Mollyc1995

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
beliw is everything I’ve eaten today, I do check my meals before and after, (2-3 hrs) I have had no huge spikes in bg susally goes up 1.5-2 mmol.
I do workout in the Morning and went for a 30 min walk this afternoon....does what I ate today seem okay? I know everyone is different and may completely avoid sugar but I believe moderation is key.

Meal one: mackerel fillet, tomatoes, mushrooms and scarMbled egg

Snack: cheddar and pickled onions

Meal2: quinoa and egg salad

Meal 3: salmon, broccoli and carrots 1/2 cup of brown rice

After dinner: aero bubble bar ( standard size)36g

I added everything in the my fitness pal app and say I had 79g carbs, 84g fat 79g protein

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
It's still lowish carb honestly and well under the usual recommendation and if you are losing weight then it's good. 2 mmol is a little much in some regards but if it's not spiking over 7ish then it's not too bad. Only you really can take control of your condition but make sure to change things if it doesn't stay within your limits.

Mollyc1995

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's still lowish carb honestly and well under the usual recommendation and if you are losing weight then it's good. 2 mmol is a little much in some regards but if it's not spiking over 7ish then it's not too bad. Only you really can take control of your condition but make sure to change things if it doesn't stay within your limits.
Thanks, no it doesn’t go over 7mmol... it’s usually between 6.5-6.9 1-2 hrs after meal....I always thought aslong as it’s no higher than 2 mmol after meals it’s a good sign your body is adjusting to it? And when I’ve looked at charts on a diabetic vs non diabetic, a non didactic levels 2hrs after a meal is no higher than 2 mmol from their pre meal reading, so I alway thought that’s good

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
Thanks, no it doesn’t go over 7mmol... it’s usually between 6.5-6.9 1-2 hrs after meal....I always thought aslong as it’s no higher than 2 mmol after meals it’s a good sign your body is adjusting to it? And when I’ve looked at charts on a diabetic vs non diabetic, a non didactic levels 2hrs after a meal is no higher than 2 mmol from their pre meal reading, so I alway thought that’s good

It all depends on your targets there and it would be worth testing an hour after than 2 hours after to make sure it doesn't give you an even bigger spike at that point. Anything above 2 mmol is usually too much.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
beliw is everything I’ve eaten today, I do check my meals before and after, (2-3 hrs) I have had no huge spikes in bg susally goes up 1.5-2 mmol.
I do workout in the Morning and went for a 30 min walk this afternoon....does what I ate today seem okay? I know everyone is different and may completely avoid sugar but I believe moderation is key.

I added everything in the my fitness pal app and say I had 79g carbs, 84g fat 79g protein
It’s not too far removed from my own diet. :D

On the question of balance it depends what one wants to balance it in favour of but as a moderate to low carber it doesn’t look too bad. I wonder what the big guns might have to say?

Last edited:

Mollyc1995

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It’s not to far removed from my own diet. :D

On the question of balance it depends what one wants to balance it in favour of but as a moderate to low carber it doesn’t look too bad. I wonder what the big guns might have to say?

From my previous diet I feel it’s a lot more balanced, I know veggies and fruits are key with healthy carbs, proteins and fats, and of course I feel there’s nothing wrong with a little chocolate now and then or gaining something uoubdo t usually have is okay in moderation

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
From my previous diet I feel it’s a lot more balanced, I know veggies and fruits are key with healthy carbs, proteins and fats, and of course I feel there’s nothing wrong with a little chocolate now and then or gaining something uoubdo t usually have is okay in moderation
Do you check all you eat against meter readings? Wait. I see you do. Sorry.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
What do you mean by balanced?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

If its working for you, and your blood sugar levels are OK with it, it looks fine to me.

I personally would not have the chocolate, as for me it sets up carb cravings and I would feel like I want to eat more carbs. It may not affect you that way.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Mollyc1995 - As a matter of interest, what does the Aero bar do to your blood glucose score?

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

Seems find to me although did you test after the Aero bar? I find that if I have chocolate I am better off having the 70% or more.

Reactions: lovinglife

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As in does it seem like a healthy diet
If what you are doing is working for you then that is good. We are all different in what works for us personally so when we find the way that does we stick with it

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wouldn't have eaten the aero bar - it was almost half of your carbs for the day, everything else doesn't look too bad and your numbers seem ok - I think if you'd tested at 30 minutes and 1 hour after your aero bar you would have been shocked at how high your numbers were

There are loads of much better ways to get your chocolate hit - try a couple of squares of high percentage chocolate- if you need to wean yourself off the sweetness of milk chocolate start at 2 squares of 70% - then built up to the higher ones. Make a mousse with some whipped cream, a square or two of high% chocolate and sweetener if you need it. There are recipes for low carb chocolate cakes all over the internet :)

I agree you have to find you're own way that works for you long term and doesn't make you miserable but eating chocolate bars full of sugar isn't really the way to go

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

Mollyc1995

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wouldn't have eaten the aero bar - it was almost half of your carbs for the day, everything else doesn't look too bad and your numbers seem ok - I think if you'd tested at 30 minutes and 1 hour after your aero bar you would have been shocked at how high your numbers were

There are loads of much better ways to get your chocolate hit - try a couple of squares of high percentage chocolate- if you need to wean yourself off the sweetness of milk chocolate start at 2 squares of 70% - then built up to the higher ones. Make a mousse with some whipped cream, a square or two of high% chocolate and sweetener if you need it. There are recipes for low carb chocolate cakes all over the internet :)

I agree you have to find you're own way that works for you long term and doesn't make you miserable but eating chocolate bars full of sugar isn't really the way to go
I don’t chocolate like that everyday, I usually have smaller bars compared to the standard size, but I just fancied one whilst I was out. Surely a one off doesn’t hurt?

Mollyc1995

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I don’t do ultra low carb as from checking my metre my body seems to handle carbs okay like brown rice, Quinoa, wholegrain bread - aslong as I have a reasonable portion

Reactions: Pinkorchid

Mollyc1995

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Seems find to me although did you test after the Aero bar? I find that if I have chocolate I am better off having the 70% or more.
Unfortunately no as I was out and didn’t have my meter with me, but I have had similar things before with the sameish amount of carbs, sugar and fat and my meter has never gone over 2 mmol from my pre eating reading, and I usually have it after my dinner and all seems okay.

I’m really trying with the diet and I am losing weight, I’m just trying to see what foods I can have on occasion like once a week or month but not making my numbers go sky high, I follow slimming world which limits those amount of treat s you can have anyway and hoping the plan will work okay with my blood sugar which so far it is.

Reactions: Daphne917

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don’t chocolate like that everyday, I usually have smaller bars compared to the standard size, but I just fancied one whilst I was out. Surely a one off doesn’t hurt?

As with everything in life it depends on what you want to achieve.
If you want to maintain a very low HbA1c for as long as possible with only diet then I'd miss out the tomatoes, the morning snack, the quinoa, the carrots, definitely the rice and the aero bar.
Replace those with say more of the low carb stuff like eggs or mackerel, a coffee with cream to replace the snack, tuna salad with eggs or an omelette, and then maybe spinach broccoli or cauliflower with the evening salmon.
You may not get much of a spike from those things at all.
Add in a few squares of some very dark low carb chocolate like Lindt Excellence 90% , or the Cavalier stevia sweetened 85% choc for a treat and you'll be good to go.
But as others have said that's me.. I don't like spikes of any kind and try to stay under 6 at all times.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
One of the tags you have entered in your OP is "type 2 diabetic reversal". I'm afraid that rice and milk chocolate will not be helpful if this is a goal that you have set for yourself. Having a 'one off' treat is ok until that one off becomes weekly then daily and it just prolongs the carb craving for some people.