End of February 48 hour group fasting support

Miso89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Miso, whilst I feel sure you will be welcomed to this thread by your fellow fasters, I think it is worth pointing out that as yet I don't believe fasting is being eyed as a potential cure for Type 1 diabetes.

I, and I'm sure others, would be interested to hear how you do, but initially I am keen to understand how you manage your underlying T1, during your fasting periods and in your day-to-day, non-fasting life, to grasp a greater understanding of your personal definition of a fast and what that is practically.

There are many definitions of fasting, and I have no skin in the game, in terms of who could be correct, or even if correct exists in terms of fasting, so I'm interested in how you, as a T1 do this.

When posting your updates, I would be grateful if you could always make your Type 1 status very clear as the others intending to join in here are exclusively T2s, and management styles will, by the conditions nature differ.

Miso89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
When I do a fast, it isn't intermittent or liquid fasts. It's 0 caloric intake. I have water, maybe a coffee(black), and some teas. I use the slow acting insulin (humilin N) and very small doses so I don't get a low blood sugar and am then forced to break fast. I go about my daily activities (warehouse job). I'll also point out that I only use insulin once a day, maybe a 2nd time if the reading goes up slightly. I don't run a high risk of getting a low blood sugar because I use maybe 2-4 units of insulin. The whole point is to get off, and by using more and consistently eating the insulin receptors don't get a break. Ive also come to the conclusion that eating 1 meal a day should be the norm. The whole term "intermittent fasting" makes it sound like we should only do this once in a while... Eating 3+ meals a day is what we should be doing once in a while. Countless health issues have come up in the last 50 years, and sure you can credit it to different toxins in foods, pollution, inactive lifestyle but the body has the capacity to clean itself and fix itself if you give it the opportunity... That opportunity doesn't happen when ur eating throughout the entirety of the day. Look into autophagy and when this happens at its highest efficiency. If you haven't guessed it I'll say it, during a fasted state. It's day 4 today I'm about to sleep after some ginger tea (boiled the root, not some extract bs)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all. Checking in with final stats.

FBG 4.2 (exactly 5 on Tuesday morning)
Ketones 3 (Caresens), 3.1 (On Call) vs 1.7 at start
Weight 58.8kg (drop of 1.4kg from start of 60.2kg)

Very pleased with the weight - lowest since early November. Having briefly hit 57.9kg in the summer, I’ve struggled to get below 59kg for months.

Good luck to all those still fasting - look forward to your updates later.

1965A303-0BE2-4F7D-9F88-43142CD0CAB9.jpeg

Reactions: Merrylizard1314

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just began my fast today. I thought I would have reached my goal by now, but there are still 10 kg to go and, as my weight has stayed on a plateau for over a week, it seems a good time for a fast. My aim is to get to 64kg or 141 lbs and every little loss helps.

At 6.15am today, BGL 5.8 Ketones 1.1. BP123/72 p56

I am keeping track of blood pressure as I do not want to trigger an a-fib episode. This will be a water fast, with salt. All you tasters are doing well. It is very encouraging.
Welcome @Merrylizard1314! Great to have company.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all. Checking in with final stats.

FBG 4.2 (exactly 5 on Tuesday morning)
Ketones 3 (Caresens), 3.1 (On Call) vs 1.7 at start
Weight 58.8kg (drop of 1.4kg from start of 60.2kg)

Very pleased with the weight - lowest since early November. Having briefly hit 57.9kg in the summer, I’ve struggled to get below 59kg for months.

Good luck to all those still fasting - look forward to your updates later.

View attachment 31551
Fantastic job @Goonergal! You and the others are giving me such good motivation - if I achieve anywhere near what you have in the long term I'll be a true winner!

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning lovely fasters and breakfasters! I am feeling great and think I might go full iron man (woman) and finish tomorrow evening.

FBG 5.2
Weight 260.5

Will post ketones after 11am.

Good luck for today, all, and enjoy breakfast, whenever that may be!

Reactions: Pipp

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
9A7E75F8-1520-4595-A34A-00C3900C87AD.jpeg
Good morning all my stats first thing on rising are:
Fbg 4.0
Ketones 4.1
Weight 54.4 kgs or 8 stone 8 pounds
Ketones were very reactive to fast and peaked on second day in afternoon to 6.8 before settling back - no doubt they’d rise again later today if continued.
Lowest bg over the fast that I’ve picked up was 3.6 at bedtime last night
My weight loss has been 1.5kgs which is a fair chunk over a short period as I’m at low end of ideal - so gone from 55.9kg to 54.4kg bmi now 19.2 still healthy weight but don’t want to drop anymore and I’m sure it will reset to where I’d like it to be as I start eating again which I plan to do this morning! Plan to break my fast mid morning at the 65 hour mark further than planned to go so these figures will be my end of fast figures.
I’ll report back with Friday morning figures to record changes to weight, ketones, bgs as go back to eating as @Goonergal has this morning.
Good luck to all those continuing I’ve enjoyed the experience and feel some real achievement as hadn’t ever gone above 23 hours before and wanted to see if I could. I’m hoping too some of the magic autophagy has gone on in the background while I’ve not been eating.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
View attachment 31553
Good morning all my stats first thing on rising are:
Fbg 4.0
Ketones 4.1
Weight 54.4 kgs or 8 stone 8 pounds
Ketones were very reactive to fast and peaked on second day in afternoon to 6.8 before settling back - no doubt they’d rise again later today if continued.
Lowest bg over the fast that I’ve picked up was 3.6 at bedtime last night
My weight loss has been 1.5kgs which is a fair chunk over a short period as I’m at low end of ideal - so gone from 55.9kg to 54.4kg bmi now 19.2 still healthy weight but don’t want to drop anymore and I’m sure it will reset to where I’d like it to be as I start eating again which I plan to do this morning! Plan to break my fast mid morning at the 65 hour mark further than planned to go so these figures will be my end of fast figures.
I’ll report back with Friday morning figures to record changes to weight, ketones, bgs as go back to eating as @Goonergal has this morning.
Good luck to all those continuing I’ve enjoyed the experience and feel some real achievement as hadn’t ever gone above 23 hours before and wanted to see if I could. I’m hoping too some of the magic autophagy has gone on in the background while I’ve not been eating.
Well done! Enjoy breakfast - I'm interested to hear about breakfast choices and experiences too if that won't upset anyone still fasting?

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done! Enjoy breakfast - I'm interested to hear about breakfast choices and experiences too if that won't upset anyone still fasting?
Hi I’m planning an omelette mid morning and lamb cutlets with a few mushrooms late pm ie smallish amounts to reintroduce. Will let you know how I get on hope you get on well with your continuing fast.

Reactions: ziggy_w and Pipp

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all
This mornings figures
Weighed in at 203.8 pounds 14st 7.8 pounds 92.4kg
Body fat 26.9%
Visceral Fat 11
BMI 27.6

FBG 3.9 (Tee2) 5.0 (Codefree) Ketones 2.6

Bit of a restless night couldn't get to sleep until 1 am and had to get up for a pee at 2.30! ,pretty unheard of these days, woke about 7 am hopefully tonight will be better.
Carrying on until dinner tomorrow so should have done about 70 hours in total.

Fast strong all and have fun...!
Yesterdays intake

Screenshot 2019-02-28 at 08.29.20.png

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all.
I was ready to give up last night after the torture of cooking but managed to divert my attention and keep busy but had an early night and slept so well but looking a bit pale this morning.

FBG 5.1 contour 5.2 Jazz
Ketones 2.6
Weight - lost 1lb thankfully no more

I can’t believe how stable my readings were yesterday - water only. Having watched a video on fasting I was expecting a big rise later in, but it was steadily in the 5s which I’m delighted with this week. I do feel a bit dizzy so not sure if I’ll manage the full 48 hrs.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all.
I was ready to give up last night after the torture of cooking but managed to divert my attention and keep busy but had an early night and slept so well but looking a bit pale this morning.

FBG 5.1 contour 5.2 Jazz
Ketones 2.6
Weight - lost 1lb thankfully no more

I can’t believe how stable my readings were yesterday - water only. Having watched a video on fasting I was expecting a big rise later in, but it was steadily in the 5s which I’m delighted with this week. I do feel a bit dizzy so not sure if I’ll manage the full 48 hrs.
Add some salt to the water.. might help a bit..or stick some salt under your tongue and let it dissolve if the thought of drinking it is not appealing.

Reactions: Flora123

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don’t have all the sophisticated tech that some have, just a tub of ketostix and a codefree meter, and a bog standard bathroom scale, but here is where I’m at:

Wednesday
Morning Fasting BG 7.4 , bedtime BG 5.3
Ketone evening 1.5

Thursday
Morning (still fasting) BG 5.9
Ketone morning 0.5
Weight down 1.4 kg

Since Tuesday evening all I have consumed has been black coffee, 2 cups, 1 teaspoon of double cream, 1 cup beef bone broth, with salt and garlic pepper, half teaspoon of marmite in hot water, 1 cup of peppermint tea, and about 4 litres water and soda water.

Feel fine, no hunger, just about to have coffee with a teaspoon of cream before heading to gym and swimming pool for a workout of about 90 minutes. In the hope that the cream will prevent a BG rise following exercise.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Current readings bg 4.8, ketones 1.1 and still feeling really well. Anyone still with me?

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Still here .. on 3rd coffee with cream ..!
Ah, great to know you're there! I'm on green tea at this moment. I suddenly realised the pukka herbal tea I've been drinking might have carbs in the "leaves and essential oil powders" and I wonder if that might be responsible for lower ketones than I would like.

Are you doing tomorrow or finishing tonight?

Reactions: Pipp and ziggy_w

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah, great to know you're there! I'm on green tea at this moment. I suddenly realised the pukka herbal tea I've been drinking might have carbs in the "leaves and essential oil powders" and I wonder if that might be responsible for lower ketones than I would like.

Are you doing tomorrow or finishing tonight?
Dinner tomorrow night.. have a nice lamb shoulder to slow roast for 8 hours tomorrow.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dinner tomorrow night.. have a nice lamb shoulder to slow roast for 8 hours tomorrow.
Great to have your company! I'm likely to have a bag of pork scratching again, as I'll be going shopping after work tomorrow. Then when I get in some scrambled eggs with butter.