What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

Gav-wxm

Yes, that sounds good. Was your blood glucose lower last night? If so, you may have dawn phenomena, raised numbers in the morning because your liver dumps glucose before you wake (about 50% of Type 2s have it).

I've just finished a fast myself. I find eating low carb has made fasting much easier and I'm much less hungry. (Before low carb eating, I was always hungry.)

Although fasting isn't helpful for all Type 2s (and those who take insulin or insulin producing drugs need to watch their numbers carefully so they don't go too low), some of us find it helpful. I'm a diet only Type 2 who doesn't ever get hypos although I stop fasting when it starts to get near 4.0 (3.9 and below is hypoglycemia.)

I fast several times a week as it helps my blood sugar and weight loss (I'm one of the Type 2s who's had a long standing weight problem - very insulin resistant.)

Thanks for reply.
Last night I was 6.8, it’s all new to me and to be honest It hasn’t really been explained to me by the doctors or nurses, the only thing I was told was to start dieting and watch my levels don’t drop below 4.4

I started off with aching muscles, legs etc and blurred vision in bright lights.
My muscles seem to be getting better but eyes still haven’t improved much, I had an eye test on Wednesday and optician couldn’t find anything wrong which is a bonus.

I suffer a lot with anxiety so will be really pleased if my eyes clear up.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for reply.
Last night I was 6.8, it’s all new to me and to be honest It hasn’t really been explained to me by the doctors or nurses, the only thing I was told was to start dieting and watch my levels don’t drop below 4.4

I started off with aching muscles, legs etc and blurred vision in bright lights.
My muscles seem to be getting better but eyes still haven’t improved much, I had an eye test on Wednesday and optician couldn’t find anything wrong which is a bonus.

I suffer a lot with anxiety so will be really pleased if my eyes clear up.

I suffer with it too. For me, blurred vision would increase my anxiety, which would make me think my vision was even more blurred, which would increase my anxiety even more ...

Hug. :)

Reactions: HarryBeau

Gav-wxm

I suffer with it too. For me, blurred vision would increase my anxiety, which would make me think my vision was even more blurred, which would increase my anxiety even more ...

Hug. :)

SNAP!! I looked on google the other day about blurred eyes diabetes etc and after reading all the worst case scenarios it brought on a panic attack and 2 days off work on the sick ☹️

The more stressed I get the worse my eyes are.
I dont know about yourself but my vision is fine looking at objects that are not moving but anything that moves quickly I see as 1 big blurr
A good example is: if something falls off the kitchen worktop, I would see it on the floor and on the worktop but in one blurred figure

Reactions: dunelm

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am not medically trained by any means. All I know is that if I were having blurred vision of any kind I would see my doctor. I would not be fasting. :)

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The more stressed I get the worse my eyes are.
I dont know about yourself but my vision is fine looking at objects that are not moving but anything that moves quickly I see as 1 big blurr
A good example is: if something falls off the kitchen worktop, I would see it on the floor and on the worktop but in one blurred figure

I think SaskiaKC's idea of checking with your doctor about blurred vision is a good one. Although I haven't experienced it, sometimes it's a result of blood glucose levels changing and therefore affecting the shape of the eyeball. My best friend also a Type 2 had this - her sister-in-law who's an ophthalmologist said her vision would stabilize once her blood glucose stabilized at lower levels (which it did). However, I think it would be wise to tell your doctor.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Awwh not surprised she’s absolutely georgeous x
Every time I try and open Cumberlands attachment this is what I get not understanding it.

Diabetes Forum • The Global Diabetes Community - Error
You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action.

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm envious - we don't do any yard work here until the end of May when all danger of frost is past. Right now, my backyard is under snow, frozen and then after it thaws out, the soil has to dry out (that takes quite a while). Trees and hedges can't be pruned yet either because of frost. People usually start yard work and gardening here by Victoria Day on the long weekend the last Monday in May because that's when the risk of frost is passed (my province Ontario still celebrates Queen Victoria's birthday). That weekend the plant nurseries/gardencentres are jammed with people eager to garden after winter. This morning my husband had to resalt the driveway and walkway again because of more ice this morning. We are supposed to get a thaw this weekend, then more snow.

The weather is unusually mild, todays temp was 15C althgough it started at 4C at 0900. Most of the work is pruning, or breaking up the soil in the borders. We are clay based here so a lot of mulch/compost gets turned into the clay and turning it over now gets it primed for planting in March. There is always the risk of late frosts or even snow in March/April, but the garden centre was busy today. I know we are further north than Calgary but thankfully we have the Gulf stream :)

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.3 this morning.

Tried making a bitter gourd dish - karela ( last night to go along with dinner as it is supposed to help lower blood glucose). https://www.diabetes.co.uk/natural-therapies/bitter-melon.html

My Indian son-in-law told me that it was authentic (I always run my Indian cooking past him - he & daughter live in our basement apt.). I used onion, garam masala, Kashmiri chili, mustard seed and a little bit of tamarind.) Recipe called for jaggery (palm sugar, left it out and substituted small amount of stevia.) I also salted the gourd before squeezing out the juice (to make it less bitter). . My son-in-law told me "I don't usually care for bitter gourd, it's bitter so I only eat a little with rice to reduce the bitterness". (No, can't do that on low carb) . My daughter and husband also found it quite bitter. I hate to think how bitter it would be if I hadn't squeezed out the juice. Still have a bit in the fridge (guess I'll be the only eating it.). It's effect on blood glucose seems minimal to me but at least I've tried a new vegetable now.

@Chronicle_Cat

We have bitter melon now and again. My wife buys it from Asian stores as a fresh vegetable. Looks like an ugly cucumber. But tastes very bitter as the name suggests.

I bought some today, frozen. I did not know it had such properties. Is it true?

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The weather is unusually mild, todays temp was 15C althgough it started at 4C at 0900. Most of the work is pruning, or breaking up the soil in the borders. We are clay based here so a lot of mulch/compost gets turned into the clay and turning it over now gets it primed for planting in March. There is always the risk of late frosts or even snow in March/April, but the garden centre was busy today. I know we are further north than Calgary but thankfully we have the Gulf stream :)

You're lucky, I remember being shocked when I saw palm trees on the island of Arran in Scotland (not typical of Scotland I know). The Gulf stream makes a huge difference to the UK's climate. The Great Lakes moderate our temperatures somewhat (we are warmer in the winter than the Canadian prairies & American midwest and cooler in the summer) but the effect is so much stronger with the Gulf stream. It seems to always effect the UK unlike the polar vortex which fortunately doesn't hit us every year.

Reactions: HarryBeau