Regular moderate exercise log

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
I feel pretty pathetic with my 2.67 mile walk, grocery shopping, and an hour plus of working seated. Other than that and an episode of Grace and Frankie, I was on my feet all day; maybe that counts for something. I am in awe of every one of you, working through pain, walking distances I haven’t walked since I was 35, heave-ho-ing boxes of books up and down ladders...

Reactions: DJC3

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
A weak showing of just over 8k steps yesterday but to gauge intensity of wind fitbit showed 38 floors. Neither me nor the 13.5 year old lab wanted to walk much more and the rugby seemed a better bet.I
Typing this on a device with predictive text (kindlefire) is a nightmare

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I feel pretty pathetic with my 2.67 mile walk, grocery shopping, and an hour plus of working seated. Other than that and an episode of Grace and Frankie, I was on my feet all day; maybe that counts for something. I am in awe of every one of you, working through pain, walking distances I haven’t walked since I was 35, heave-ho-ing boxes of books up and down ladders...

Nice to see you and your new happy avatar @zauberflote
Don’t feel pathetic, just being on your feet and moving about a bit is, I agree, better than sitting.
We all have to work to our own limitations and just posting on here will often motivate me to move a bit more.
Walking carrying groceries can be a pretty good work out I reckon, and beats taking the bus or car.

Reactions: zauberflote

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@zauberflote love your new avatar and nothing pathetic about your activity levels. As @DJC3 says, it’s all relative and each of us can only do what our bodies allow.

I feel very fortunate that I can be active once again. Today enjoyed a 1.5 hour walking football session - just the right number of people to fill the pitch without being too crowded and no need to sub in and out, so a good workout and managed to score a few goals to boot. General wanderings clocked up another 10.3k steps during the day.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

It is definitely all relative! Grocery shopping can be exhausting amounts of exercise (and decision making) and being on your feet all day likewise.

My Achilles tendon is not actually painful when I'm out walking - more when I stop and get going again. Or I accidentally hit it, then it hurts!!! Now I'm doing the exercises, it's definitely improving, though.

Plus, I always say my distances are a bit immoderate, but my walking pace is definitely moderate and I have to remind myself to walk a bit faster sometimes!! Preferably downhill or on the flat at the moment whilst persuading that tendon it wants to heal.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. Gym today - normal mix of physio prescribed exercises, push ups, step ups, crunches and leg/arm weights. Managed to increase weight slightly on a couple of machines. Supplemented by 20.5k steps - managed to get out for a decent walk in the sun at lunchtime as well as getting off train early this morning. Getting to and from the gym is also a 40 minute round trip.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@DJC3 um... we put the grocery bags into the cart and trolley them out to the car. The fun for me comes when I have 60-80 lbs kitty litter in the cart - the parking lot has a short downhill on which I run the cart, getting up a good head of steam, so as not to have to push quite so hard for quite so much of the upward grade to where I always park. People do stare! And thanksfor the compliment!
@Goonergal thanks! And congrats on scoring! Are we talking what I call soccer here? “futbol”?
@Japes do those exercises!! You’ll heal up
Today was a zero exercise day except the PT I’ve done for my back, shoulders, and ribcage for... golly, nearly 30 years. Bunch of stretches designed to make the overuse from playing flute all these years have less impact. Allovertheplace kind of day, totally brainless, didn’t get much done (including getting to bed earlier, noooooo, Mr ZF was all fired up about something and I like to listen . So. Must walk in the morning or afternoon tomorrow, taking Mom to a choral Vespers at the local Catholic Cathedral in the evening and then for supper. You know, walking with her is kind of like tai chi - very slow, controlled balance practise. Good for balance and the tiny muscles in the lower leg, I bet!
Edit on refiguring cat litter actual weight (down substantially )

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I want to thank all the folks who recommended magnesium spray for leg cramps (I think it was on this thread?). It is definitely helping

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all
@zauberflote I’m glad the magnesium is helping. Leg cramps are horrible.

10k steps for me today, plus more going up and down 2 flights of stairs a few times, carrying a load of vinyl records, even more 78s ( very heavy) and an ancient heavy Singer sewing machine. Good work out for legs and arms. Lps all Freecycled. Tomorrows task is cleaning up sweing machine and looking up 78s to see if they’re worth selling.
Got to the gym this afternoon and cycled to warm up and down. Middle bit was leg exercises - can’t remember what they are all called but hip abductor was one. Did 3 sets of 8 reps on each.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@zauberflote glad the magnesium is helping.

Great stuff at the gym @DJC3

Lots of walking today. Really enjoyed it. Mostly after work and split into three. Part 1 was down to the Regents Canal at Haggerston and along to Islington where dinner was consumed at Five Guys. Part 2 was from Islington to Waterloo for a haircut and part 3 was a short hop along the river from Blackfriars Bridge to Cannon Street via the Millennium Bridge to catch the train home. 25.7k steps in all.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The wind has gone so the dogs and me could do the normal walk. Meant today was 12.2k steps and swimming lesson.Better than nothing (but only just)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@zauberflote glad the magnesium is helping.

Great stuff at the gym @DJC3

Lots of walking today. Really enjoyed it. Mostly after work and split into three. Part 1 was down to the Regents Canal at Haggerston and along to Islington where dinner was consumed at Five Guys. Part 2 was from Islington to Waterloo for a haircut and part 3 was a short hop along the river from Blackfriars Bridge to Cannon Street via the Millennium Bridge to catch the train home. 25.7k steps in all.

That’s a lot of steps. How many miles does that equate to?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That’s a lot of steps. How many miles does that equate to?

About 11. Did a 25 minute brisk walk on the way to work, couple of short hops at lunch time to pick up food, but otherwise all in the evening walks. My phone always shows longer distances (the mileage is from my pedometer) but steps are similar.

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
deadlifts last night, worked up to 185kg 3x3 then 5x1, then a drop set from 160kg, 140kg, 120kg,100kg then lastly 60kg all 3 reps each. My hip is still bothering me, being unable to drive through the floor at the beginning, getting a bit long in the tooth now. Just have to keep up the rehab. One foot in front of the other.

Take care everyone.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
deadlifts last night, worked up to 185kg 3x3 then 5x1, then a drop set from 160kg, 140kg, 120kg,100kg then lastly 60kg all 3 reps each. My hip is still bothering me, being unable to drive through the floor at the beginning, getting a bit long in the tooth now. Just have to keep up the rehab. One foot in front of the other.

Take care everyone.
Reading those weights and reps always has me living in jawdrop central - amazed. Hope the rehab sorts the hip out.

Reactions: zauberflote

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Reading those weights and reps always has me living in jawdrop central - amazed. Hope the rehab sorts the hip out.
Thanks, the sad thing is I should be lifting heavier if I want to do as I hope for my next competition, I'm doing all I can but this year might be a right off as far as wanting to do well and just chalk it up to experience (as much as I don't want to, I think the old body has finally said "Enough")

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
About 11. Did a 25 minute brisk walk on the way to work, couple of short hops at lunch time to pick up food, but otherwise all in the evening walks. My phone always shows longer distances (the mileage is from my pedometer) but steps are similar.

Cor that really is amazing.