What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

Goacher55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I’m turning to you guys first my dad is 73 and T2 I’m concerned by his treatment would I be allowed to attend his next dr appointment for his test results I’m only asking as he tells me everything is ok but his last retinopathy test shows issues and we have a family history of glaucoma and diabetes.

Reactions: Freema

rhubarb73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
aubergine
I’m turning to you guys first my dad is 73 and T2 I’m concerned by his treatment would I be allowed to attend his next dr appointment for his test results I’m only asking as he tells me everything is ok but his last retinopathy test shows issues and we have a family history of glaucoma and diabetes.
If HE wants you to then yes. Patient consent.

rhubarb73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
aubergine
I suspect the issue is dad neglecting to tell me things and he’s ok with me going
I have attended numerous oncology appointments with my mum; the stress/ emotion of the situation means she doesn’t always take everything in, even though she is well educated on her condition: having someone there just to remember the details helps.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can I just ask a question... why is it that some people find it disappointing to wake up to a 6 or 7? I understood that anything up to this level was ok for a diabetic? Or am I missing something here......

(Not that I can talk as I’m always in double figures lol!). Any information appreciated

My answer to your question is that I honestly don't know why. I think we start reading each other's numbers and either start to feel a little competitive when we see numbers in the 4s and 5s, or want to be just like everyone else. It's schooldays all over again.

But everyone is an individual. Different blood groups, different BMIs, different genes, different lifestyles. Different types of diabetes, for that matter. Yes, I am happy with my 5.9 this morning because it's lower than some other numbers I was pulling earlier this week. But I feel well, the way I am eating seems to agree with me, I am still losing weight (slowly), and for all I know the switch from one SSRI to another two weeks ago has affected my BG numbers.

SB.25

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
My answer to your question is that I honestly don't know why. I think we start reading each other's numbers and either start to feel a little competitive when we see numbers in the 4s and 5s, or want to be just like everyone else. It's schooldays all over again.

But everyone is an individual. Different blood groups, different BMIs, different genes, different lifestyles. Different types of diabetes, for that matter. Yes, I am happy with my 5.9 this morning because it's lower than some other numbers I was pulling earlier this week. But I feel well, the way I am eating seems to agree with me, I am still losing weight (slowly), and for all I know the switch from one SSRI to another two weeks ago has affected my BG numbers.
I think it’s fair to say if this was a competition for the lowest number, I would defiantly be the loser haha! I think on most days posting on here I have the highest, or if not one of the highest levels.

I try not to feel defeated by my levels and I find it encouraging seeing others with nice numbers :)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi DJC...I did have an appointment with Dr Dreadful this morning which after my lengthy chat with him on Tuesday (and a huge apology from the practice manager) I have now cancelled...all I needed was a decision from him about BP medication...so I was on a quest for information which I now have.. on BP meds now (disappointing)...blood tests the week after next to check liver function...one really unwanted consequence is a much earlier than expected HbA1c test which I tired to resist...it isn't due until April but Dr Dreadful said we should do it then.
Oh I’m glad you got an apology from the practise manager anyway. Shame about the bp meds if you weren’t keen on having them, I hope they help though.
I can imagine you trying to resist the early HbA1c, especially as it’ll include Christmas, but at least you’ll know how you managed the festive period - fingers crossed for a pleasant surprise.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all. Everything covered in snow today, looks pretty, cold not too bad.

@DJC3 -- Great run of low fasting blood sugars, well done.
@JohnEGreen -- Have noticed that your fbgs are a lower for a while now.

Blood sugars this morning were 4.6 for me.

Thanks Ziggy, The week of 30hr IF seems to have really helped. Just got to keep them from creeping up again now.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.5 today.

Looking forward to this little monkey today. Lidl roll smothered wirh cheese, onion and full fat mayo. Mmmmmmmmm nom nom nom.

Attachments

• 20190131_125055_resized.jpg
    20190131_125055_resized.jpg
    541.8 KB · Views: 115

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think it’s fair to say if this was a competition for the lowest number, I would defiantly be the loser haha! I think on most days posting on here I have the highest, or if not one of the highest levels.

I try not to feel defeated by my levels and I find it encouraging seeing others with nice numbers :)
you will get there SB25 3 months isnt a long time and once you get proper diagnosis you will see better results xx

Reactions: HarryBeau

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.5 today.

Looking forward to this little monkey today. Lidl roll smothered wirh cheese, onion and full fat mayo. Mmmmmmmmm nom nom nom.
Ah! Have they started making them again? We have not had any for about a year.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh I’m glad you got an apology from the practise manager anyway. Shame about the bp meds if you weren’t keen on having them, I hope they help though.
I can imagine you trying to resist the early HbA1c, especially as it’ll include Christmas, but at least you’ll know how you managed the festive period - fingers crossed for a pleasant surprise.
Thanks DJC you're right I was not keen on any further medication...and the early HbA1c test will include the festive period...I have to be philosophical in that respect and take what comes.

Reactions: geefull and DJC3

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Just spoken to the DSN she’s told me to increase insulin at night but has said I may need to go on a basal bolus regime if it’s still not coming down - that is going to be discussed at my appointment on the 15th February.

Just spoken to the DSN she’s told me to increase insulin at night but has said I may need to go on a basal bolus regime if it’s still not coming down - that is going to be discussed at my appointment on the 15th February.

Not really sure how I feel about that....

Not really sure how I feel about that....
Hi @SB.25 I do basal/bolus but I'm T1. Easy to do most of the time but a pain I find if trying to be a bit more spontaneous. It keeps me alive and that's the most important

SB.25

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
you will get there SB25 3 months isnt a long time and once you get proper diagnosis you will see better results xx
Let’s hope so!
Hi @SB.25 I do basal/bolus but I'm T1. Easy to do most of the time but a pain I find if trying to be a bit more spontaneous. It keeps me alive and that's the most important
Yes it may be for the better. I did manage to get a 7 today though prior to lunch (and after a half hour walk) which was exciting for me!

Reactions: geefull and Prem51

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just back from my eye test at the hospital. It was the same test the optician does and since my new optician also did a more sophisticated scan called an Optimap I was not impressed. Nor was I impressed by the comments about having Diabetis you will have bleeds come and go all the time...we see it here all the time....most people here today are diabetic. I pointed out that I had good control (probably the best controlled in the waiting room) but she yawned and said someone will review it but you probably wont hear any more from us. I could clearly see the large brown patch on the orange planet on her screen. I am starting to feel everything I am investigated for from now on is going to be attributed to diabetes whether that is true or not. I dont want it to be a problem with my eye but that appointment was not convincing. @Dark Horse any thoughts?

philchap1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I think the problem is they still have not confirmed which type I am. I don’t have any of the usual indicators for type 2.... in 26 and a low BMI of 21. I’ve been put on slow release insulin but it hasn’t seem to have got me back in the good zone as I never go below 8!

When I first started my fasting levels were 17 and since being on the basal insulin I’ve managed to get down to around 10-12 which occasional blips of 13+.

My problem is I have to work so hard to even get them to 10! I.e. low carb and lots of walking.

The DSN said for now I need to aim for staying at 10 before I see the consultant on the 15th.
I would say your type 1 in the honeymoon period, still producing a little insulin but not enough to compliment the slow acting insulin.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Lots of onion on it @Debandez you clearly don’t react to it! I can only manage a little bit of chopped spring onion even on a low carb bit of bread or roll!
I seem to be ok with onion, thankfully as I put half a small onion on this little monkey. It was absolutely delicious and nothing bad in post pranial either. So all good.