me .

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have full fat Greek yogurt when I can get it - my local Lidl was my source, but they have not had any since Christmas. Also sugar free jelly, frozen mixed berries and cream, custard made with eggs and cream, and also fruit pulverized and the pips sieved out, set with plain gelatin. All carefully measured so as to find out the carbs per portion.
Rice or starch thickened foods do not feature, nor does dried fruit or anything over 10 percent carbs.