Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don’t chocolate like that everyday, I usually have smaller bars compared to the standard size, but I just fancied one whilst I was out. Surely a one off doesn’t hurt?
I have dropped milk chocolate out of my day. I do not eat it anymore. I haven’t eaten milk chocolate since the end of January. I do eat small bars of 85% chocolate that I buy from Aldi. I have to say I do not enjoy it especially, but eat it all the same, just to add variety to my diet overall. One bar every other day at 4.6grams of carbs per bar.

Last edited:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I have dropped milk chocolate out of my day. I do not eat it anymore. I haven’t eaten milk chocolate since the end of January. I do eat small bars of 85% chocolate that I buy from Aldi. I have to say I do not enjoy it especially, but eat it all the same, just to add variety to my diet overall. One bar every other day at 4.6grams of carbs per bar.

Why eat something that you're not fussy on? There is a wealth of choice out there. Every other day is not a treat esp if you don't like it. While dark chocolate has its merits and for some people is an aquired taste I do not see the rationale in your decision.

Mollyc1995

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do like dark chocolate, but usually 70%, don’t usually like any higher, some days I’ll have dark choc someday I’ll have a little normal milk choc, I don’t tend to get more cravings for it, I usually have it after dinner and I feel satisfied.
I do check my bs to ensure I don’t get huge spikes, so far my bs and weightloss is going down so something is working for sure

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
I do like dark chocolate, but usually 70%, don’t usually like any higher, some days I’ll have dark choc someday I’ll have a little normal milk choc, I don’t tend to get more cravings for it, I usually have it after dinner and I feel satisfied.
I do check my bs to ensure I don’t get huge spikes, so far my bs and weightloss is going down so something is working for sure

Downward trends are ALWAYS good really and it's just a case of getting used to it, loathed the dark stuff myself but now I can eat it quite happily. You gotta do what works for you and what your aims are and if you're doing well then we are always going to cheer you on.

ChristieM

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was diagnosed in September 2016. I weighed 73 kilos and my HA1BC was 12. (Can’t remember the equivalent). Despite having a family history of type 2 diabetes I was unaware of this site but using my ‘common sense’ immediately limited myself to a maximum of 120 g of carbs per day. After 3 months my HA1BC was 45 and after 7 months I weighed 60 kilos. My HA1BC remained 45 until 3 months ago it went down to 41. I do test myself and it seems to be fine still. If I do get a high reading, usually after eating away from home, it goes down to an acceptable level after 3/4 hours. This what I eat and what I don’t.
Breakfast. 2 extremely thin slices of low GI seeded bread toasted with cheese and butter or small folded seeded flatbread with butter and scraping of sugar free peanut butter or Greek yoghurt with or without a few berries or a 1/4 teaspoon of lime curd.
Lunch Greek salad or soup or eggs or toast (if yoghurt for breakfast) or even a scone or toasted tea cake on occasion!
Dinner anything except potatoes( apart from a couple of pre-cooked and then fried new potatoes) rice pasta more bread or other beige carbs. I do occasionally have approx 5 oven chips with no effect on my BG. Ditto precooked and reheated rice - tablespoonful or so. I don’t restrict myself to above ground veg, although I have small portions of parsnip for example. Pudding is Greek yoghurt with berries or sometimes other fruits during the week, a small amount of ‘normal’ pudding at the weekends especially ice cream. Snacks consist of Nature Valley protein bars or Babybel cheeses or nuts. This what I’ve done since diagnosis. It’s not exceptionally low carb and certainly not Keto but it works for me.

M

Member496333

Well it’s not a balance that I would choose with diabetes reversal in mind, but only you know if you’re happy with it.

ChristieM

Type of diabetes
Type 2
But so far I have (just) reversed it! I believe 41 is 1 below the 42 -48 scale for pre-diabetes.

Mollyc1995

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed in September 2016. I weighed 73 kilos and my HA1BC was 12. (Can’t remember the equivalent). Despite having a family history of type 2 diabetes I was unaware of this site but using my ‘common sense’ immediately limited myself to a maximum of 120 g of carbs per day. After 3 months my HA1BC was 45 and after 7 months I weighed 60 kilos. My HA1BC remained 45 until 3 months ago it went down to 41. I do test myself and it seems to be fine still. If I do get a high reading, usually after eating away from home, it goes down to an acceptable level after 3/4 hours. This what I eat and what I don’t.
Breakfast. 2 extremely thin slices of low GI seeded bread toasted with cheese and butter or small folded seeded flatbread with butter and scraping of sugar free peanut butter or Greek yoghurt with or without a few berries or a 1/4 teaspoon of lime curd.
Lunch Greek salad or soup or eggs or toast (if yoghurt for breakfast) or even a scone or toasted tea cake on occasion!
Dinner anything except potatoes( apart from a couple of pre-cooked and then fried new potatoes) rice pasta more bread or other beige carbs. I do occasionally have approx 5 oven chips with no effect on my BG. Ditto precooked and reheated rice - tablespoonful or so. I don’t restrict myself to above ground veg, although I have small portions of parsnip for example. Pudding is Greek yoghurt with berries or sometimes other fruits during the week, a small amount of ‘normal’ pudding at the weekends especially ice cream. Snacks consist of Nature Valley protein bars or Babybel cheeses or nuts. This what I’ve done since diagnosis. It’s not exceptionally low carb and certainly not Keto but it works for me.

That’s great, and well done on just getting it reversed! I eat some of the similar things to you, on occasion I will eat potatoes and wholewheat pasta but never a huge portion and it doesn’t spike my bs.

ChristieM

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I forgot to add the (to be honest) regular 10g of 85% chocolate! Otherwise The important terms are ‘sometimes’ ‘occasionally ‘ and ‘small portion‘. Frankly my aim is to avoid diabetic complications and my research indicates that at these levels I am at low risk of them. I regard myself as a diabetic whose BG levels mean that I am unlikely to have complications but I need to be careful to maintain this situation and I intend staying at these levels or a bit lower but do not feel the need for very, very low figures.

Reactions: Pinkorchid

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have tried the 85% but did not really like it so tend not to go above 70%. I have a mix of Lindt, Hotel Chocolat and Green&Blacks. If your current diet is working for you and you are content with it stick with it. We are all individuals with different tolerances eg I have maintained a non-diabetic hba1c for approx 5 years and now eat an average of 100 to 120g carbs a day.

ChristieM

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have tried the 85% but did not really like it so tend not to go above 70%. I have a mix of Lindt, Hotel Chocolat and Green&Blacks. If your current diet is working for you and you are content with it stick with it. We are all individuals with different tolerances eg I have maintained a non-diabetic hba1c for approx 5 years and now eat an average of 100 to 120g carbs a day.
That’s really heartening to hear! One of my favourites is Aldi’s 85% and coincidentally cheaper than others!

Mollyc1995

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That’s great you’ve maintained it for 5 years, proves what you doing is working....I have a long way to go, but whatever doesn’t work I will change

Reactions: Pinkorchid

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
That’s great you’ve maintained it for 5 years, proves what you doing is working....I have a long way to go, but whatever doesn’t work I will change
It’s trial and error at first but by testing you can determine how different foods affect your BS and you can adjust accordingly.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I forgot to add the (to be honest) regular 10g of 85% chocolate! Otherwise The important terms are ‘sometimes’ ‘occasionally ‘ and ‘small portion‘. Frankly my aim is to avoid diabetic complications and my research indicates that at these levels I am at low risk of them. I regard myself as a diabetic whose BG levels mean that I am unlikely to have complications but I need to be careful to maintain this situation and I intend staying at these levels or a bit lower but do not feel the need for very, very low figures.
Me too. And if I need to get a bit more radical with the diet then I will.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Again, not too far adrift from my own diet except I don’t eat pasta, potato’s or rice now. I was eating small portions of brown rice but stopped that but do eat a slice of the Burgan bread most days.

First.Officer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Once every so often (Aero) is not going to kill the guy and moreover, highly unlikely to make any kind of dent in the HbA1c if it’s no more than once every week or so. Of course everyone handles things in different ways but there are some real scaremongers on these sites it seems.

Reactions: andi2508

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Once every so often (Aero) is not going to kill the guy and moreover, highly unlikely to make any kind of dent in the HbA1c if it’s no more than once every week or so. Of course everyone handles things in different ways but there are some real scaremongers on these sites it seems.

I see no scaremongering. I see an OP asking for opinions, some of those opinions differ, that is all.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally I would chose to have a big bowl of salad stuff rather than things like quinoa, or rice as they are not exactly stacked with vitamins and minerals.
Also I only eat twice a day, so bland starches would get boring rather quickly.
As this can be a way of eating for long periods - I'll be low carb for life, I think, variety is important, even if you can achieve the low blood glucose on that level of carbs, maintaining it is vital. Rather than thinking about balance, go for tasty, interesting and varied - I still enjoy a low carb way of eating and I first tried it in the early 1970s.

M

Member496333

When you ask for opinions from a potential audience of some seven billion people, you’re going to get a broad spectrum of responses. I would respectfully suggest that your response is possibly the least constructive so far - labelling those who don’t share your views as “scaremongers”. We are all adults and I’m sure we can all disagree amicably ;)

Reactions: WuTwo