Type 1'stars R Us

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Wow, Helsinki looks wonderful Helen. Fantastic pics. I must take Hamish there one day.

Reactions: hh1

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Good afternoon wherever you may be
Bloods behaving quite nicely again :)
@Knikki that is my concern with the DVLA and CGMs. They are not accurate enough!
@Fairygodmother hiow is Hamish behaving??
Really windy here in South Wales last night. Grandaughters slides etc are all over the garden along with the bins, all of them!

At least they’re still in the garden have you spotted any freedom-seeking trampolines yet?
Hamish is still being decent, nothing stronger than paracetamol and movement range gradually increasing. I did notice, this morning, that I have more capillary burst behind him and in a line running up to the groin so I turned into worried old woman and sought a gp phone consultation. Still keeping an eye on it and think I might forego tomorrow’s self-injected blood thinner. Decisions decisions. I expect diving helped weaken my capillaries but the experiences under the water were worth it!

James_Donnelly

Man, carb counting is weird sometimes isn't it. I just had a protein cookie and a glass of milk. I have this most days so know what insulin I need for it, and that is ONE unit. One. 25G of carbs for the milk and cookie. 5.2 before I ate it, 5.7 an hour later. So weird because if I was to have something else to eat at the same time, say a sandwich, I wouldn't be operating at 25:1 ratio, more like 12:1.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Man, carb counting is weird sometimes isn't it. I just had a protein cookie and a glass of milk. I have this most days so know what insulin I need for it, and that is ONE unit. One. 25G of carbs for the milk and cookie. 5.2 before I ate it, 5.7 an hour later. So weird because if I was to have something else to eat at the same time, say a sandwich, I wouldn't be operating at 25:1 ratio, more like 12:1.
I don't thinks its carb counting....it just type 1 diabetes in general! :)

Reactions: Fairygodmother

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Afternoon all,
I am still in Helsinki. No sign of Freya but it's cold enough to snow.
Fun with friends is over and now I am working. My meetings start tomorrow so today is "working from home" in my apartment. I started early so I could have a long lunch break to walk all the way around the lake, check out the Rock Church (very cool place which is literally a church hewn out of the rock face and a copper dome plonked on top) and relive my youth as I confirmed the restaurants and night clubs of previous years are still there.
As you liked the last photo so much here are a couple more - one of the lake and one of the church
View attachment 31631 View attachment 31632

Back to the grindstone again and into the evening. At least it's warm in side.

Is one end of that church structured to resemble organ pipes?

James_Donnelly

Do you do any exercise before your milk and cookies?
Carb counting seems to be dependent on more than just food - it also cares about time of day (it is common to be more insulin resistant in the morning, for example), exercise (exercise often reduces glycogen reserves so some of the carbs we eat maybe used as glycogen top up rather than going straight into blood sugars) and what socks you're wearing.
The two important things are - if it works and is repeatable, keep doing it, and don't expect your BG to behave in exactly the same way tomorrow.
Yeah I need more insulin in the morning than I would for the same amount of carbs later in the day. No exercise really before the milk and cookie - I sound like a child haha - but I know I only need one unit for it. I just double checked it and it is actually 35G of carbs not 25G. Even more mad.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Night all! Am I first?
I suppose it depends where day ends and night starts. :):):).
But for me you are most definitely the first to post such a thought provoking post.
I assume you’re not actually going too bed at this very moment. If you are, then sweet dreams.:)

Reactions: hh1

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Fairygodmother . What a wonderful name for your knee. Hamish, a name that conjure up many memories from my teenage years.
I guess a few options would have been....... Neil / Kneel :)
Tony/ toe Knee:)

I’ll get my coat.:banghead:

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@Fairygodmother . What a wonderful name for your knee. Hamish, a name that conjure up many memories from my teenage years.
I guess a few options would have been....... Neil / Kneel :)
Tony/ toe Knee:)

I’ll get my coat.:banghead:

Love them! Hamish = ham (as in calves - human ones not a meat mixup + ish nearly the calf, and as I’m an old woman I should have weak hams, but no, it’s the knee that went knackety) I can also wear a sporran on it to keep it warm in cold weather with a special pocket for jelly babies?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I suppose it depends where day ends and night starts. :):):).
But for me you are most definitely the first to post such a thought provoking post.
I assume you’re not actually going too bed at this very moment. If you are, then sweet dreams.:)
I’m seriously tempted! But ought to stay up to see the husbeast when he gets home :)

Reactions: porl69 and therower

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Would that be Robert Carlyle as Hamish Macbeth in contrast to his role as Begby (which released around the same time)?
Between you and me , and let it go no further. At school 4 of us decided to set up our own little gang/ secret clan. Obviously we needed alternative names.....are you following? Hoping you won’t be needing any clues to my alter ego. It actually caught onto such an extent that even the teachers called me Hamish. This was back in the seventies when times were different :):):)

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Anyone experiencing difficulties in access the forum. Normally pages turn over really quick but for past2/3 days it is taking about 30 seconds for page to update. All of the time in bottom left corner is a small message "waiting for apis.google.com" whuich stays there even once page finally loads.

All other websites I use seem fine. I have even set my computer back to factory default settings but made no difference. This happens with Chrome but Edge is even slower

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Anyone experiencing difficulties in access the forum. Normally pages turn over really quick but for past2/3 days it is taking about 30 seconds for page to update. All of the time in bottom left corner is a small message "waiting for apis.google.com" whuich stays there even once page finally loads.

All other websites I use seem fine. I have even set my computer back to factory default settings but made no difference. This happens with Chrome but Edge is even slower
I have had no problem - touching wood hastily

Reactions: porl69